Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-18, 09:30

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I actually find it laughable that he even considers there to be a war on bread. Really? I see tons of bread go out of the grocery store where I work on a daily basis. Baguettes, sourdoughs, those huge, long Italian and French loaves, whole grains, white breads, challah, rye breads, flat breads, pitas, hot dog buns, burger buns, sub rolls, sandwich rolls and dinner rolls of all shapes and sizes... they all sell in astounding numbers. To say nothing of the bagels, muffins, and donuts - And that's just from the in-store bakery! Tons more bread of all kinds is sold from the commercial bread aisle - we have one person working for several hours every single day just replenishing the stock of bread in the commercial bread aisle.

So what's happening to all this bread if there's such a war on it? Are the buyers taking it out to use for target practice? That would be the sign of an actual war on it.

And why does several times more bread sell when there's any threat of snow in the forecast? I've seen some people leave there with 15-20 loaves of bread the day before even a small storm is forecast, as if they somehow believe they'll be snowbound for several weeks by an inch or two of snow, and they're so enamoured with bread that they want zero risk of running out of bread.

War on bread, my foot.

Some people don't eat bread - I'm one of them of course. But the vast majority of people eat it, and eat lots of it every single day, so I'm not buying the idea that there's any kind of real war on bread. Sales may just not be increasing the way they did 30 years ago when the propaganda promoting 6-11 slices daily first started, but it's hardly the poor improperly maligned victim of paleo, keto, and LC in general that they would have you believe.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-18, 09:56

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
And why does several times more bread sell when there's any threat of snow in the forecast? I've seen some people leave there with 15-20 loaves of bread the day before even a small storm is forecast, as if they somehow believe they'll be snowbound for several weeks by an inch or two of snow, and they're so enamoured with bread that they want zero risk of running out of bread.

It's the French Toast Syndrome - they also stock up on milk & eggs.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-18, 10:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
It's the French Toast Syndrome - they also stock up on milk & eggs.

And TP - don't forget the TP! You're going to need it, if you eat that much french toast!
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-18, 11:47

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
And TP - don't forget the TP! You're going to need it, if you eat that much french toast!

Yeah, what is it with the stocking on up TP?!?!? That is what I see most.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-18, 12:17

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

People lurking on the canned meat isle before a hurricane made me and another lady laugh one day as we discussed that if the hurricane doesn't come, we're going to have to eat this stuff anyway!
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-18, 05:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Yeah, what is it with the stocking on up TP?!?!? That is what I see most.

I assume it's primarily because everyone uses TP. Not everyone drinks milk, not everyone eats eggs (the cholesterol - horrors!!!), not everyone even eats bread. But no matter what you eat, you still need TP, and when you're snowed in is certainly not a time when you want to run out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
People lurking on the canned meat isle before a hurricane made me and another lady laugh one day as we discussed that if the hurricane doesn't come, we're going to have to eat this stuff anyway!

A lot of people save their receipt, and return the excess milk and bread they hoarded for a storm afterwards. Sadly, anything that's perishable can't be returned to the shelf, because once perishables go outside the store's doors, there's no way to be sure it's been stored properly. (Some stores may refuse to accept perishable returns. Our store takes them though) Canned items may be a nuisance to restock, but at least they can be returned to the shelves.

Although when it comes to canned meat, if you only bought it for an emergency that didn't happen, and don't really like it, you can always donate it to a food bank. Donate canned meat, tuna fish, peanut butter... the food bank will be so very grateful to have something more nutritious to give to the hungry than the bread, pasta, and cereal most people donate.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-18, 08:16

Plan: restrict carbs
Stats: 210/170/160 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

its kinda like the war on christmas. hey, now that i think of it, i haven't seen a christmas tree in about 6 - 7 weeks. hmmmmm...
gw
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-18, 08:26

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Oh, this is fun! I can jump into an "argument" without bothering to look at the source. I mean, Dr. Oz?? Come on!

I've just come home from a short visit to New York (city). Millions of people milling around, and behold! Not all of them are obese! And that's a wonder, because one noticeable feature of New York to us visitors from the stix is the presence of a pastry opportunity every fifty feet. Somebody in that city is consuming mega-tonnage of pastry every day. It doesn't keep well!

And of course, that's aside from regular baguettes, sandwiches, tacos, pastas, and pizzas. Why isn't everybody in New York City dead already?? There is no War on Bread.

Personally I've come to regard bread etc. as a waste of appetite. There are things more delicious to fill me up. But I've cultivated that attitude very carefully.

I think we're right to regard Dr. Oz, Oprah, and many weight loss celebrities as entertainment rather than science.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-18, 13:07

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Entertainment is the correct word.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-18, 14:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I have to disagree that wheat products taste bad. They taste great and are addictive at the same time. That's why we have so much trouble staying away from them. As far as a war on bread that would be a good thing its not good for most of us but I don,t see it happening .
  #26   ^
Old Fri, May-18-18, 19:59

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
I didn't read the link because I want no lying rationalizations about bread good in my mind.

#27   ^
Old Sat, May-26-18, 22:17
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Dateline 20180206:

TV Doctor and Wellness Expert says, "It's Time to End the War on Bread!"

Film at 11

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/it-time-end-war-bread

This is the guy who started the whole gluten-free craze! Unbelievable.

The ladies at the office are constantly going to the bathroom pissing all day long too because he told them they'd die of dehydration if they didn't drink 8 gallons of water a day.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, May-27-18, 05:20

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I'm just now learning about gluten and leaky gut and the inflammation it can cause.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, May-28-18, 07:50

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Most grains also contain gliadin which can cause leaky gut & inflammation in people tolerant of gluten.