Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#661   ^
Old Sat, Aug-12-17, 05:01

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...70810120431.htm

Quote:
Aging is exacerbated by alterations of stem cell circadian rhythm
Stem cell functions continue to be governed by day and night cycles (circadian rhythms) during ageing, but their rhythms become devoted to tissue repair and not to the maintenance of tissue tone

Quote:
Two new studies refute the scientific dogma associating aging with the loss of stem cell circadian rhythm. The studies show that during aging, stem cells continue to show rhythmic activity but reprogram their circadian functions. The team also demonstrate that a low-calorie diet delays alterations in the rhythmic functions of stem cells and slows down ageing.

Quote:
Specific reprogramming for each tissue

Gene reprogramming occurs, for example, in response to accumulated DNA damage, inflamed tissues, and an inefficient cell self-cleaning process (autophagy).

"Although ageing always involves circadian reprogramming, an interesting aspect of our results is that such reprogramming is specific and distinct for each type of tissue studied. This observation implies that although the entire organism is ageing, each tissue goes through this process in a different way. So to address the slowing down of ageing, it will be necessary to study each tissue separately," explains Pura Muñoz-Cánoves, ICREA researcher with the Department of Experimental and Health Sciences at the Pompeu Fabra University and co-author of one of the studies.

Some themes common to some stuff we've looked at on this thread here, Valter Longo's fasting and fasting-mimicking stuff especially. Maybe we can throw in getting out of our stem cells way and letting them do their job as a plausible benefit of fasting. Along with Longo's observation of an improvement in stem cell quality and regeneration with fasting. But maybe it's sort of the same thing, if they're not busy "putting out fires" of inflammation etc., maybe resources can go towards improving the stem cells themselves.

https://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-...-immune-system/
Sponsored Links
  #662   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-17, 11:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Check out the long-awaited newly re-designed IDM website!

https://idmprogram.com

The blog: https://idmprogram.com/blog/
  #663   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-17, 14:38

BF:

I like the section for podcasts, looking forward to hearing Megan's thoughts on practical approaches to fasting again.
  #664   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 06:00
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

We here probably don't need to join the program, but I'm glad it's being offered. Price point- Whew! We're lucky when found the doctor before he got rich and famous.
  #665   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 14:27

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

IDMP has a nice, intuitive design and layout. I'm pleased to see a continuation of the blog, videos, and podcasts. I wish Jason and Megan well in this venture. They present a great opportunity to enable patients to learn how to help themselves.
  #666   ^
Old Mon, Sep-04-17, 02:35

I too wonder what is planned for the podcast section. A few months ago I wrote to IDM that the "Media" section had only a few entries from early 2016. Dr Fung had given a number of informative podcasts that should be added as they were good resources, plus Megan's. IDM replied they were planning to update the media links for the re-design, there is so much more that could be included. The old website is still available for now.
  #667   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 02:42

Dr Fung shared this new article in The Guardian about the Silicon Valley biohackers who use fasting. There have been previous articles in US tech and business magazines...this crosses into international health and diet news. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...diet-is-it-safe
  #668   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 12:35

BF:

"You need to be a weirdo like me to get into this."

Well, yes, that's one way to describe IF!

Good article from The Guardian.
  #669   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 14:53

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

From the article:
Quote:
"...Woo now does a weekly 36-hour fast and a quarterly three-day fast. It’s given him a better grasp of his own sense of hunger."

Sensible!
  #670   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 05:49

BF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm626MgpveI

Quote:
Dr. Guido Kroemer on Autophagy, Caloric Restriction Mimetics, Fasting & Protein Acetylation

I thought people interested in fasting and autophagy might like this interview. Some interesting factoids. He mentions exercise being ineffective vs. diabetes in mice if you block autophagy. Also, the calorie restriction researchers often fail to popularize some of their observations. One is the decrease in immune function that can lead to increased death from infection. Another--the mice have to be individually caged, to keep them from filling up on other mice.

Also touches on the difficulty of ascertaining autophagy in humans vs mice and in intact animals vs. cell cultures. A common claim is that any amount of protein, even micrograms in coffee, will shut down autophagy, Dr. Fung himself has said this. But this is based on cell cultures, were the extracellular amino acids available to the cells can be brought to a very low level, lower than can happen in an intact animal. If you're worried about micrograms of amino acids from coffee shutting down autophagy, you'd better be very concerned about the hundreds of grams of protein turnover that happens in a human being daily, whether they ate or not. The liver secretes quite a bit of protein into the intestine to be digested and recycled, on a daily basis. Incidentally, he also brings up a study he was involved in where coffee increased autophagy. This isn't to knock people who just stick to water during the non-eating part of their IF, for one thing, abstaining can be safer than the slippery road of "just a little bit of this couldn't hurt."
  #671   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 06:31

Thank goodness for that summary teaser. Good news as I sip my second big coffee of the morning
  #672   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 07:03

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Thank goodness for that summary teaser. Good news as I sip my second big coffee of the morning

I'm not giving up my coffee. I always believe any study that says it has a positive effect on health. Anything else I ignore.

Jean
  #673   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 10:17

BF:

Thanks for the link, teaser. FoundMyFitness has excellent information, and Rhonda Patrick is a very knowledgeable, thoughtful, and expert interviewer. Watched the first 10 minutes and will come back later to complete this interview.
  #674   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 11:23

BF:

Finished the interview, and I'm very impressed with Dr. Guido Kroemer and his findings. Most of all, drinking wine and eating smelly cheese, drinking coffee, and IF are all things that will help in a number of ways. Wouldn't want it any other way!
  #675   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 12:27

Wine and smelly cheese too?! I like this guy and have not even heard the podcast yet. But I am listening to this week's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" podcast and the Silicon Valley fasting group made it into their show...so that Guardian article did make fasting more mainstream, even if comedy news.