Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-16, 08:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Same with my "American Sweetheart" monax plates from the 30's, Jean.

I laugh when I scan what's available on eBay in my pattern, and some seller, who probably inherited the dishes from their mother, calls a platter a dinner plate. Even the platters were smaller, back then.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-16, 18:21

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

All this Big Plate talk got me curious. i have some lovely formal dinnerware i inherited from my mom, from the early 1950's. I got them out to compare sizes to my current dinner plates. exactly the same! well not "exactly". my current places are about 1/4-inch wider in diameter. not enough of a difference as far as food volume goes.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-16, 22:34

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

My 1970's-vintage Corelle dinner plates are 9", but the currently available ones are 10.25". I got a couple of the bigger ones to use as platters, but we still eat meals off the 9" ones. In the 1960s and 70s when I was growing up, one could have seconds that had been kept warm if we were still hungry (rare). Monster plates heaped high mean most of the food will be luke warm or cold by the time you eat it. No thanks.

Last edited by deirdra : Tue, Aug-23-16 at 22:39.
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-16, 23:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Don't even get me started on Big Dishwasher.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-16, 06:53

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Maybe there's another way to look at the Big Plate thing. We were encouraged to eat lower calorie density foods. So we went out and got bigger plates.

We only bought bigger plates, because plates got bigger, but that's probably why they became so much bigger - eating low fat, low calorie foods meant it took a lot more food to feel any fullness. We were advised to cut calories by avoiding eating a second helping, but with such low cal food, that just left you hungry. The solution is bigger plates, because you can have a larger first serving, and not need that second serving to feel satisfied. (at least you could hold out for a couple of hours, but thank goodness, by then it was snack time - time to eat some kind of fat free snack, which would leave you hungry again a couple of hours later, when it was time to eat another low fat meal)

At any rate, unless someone happened to inherit a set of older plates, or you happen to be older and still using your older set of plates, younger people setting up a home of their own only bought bigger plates because that's what was available. If someone decided to replace an older set of plates because they'd broken too many of the old set to have enough plates to go around, there was nothing readily available other than larger plates.

So we have larger plates, larger flatware... and have you noticed that drinking glasses are now larger too? I remember the juice glasses from when I was a kid in the 50's - they were no more than a little over 4 oz, made to accommodate 4 oz of juice, because that's about the most juice you could squeeze from one orange. Now, the juice glasses available are a minimum of 6 or 7 oz, usually upwards of 8 oz. With just a quick perusal of the selection of juice glasses available at BB&B, some sets which are considered to be juice glasses are 13+ oz, able to easily hold the juice from 3 oranges. Not that most people squeeze their own oranges these days - with gallon jugs of "fresh" juice available, why bother with squeezing your own? So even the perception that you're drinking an inordinate amount of juice is gone.

Other glasses are larger too. It used to be that a standard drinking glass (for water, milk, or soda) was 8 oz - now they're at least 13 oz (in order to accommodate the 12 oz can of soda), usually 16 oz, or larger. (I just checked some of the glasses in my cabinet - the one set which I've had for approximately 15 years holds 16 oz, but another somewhat newer set that I thought was the same size, actually holds 20 oz.)

I have some wine glasses from 20+ years ago, which hold approximately 8 oz - a standard 5 oz serving of wine fills almost 2/3 of the glass. It's rare to find wine glasses that small these days. I have a somewhat newer set which holds 10 oz, also quite rare to see these days. Mostly what is available now holds at least 13 oz but many hold 18 oz or more. I saw one set of wine glasses on BB&B that holds 24 oz, which is nearly a full bottle of wine.

If you're careful about the size of the drink you pour (whether wine, juice, or milk), and only pour the standard size serving, those huge glasses look ridiculous, as if you're skimping on how much you're serving, so naturally, as the size of the glasses have increased over the years, so has the amount served. It's not a big deal if you only drink water - but fill those huge glasses with wine, milk, or sugary soda, and someone eating a SAD diet will be drinking far more carbs than they might even begin to suspect.

Last edited by Calianna : Wed, Aug-24-16 at 06:59.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-16, 04:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

In a week without internet access, this thread has gone off the rails in a Big Plate way
I can't find a current update on Dr Fettke's situation...and now his FaceBook page is gone . (the one his wife changed linked in first post).
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-16, 06:55

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://www.nofructose.com/gary-fettke/

The facebook link from Belinda's rundown on the situation works (I tried the link on your original post, I got the same thing, page gone).

https://www.facebook.com/belindanofructose/

This one works.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-16, 09:12

Thank you teaser!!
That is a good post from August 15.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-16, 05:40

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Ditto, very powerful post by Belinda Fettke! Thanks for the link.
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-16, 14:37

Belinda's No Fructose FB summarized the results of the Saving Australia diet!

Quote:
Tony's results are in! 'A former Type 2 diabetic' is how he now describes himself :-)
Tony has dropped 22kgs in 10 weeks!
Tony's blood glucose levels are consistently in the 4's now!
Tony has come off 4 medications! (under GP supervision)
Tony has lost his knee arthritis pain!
Tony wakes up earlier every morning and bounces out of bed with more energy!
Tony is 'buzzing' with his new life!
Tony's HbA1c has come back to normal!
Tony's blood lipid profile has converted from a high cardiac risk to 'normal' despite healthy fats in his diet!
Tony Benneworth has reversed his Type 2 diabetes!
https://au.news.yahoo.com/…/the-sav...lia-diet-fin…/…
Thank you Tony for listening to Gary and working with the team at Nutrition for Life.
Thank you Dr Paul Hanson for 'volunteering' Tony when Gary was looking for a volunteer.
Thank you Pete Evans, PJ Madam and the Sunday Night crew for believing in this.
What this showed is that lifestyle change can make a difference..... and LCHF - Low Carb Healthy Fat, was easy to do. This way of eating is sustainable and Tony will keep at it.
You are a Tassie legend Tony Benneworth, former diabetic!!!!
www.nutritionforlife.healthcare
Co founded by Belinda and Gary Fettke to help empower people to take back control of their health.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-16, 14:04

Dr Fettke has written a summary of the latest twists and turns to his ban, with links to various statements, which was shared by Dr Kendrick:

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2016/...ound-the-world/

Just one of the unbelievable quotes from his letter:

Quote:
I had a recent notification, again from an anonymous dietitian, and have been investigated for ‘inappropriate’ reversal of someone’s Type 2 Diabetes and was also reported for what I was ‘about to say’ at a hospital food national conference. AHPRA actually asked me for a copy of my speech BEFORE I gave the talk. I refused as it was an infringement of the right of free speech.

AHPRA have just this week decided to close that investigation but have warned me that they will be observing me to see if a ‘pattern of behaviour’ continues, presumably in relation to reversing more patients’ diabetes.

Maybe it was "inappropriate" because he Reversed Tony's T2 Diabetes on TV, showing the country it can be done by not following the government recommendations.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Nov-13-16 at 14:10.
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-16, 06:05

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

There's "inappropriate" reversals? Now we are through the looking glass!
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-16, 06:51

Adding another through analysis of the current bizarre situation in Australia (seriously? doctors started a FB hate page called Block Pete Evans that has expanded to anything LCHF) written by Marika Sboros, Why AHPRA is so keen to silence Dr Gary Fettke

http://foodmed.net/2016/11/14/why-a...dr-gary-fettke/

Quote:
Fettke described how doctors and dietitians have taken to social media to attack him. He referred to a Facebook “hate page” called Blocked by Pete Evans (BBPE). It started off attacking celebrity Paleo chef Evans but soon broadened into anything connected to LCHF. DAA dietitians, a DAA spokesperson, nutrition academics, nurses, doctors and doctors’ wives comment regularly on it. As well, some BBPE admin fall under the AHPRA.

Some comments by Professor Richard Feinman:

Quote:
Feinman calls AHPRA “medical gangsters”. They “don’t know science”, he says, and are “more concerned with saving face than saving lives”. The medical establishment globally has “a long-standing hatred of low carb”, Feinman says. AHPRA is most likely afraid that people with diabetes will sue them and doctors for recommending the wrong diets. “They are wrong and they know they are wrong,” Feinman says. To suggest that nutrition is so well-defined that AHPRA can say which doctors can and cannot advise on nutrition, is “absurd”. So are its “facts” against Fettke. “This is not a medical problem,” says Feinman, “it’s a political problem “It’s about whether the medical profession can accept failure and go beyond the low-fat idea that is now in dispute, or whether they will just keep doing the same thing,” he says. By that “same thing”, Feinman means “repressing any alternative point of view”.

You will be in disbelief reading this entire article.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Nov-14-16 at 07:04.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-16, 05:08

AHPRA issued a statement yesterday. Contact emails for anyone to comment on their action.
It claims they can't discuss it because Dr Fettke hasn't given them right to release his information...yet he has not seen the charges. Getting crazier by the day.
https://www.facebook.com/TheFatEmpe...761259047471288
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-16, 06:01

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I certainly hope this all backfires. I remember learning somewhere long ago how professional organizations were established to protect the power of their members by restricting access for others to perform equivalent activities. As Feinman says this is political not scientific and is being used to preserve the status quo. What's in operation is power and control and what's at stake are the truth and therefore people's health. Horrible. Let's hope for lots of backlash.

Jean