Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-11, 02:02

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Stevia to be sold in the UK

Quote:
From The Times
29 November, 2011

A sweet dream for slimmers?

What is the new sweetener, Stevia, made of and is safe?

Stevia is an intense sweetener derived from stevia rebaudiana, a shrub-like plant indigenous to Paraguay. Its leaves, which look like a cross between basil and mint, contain naturally occurring, sweet-tasting substances that scientists call steviosides.

The leaves are up to 300 times sweeter than ordinary table sugar and have been used for centuries in Paraguayan cooking. However, it wasn’t until 1955 that scientists extracted steviosides and analysed their precise structure.

Japan was the first country outside South America to really embrace stevia. At first people simply used the leaves but from the early Seventies steviosides were extracted from the plant and put in a range of products. Other countries including Australia, New Zealand and Singapore followed.

Authorities in the United States gave the go-ahead for stevia to be used in food two years ago. It can now be found in tabletop sweeteners as well as many other products, including vitamin waters and sports drinks.

Ten days ago Europe also gave it the thumbs up and sweeteners such as Pure Via will arrive in UK stores on Friday. Pure Via consists of naturally sourced bulking agents and stevia, and contains two calories per teaspoon versus 16 calories in a teaspoon of sugar.

Unlike some intense sweeteners on the market, stevia is heat (and pH) stable. This means that it is suitable for cooking. For example, the tabletop version can be used in fruit scones, muffins and biscuits. It also works well in hot chocolate and chai teas.

Another advantage is its “natural feel”. The maker of Pure Via reports that half of its customers in France are new to the low-calorie sweetener market, implying that they are more comfortable with a plant-based intense sweetener than one that has been created in a lab.

It is likely that you will see the new sweetener in everything from “stevia-cubes” and sachets to fruit-flavoured fromage frais, custards, rice puddings, yoghurts and soft drinks. Although Pure Via will offer a wide range of products, Tate & Lyle is also entering the market.

Industry insiders are predicting products that you can put in your sugar bowl and blends of stevia and sugar that will offer an even more natural alternative to sugar. Watch this space.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/healt...icle3241225.ece

Last edited by Demi : Tue, Nov-29-11 at 02:29.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-11, 16:51

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 202/175/150 Female 5ft3 / 63in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Yes! finally! Splenda just doesn't taste right in the things I've tried to bake.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-12, 09:26

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default Waitrose now sell it

I saw a variety of Stevia-containing packs with the other sweeteners today.
some have maltodextrin as the bulk filler, but I bought one with erythritol instead as I think it is one of the Sugar alcohols at affect me the least.

Quite expensive, £3.32 for 180 servings (each 1/3 teaspoon is supposed to be = to 1 teaspoon of sugar) but the shelf label said this is their special starting price, and that it will be closer to a fiver in a short while so I bought 2 jars.

They also sell boxes of single serving packets

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Browse...true&langId=-11