Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:20
Registered Member

Plan: My own thing
Stats: 215/192/160 Female '5 "6
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default HELP!!!! Sweets...I need(want) Sweets (Chocolate to be exact!!!)

Hi,

I just wanted to know if there was anything that anyone could recommend for curbing the cravings for sweets, specifically chocolate, while in the induction phase. I haven't cheated, but I feel like a fiend ready to run to the vending machine. I am constantly thinking about a good 'ole Hershey bar, and a bag of M&M'S, and choc chip cookies, and..well you get the point. This is my 5th day, and to be honest I don't know how in the world I have made it. I really do feel like a choc addict right now. I have never wanted something so badly that is so bad for me. I drink water all day, and when i get home I may have a cup of Crystal Light, and that is as close as I get to sweet. I feel like I am going to upchuck from eating so much meat. It's to the point where I will eat meatballs for dinner with some cucumbers and that is all. I am full, I couldn't eat more meat if you shoved it down, but I still crave chocolate, cake, donuts...anything!!! Help, is there something to take this craving away. If so I need it bad. I am afraid (honestly I am) that I might not be able to say no for much longer!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:39

Plan: Suzzane Somers
Stats: 247.5/191.5/125 Female 66in
BF:40%/31%/20%
Progress: 46%

Cheese can help with these kinds of cravings. Also, one thing that works for me is drinking flavored decaffinated coffee with heavy cream and using Atkins flavored syrup for sweetness (because the syrup is zero carb, as opposed to any other non-sugar sweetener you could use). That tends to satisfy my sweet tooth. If those things don't work for you, and you find you absolutely _have_ to have a sweet, I strongly suggest going out and getting some sugarless candy. Heh, I keep saying this, but I guess it's because for me it really works... sugarless candy may cause a stall on your diet, but it's much, much, MUCH better than the alternatives. Atkins makes a variety of candy bars and candy manufaturers also sometimes make sugarless versions of thier popular candies. (ex: sugarless Reese's peanut butter cups, sugarless Hershey's chocolate, sugarless Jelly Belly's, etc.) Even though these things aren't strictly kosher while on Atkins induction, it's far better than eating refined sugar. I don't even feel guilty when I eat those kinds of treats, kosher or not.

Hope this helps.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:48

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I eat sugarless candy, watch out for the kind of art. sweetener used though...Avoid the ones sweetened with Fructose...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

Try and stick to Induction for a minimum of the 2 weeks, the whole point is to break your carb cravings so try your hardest to stick with it!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:56
Registered Member

BF:

I am determined not to give up, and I also know that if I slip and cheat I wouldn't forgive myself and have to start this awful battle all over again. Don't get me wrong, I love not being bloated, sleepy in the middle of the day, or just worn out and unable to walk because of all the carbs, I just never knew I was this addicted to them. And the craving really hit when I am in a place where I would normally munch on candy bars, such as at work. I know bars of all kinds are a no-no right now. I also know that on the Atkins site you 'can' eat his bars, but I know if I touch anything it is down hill from there. I will do this, and do it the right way. By the way which is the bad fat, saturated or unsaturated? Anyway, Thanks for all of the advice. I hope you don't mind me whining,its either that or curse.

Suga'
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:58
Registered Member

Plan: Dr.Dahlkvist/PP/IF
Stats: 154/133/138 Female 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 131%

Try using nuts, or bake a cake with almond flour
and cocoa powder. Exercise moderation on these!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 10:10
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

The good fats are monounsaturated (the best kind) and polyunsaturated (to a degree). Also moderate amounts of saturated fat can't hurt you. The only really bad fat is trans-fat, which is included in processed goods, margarines, and the like. Avoid it completely.

As for cravings, I'm with you! What helps me is to have a salad with LOTS of olive oil. The rich, healthful fat really cuts down on the sugar cravings--trust me, it works, and it's completely legal on induction.

Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 10:23
Registered Member

Stats: 269/221/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

When I have a desperate craving for chocolate - I have sugar-free Jello pudding. I make it with equal parts half & half and water. I prefer the pudding that is cooked, but the instant works in a pinch. I ate this in induction and occasionally afterword. I have consistantly lost weight - so, I don't think it does any harm. Certainly not as much harm as a Hershey Bar cheat!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 10:29
Registered Member

BF:

You all are so wonderful for responding. I think I will try the sugar-free jello. At least it will help take the edge off. I don't think I need alot. Actually I don't need any, I just want it.

The Jello thing sound great. Thanks All

Suga'
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 10:36

Stats: 252/230/165 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 25%

There are certain times for me (ie. TOM) that I must have chocolate. It is not an option. I keep it to very small amount, but I eat sugar free chocolates and last week i got some sugar-free reeses peanut butter cups. I expect the little bag to last me for at least two months, as I said, I only allow myself a tiny bit. BUT, it fulfills my need for chocolate, and keeps me on the plan.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 10:40
Registered Member

BF:

The idea of getting sugar free chocolate sounds good to me, but i am worried that it will cause me to stall. I have only been doing this for 5 days now, but I already can tell I will be in the turtle club. I have PCOS and I think we (fellow Cysters) may tend to lose more slowly than others. Yes, I have visited the PCOS forum also, which is full of usefull information and support. I just don't want to do anything to send me back to square one. I expect to lose something within the next, at least, 9 days. Even if it is just my mind!!!!

Suga'
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 10:42
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

On of the reasons people crave chocolate during TOM is the need for extra iron. Try having a 4oz steak and 1/2 cup spinich maybe. There are sugar free chocolates out there, but they can stall some people, and during induction you do need to be breaking the sweets habit. If it is a matter of you need something or you will cheat though, I'd say pick up a low carb protien bar. You can also try Chocolate DiVincci syrup to sweeten tea or coffee to see if that helps.

There is also a suppliment in the Atkins book to help with sugar cravings. L-Glutamine I think.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 12:48

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I try to keep the chocolate monster at bay by offering sacfriices of a cup of cocoa every night. I buy natural unsweetened cocoa powder, put a teaspoon in a cup, stir in boiling water add some cream and artificial sweeteners and there you are. Count about 3 carbs.

Cocoa powder can be used to make all sorts of chocolate flavour goodies - but wait till you're out of induction.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 16:51

Stats: 252/230/165 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hmm, thanks for the tips on chocolate cravings.

Suga- I also have PCOS, and I have found that this WOE has helped the symptoms of that tremendously! Also, for the first 2 weeks of induction, I didn't eat any SF chocolates or anything else. I stayed exactly to the acceptable foods list. And these chocolates DO slow me down, which is why I keep them to the bare minimum. I am still on induction, but since it has been almost two months for me now, I do indulge in a few things I would not have touched during the first two weeks, or the first month and a half for that matter.

I think I will take the advice given and try steak and spinach and see if it cuts the need for chocolate.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 17:05

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi SugaNoMore:
I hear ya hon!!!
If you feel you cannot take it anymore and feel weak at the knees....
...march yourself right over to Wal-Mart (or your local foodstore) and purchase low carb chocolate bar or two Sure, this is not the greatest thing but I'll tell ya, it is MUCH better than regular sugar because after you have a bar or even a few bites, you may decide it *wasn't all that* and get right back on the wagon (I know I did).

Good luck to ya! You can do it!!