Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 11:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/255/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -88%
Default Da Vinci's vs. Torani syrup

Which do you folks like better, and why? I'm thinking of ordering some online, but I'd like to get a general opinion before I do so.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 11:58

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%

Davinci's hands down. I just received an order this morning of my favorites; pumpkin spice, french vanilla, maple syrup, butterscotch, and chocolate.

I couldn't wait to add some of the pumpkin spice to my blueberry cream ice coffee and some french vanilla and maple syrup to my almond flaxseed waffles. Totally delish.

To me Toranti's has a bad aftertaste, especially the caramel.

Just try buying a small bottle of Davinci Caramel and Toranti's Caramel and you will see the difference for yourself.

Dive deeply into who you really are, and have the courage to explore your most treasured dreams. Keep yourself connected to those dreams, and they will play out upon the stage of your life. ~Ralph Marston

Live life abundantly and enjoy yourself in your “Journey To Wellness” because it is by the grace of God that we are able to do so. ~Gail~

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of you heart ~Psalms 37:4
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 12:30

Plan: LC
Stats: 189/184/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I have never tried Toranis, but the Divincis Carmel is so nasty that I dumped it down the drain. Threw the bottle in the trash, but my kitchen still smelled like that nasty stuff - had to put bleach down the drain to get rid of it.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 12:37

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

I dont use either often, but I prefer torani.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 13:02
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

I prefer sf Monin to both of them.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 14:29
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I like DaVinci's and Torani's equally well.

The Monin syrups have good flavors and are thicker than the other 2 brands, but they often contain erythritol. I understand that erythritol is not digested like other sugar alcohols, but since I seem to be able to digest and assimilate all sugar alcohols, I don't quite trust that I'm not getting calories from it. I suppose that wouldn't matter if I didn't have to pay attention to my calories, as well as my carbs, but I do have to be careful of calories.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 15:42
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

I like the Davinchis, The torini had an aftertaste to me. I've never tried the SF Monin, but KevinPA usually has great taste!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 17:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal
I like DaVinci's and Torani's equally well.

The Monin syrups have good flavors and are thicker than the other 2 brands, but they often contain erythritol. I understand that erythritol is not digested like other sugar alcohols, but since I seem to be able to digest and assimilate all sugar alcohols, I don't quite trust that I'm not getting calories from it. I suppose that wouldn't matter if I didn't have to pay attention to my calories, as well as my carbs, but I do have to be careful of calories.

The erythritol has the absolute lowest calories of all the polyols. Documented. For sure. AND the greatest tolerance. Those two don't usually go together, believe me, I know
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 17:47
Registered Member

Generally, I prefer the DaVinci's over the Torani for flavour(s), but it varies. I don't much like the Caramel in either of them, to tell the truth, it just doesn't taste like Caramel to me. Torani has a couple of sugarfree flavours I just can't get in DaVinci, so that's where I often end up with the Torani; Almond Roca is one of them, Mango is another...and their Lemon is really nice and acid, like lemonade or lemon juice, though the downside is that it will curdle dairy. I can use that feature, but it catches some people by surprise.

I haven't had the opportunity to try the Monin O'Free yet, but I do know that I will have to refrigerate them (because of the extra ingredients) which is a problem for me (fridge space is at a definite premium!). I'd like to try some of their yummy flavours though -- mmmmmmmmmmmmm, Blackberry!

I have tried this imported from France 1880 brand, highly rated in the Vanilla, but it has a distinct bitter aftertaste that I can't ignore...don't know if I have a bad bottle or it's common to all that brand, but it's too expensive to buy more and find out. Yuck.

#10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-08, 09:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/255/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -88%

Hmm. It seems like there are more people in favor of the DaVinci's. I'm torn because I'm moving at the end of the month, and don't necessarily want to pack more items, but at the same time I've been making bad dessert choices, and if these could help me, well then there's something to be said for that.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-08, 11:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, the Monin rocks. I guess I like the flavors in the DaVinci's better, but the Toroni is the only sort I can find being sold in stores in my city.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-08, 17:50

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Torani has a couple of sugarfree flavours I just can't get in DaVinci, so that's where I often end up with the Torani; Almond Roca is one of them, Mango is another...and their Lemon

That's cool, but Davinci's does have over 45 flavors...that's plenty of freakin' flavors for your tastebuds.

Dive deeply into who you really are, and have the courage to explore your most treasured dreams. Keep yourself connected to those dreams, and they will play out upon the stage of your life. ~Ralph Marston

Live life abundantly and enjoy yourself in your “Journey To Wellness” because it is by the grace of God that we are able to do so. ~Gail~

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of you heart ~Psalms 37:4
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-08, 00:40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007
That's cool, but Davinci's does have over 45 flavors...that's plenty of freakin' flavors for your tastebuds.

Yes, and I already have them all. Really. I have the store. Doesn't mean I can't apply my constructively critical faculties and notice differences in flavour and how they operate...My Lemon Sorbet uses (and needs) both the DaVinci (not acidic) and Torani (acidic) Lemon, for instance, along with fresh lemon zest.

#14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-08, 07:28

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

I prefer Torani for fruit flavors, but probably buy more Davincis overall. However choosing between Torani Almond Roca and Davinci English Toffee would be like choosing my favorite child!