Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 16:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/146/154 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 127%
Question Advice on zero-carb goodies in UK supermarkets?

I'm still VERY new to Atkins (only just started week 2 of induction). But as I've gradually been reading through some of the threads on these forums, I've noticed people occasionally mentioning delicious-sounding products - which are free of carbs (eg, various salad dressings, syrups, jelly, etc).

But the posters all seem to be based in the USA or Canada, so there's no possibility of me popping out to the supermarket to buy some! LOL!

So, my question is this - are there many (any?) zero-carb items available in UK supermarkets? I have access to ASDA, Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsburys, LIDL, ALDI and Co-op. I'd be more than grateful for any suggestions.

I realise that once I get more proficient I will be be able to make my own recipes for various things. But in the meantime I am looking for things that will either make meat and/or salads taste more appealing, and possibly provide a sweet-tasting option to make me feel less sorry for myself for giving up cakes and sweets!! LOL!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

x
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 17:15

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

If I'm not mistaken, part of the difference in carb count on the labels in the UK is that your labels always list the nutrition stats for 100g of the food. In the US, labels list the nutrition stats for one serving of the food.

In the US, a serving might be an ounce (some cereals), or it might be 1 tsp (mustard), or it might be 3 ounces (meat), or a cup (other cereals), or 2 cups (raw spinach), 1 Tablespoon (mayo) or even a certain number of pieces (snacky things like pretzels), or a portion of the whole item (candy bar), or even based on some vague amount that nobody outside of the grocery business has any idea what it really means (large apples). Every serving size over here is different.

So basically what you'll need to do is figure out what portion of 100 g would equal a serving of the food (or how much more than 100 g your normal serving size would be), and use that to figure out the amount for one serving.

There are a lot of things that are pretty much counted as zero carbs over here, which aren't really truly zero carb - they would probably have less than 1 g of carbs per serving though, since the illustrious USDA says they don't have to list it on the label if it's less than 1 g.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 04:21
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo-ish
Stats: 156.0/150.6/140.0 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Tesco's own sugar free jelly has splenda as the sweetener, and it's quite low carb.

I've found some tips on the Pig 2 Twig forum (India Knight's diet book) as they are mostly in the UK. Lowcarbmegastore (just google that) are quite good as they in the uk. Otherwise, it's worth looking on eBay. I think a lot of people on the board would say to keep away from the "frankenfoods" and concentrate on meat, eggs and veg.

Personally, I bought Karen Barnaby's Low Carb cookbook and make cakes from there when I'm desperate! Also if you're in absolute dire straits and in need of immediate fix, you can get Atkins bars in Boots (best selection) or Tesco.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 10:47

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Before indulging in Atkins bars, I strongly recommend reading this article on whether to "count" sugar alcohols in your net carb count.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-10, 14:25

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Lidl has bradwursts and brockwurst, two types of very low carb sausages and also a sugar and thickener free ketchup.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-10, 16:46
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerh
Tesco's own sugar free jelly has splenda as the sweetener, and it's quite low carb.

I've found some tips on the Pig 2 Twig forum (India Knight's diet book) as they are mostly in the UK. Lowcarbmegastore (just google that) are quite good as they in the uk. Otherwise, it's worth looking on eBay. I think a lot of people on the board would say to keep away from the "frankenfoods" and concentrate on meat, eggs and veg.

Personally, I bought Karen Barnaby's Low Carb cookbook and make cakes from there when I'm desperate! Also if you're in absolute dire straits and in need of immediate fix, you can get Atkins bars in Boots (best selection) or Tesco.

Thanks Tiger! I'll definitely try the sugar-free jelly. I've ordered some stuff from Lowcarbmegastore (but I can't use them until I'm finished with induction - so I haven't even risked opening the bos they came in! LOL!). I've also order Karen Barnaby's book, thanks.

I think I wouldn't want to try any of the Atkins bars, because they seem to get a bad write-up from lots of members on here. So probably best avoided.

Thanks again!

x
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-10, 16:48
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
Lidl has bradwursts and brockwurst, two types of very low carb sausages and also a sugar and thickener free ketchup.

Thanks Robert! That's just the kind of thing I'm hoping for (the ketchup, that is). I'm not a huge meat fan, so I want to be able to find things to accompany meat to make it more appetising (gravys, sauces, any kind of flavourings, etc). I'll maybe try the sausages too.

Thanks for the suggestions!

x
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-10, 16:50
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
There are a lot of things that are pretty much counted as zero carbs over here, which aren't really truly zero carb - they would probably have less than 1 g of carbs per serving though, since the illustrious USDA says they don't have to list it on the label if it's less than 1 g.

That's very interesting. I didn't realise that. I'll certainly bear that in mind next time I read about someone describing a product as zero carbs.

Thanks!

x