Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-17, 16:21
Registered Member

Plan: High fat, low carb
Stats: 225/179/180 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Costco settles class action lawsuit over their "healthy" coconut oil

I just got a notice in the mail saying I'm eligible to file a claim in a just-settled lawsuit made against Costco for their claim that their coconut oil was "healthy". First I've heard of it.

Quote:
Purchasers of Costco coconut oil can qualify for reimbursement under terms of a recent $775,000 class action settlement.

This Costco class action lawsuit began in March 2016, when plaintiffs James Boswell and Malia Levin challenged representations on Costco coconut oil that present the product as “healthy.” The product at issue comes in a 42.3-ounce jar and is sold under the Kirkland label, Costco’s house brand, often sold in two-jar packs.

The plaintiffs accuse Costco of exploiting consumer interest in foods that are perceived as being “healthy.” Coconut oil has a substantial amount of saturated fat, which increases the chance of cardiovascular disease, stroke, and other dangerous diseases, the plaintiffs say. That risk makes Costco coconut oil inherently unhealthy and a less healthy alternative to other fats and oils.

After more than a year of discovery, preliminary motions and mediation sessions, the parties agreed to this class action settlement in May 2017. The settlement requires Costco to put up a $775,000 settlement fund to cover compensation for Class Members. This fund will also cover the plaintiffs’ service awards, court costs, class counsel’s attorneys’ fees, and the costs of administering the settlement.

Costco has also agreed to remove the terms “healthy” and “healthful” from the label of Costco coconut oil and to refrain from any future use of those terms or any variation of the term “healthy.”

Although Costco has agreed to the settlement, it maintains that it has done nothing wrong. The settlement agreement does not require Costco to make any admissions, and the court has not issued any decision on liability.

Class Members who want to be excluded from the settlement must do so in writing by Oct. 30, 2017. Those who want to object to the settlement’s terms must file their objections by Nov. 13, 2017.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...ion-settlement/

I was just thinking earlier, what would stop someone from claiming that organic butter, lard and tallow were healthy. Ah, now I see. A class action lawsuit.
Sponsored Links