Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 12:55

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Some good quotes here, and I'm pleased that Fettke and colleagues are not taking this quietly:

Quote:
“To be questioned and challenged on whether or not I can provide nutritional advice is abhorrent because if I can’t give advice with MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) before my name then no doctor in Australia can do it either.”

He described the nutrition industry as an “intricate web” of vested interests, arguing the Dietitians Association of Australia was tied up with the food industry, diabetes educators linked with pharmaceutical companies and supplements providers often without experience.

“I don’t think there’s anyone fully qualified to give nutrition education,” he said.

“This is potentially a landmark situation and that’s why we’re challenging it.”
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 16:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Go, Dr. Fettke.

On the heels of the nutritionist who lost her license because of giving good, data backed advice to T2 diabetics, this issue needs to be shouted out, not only to all of Australia, but to the world.

The entire world of diabetes "education" and support is led by people who know better, but are too dependent on the high sugar food industry sponsors that support them.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 17:36

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

From the Examiner link:
Quote:
Dietitians Association of Australia spokeswoman Claire Collins said: “Accredited practicing dietitians are nutrition scientists with a minimum of four years of university study behind them.

“They provide evidence-based nutrition advice and support, or Medical Nutrition Therapy, which is tailored to an individual - and often needs to take into account complex health conditions. APDs undertake ongoing training and development, in line with DAA professional standards, to ensure they are up-to-date. These professional standards match the requirements of AHPRA.”

No, they are not scientists. Ask any nutritionist anything about science, they have no clue whatsoever. The are not taught the scientific method. They are not taught the phase system of experimental research. They are not even taught Occam's razor. They are not taught to think critically and skeptically. They are not taught to read published scientific literature. They are not taught nutrition history, how their curriculum was developed or by whom. They are not taught the difference between association and causation, nor the difference between observational research and experimental research. Turn these into questions next time a nutritionist claims to be a scientist, i.e. please recite the four basic steps of the scientific method. They are not taught any of this because that is not what they are paid to do. If they were taught all of it, we'd have a bunch of nutritionists questioning everything they do all the time, just like genuine scientists, and their field would progress at a fantastic pace, for the better. This idea of nutritionists being nutrition scientists, it doesn't come from Claire Collins or indeed from any trained nutritionist (it can't, they are not taught anything about science, how could they possibly imagine that argument?), it's just the latest script from her financiers, and she probably believes it because she is not trained to criticize it, nor would she want to since it also gives her the appearance of expertise. Indeed, those who do get a clue, they begin to question everything they do and often reject some, if not all they've been taught, and instead start to do the complete opposite.

As for the AHPRA's requirements, is it one of their requirements that one be trained as a scientist? I'm going to bet it's not. Indeed are medical practitioners required to be trained as scientists? So what's all the hype about nutritionists being nutrition scientists? Smoke and mirrors, diversion, red herring, strawman, whatever. It gives the appearance of competence and expertise, yet has absolutely no bearing on the actual performance of their profession.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 11:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Prof. Grant Schofield response: https://profgrant.com/2016/08/16/au...-the-messenger/

And minutes ago, DietDoctor added commentary by Dr Jason Fung.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/dr-fettke...ending-low-carb

Quote:

“You Can’t Handle the Truth” – Dr. Gary Fettke Censored for Recommending Low Carb

Sometimes the truth is hard to take.
In the movie, A Few Good Men, Tom Cruise plays a military lawyer trying to find out the truth about a murder. He continues to press Jack Nicholson for the ‘truth’ until, exasperated Nicholson shouts one of his most enduring quotes ‘You want the truth? You can’t handle the truth!’.

What Nicholson means is that there are many times in life where the truth is hard. We try to spare people’s feelings by covering up the truth. For example, families often ask that patients are not told of their diagnosis of cancer. We tell children that Grandpa has ‘gone away for a long time’ instead of the the truth that their beloved one has passed on. We do this all the time because ‘we can’t handle the truth’. There were many people willing to turn a blind eye to the Holocaust because they couldn’t handle the truth.

However, just as in the movie, only the truth will set us free. Only by understanding and accepting the truth can we hope to move past it. Too often, hiding the truth only hurts those who we hope to protect. Believing the lies, we cannot make rational decisions. In essence, we make the same argument that Jack Nicholson makes in the movie. Because you can’t handle the truth, Big Brother will forcibly hide it from you.

In science, the need for openness is well understood. Galileo, for example, was persecuted because of his beliefs. Using observations from his new telescope, he supported Copernicus’ idea that the earth revolved around the sun, rather than the universe revolving around the earth. In 1632, Galileo published his scientific observations, which unfortunately clashed with the beliefs of the Roman Catholic Church. He was tried in 1633 for heresy by the Roman Inquisition and found guilty. He would spend the remaining years of his life under house arrest instead of furthering mankind’s knowledge.

For this reason, science abhors censorship above all else. We may not always agree. We may not always be civil. However, each side certainly recognizes the right of the other to his/ her point of view. For example, I might not agree with Gwenyth Paltrow that vagina steaming is useful, but I don’t deny her the right to freedom of speech. Many times in health care, we hope that the medical authorities also recognize the need for discussion and dialogue. Unfortunately, too frequently, those in authority resort to bullying and silencing of critics by brute force rather than reason and intellect.

When Nina Teicholz published her controversial article in the BMJ, arguing that the US Dietary Guidelines were not scientific, her critics (Dr. Frank Hu from Harvard) responded, not by reasonable argument, but for a call for retraction. He was trying to stifle the conversation rather than face insubordination. In a bullying tone, Dr. Hu is, in essence, saying to the rest of the scientific community ‘You can’t handle the truth’. Dangerous. Very dangerous. We’re lucky he didn’t try to pull a Galileo and put Nina under house arrest. Rather than bravely try to face off in scientific discourse, the cowardly Dr. Hu called for censorship instead.

But unfortunately, the examples continue. The latest victim is my friend, Dr. Gary Fettke, an orthopaedic surgeon from Tasmania. A brain cancer survivor, he has lectured around the world about the importance of nutrition in chronic diseases such as cancer. I met him in Cape Town, South Africa where he impressed me, not so much with his boyish good looks (alright, not very much at all for this) but his deep understanding and passion for nutrition. As fellow doctors, I fully understand the critical importance of nutrition in metabolic disease.

Gary started the Nutrition for Life clinics to help guide patients along the path of proper nutrition. He was sick and tired of amputating diabetics limbs when the disease is so easily managed with proper nutrition. I had the exact same epiphany a few years ago. I was sick and tired of putting diabetics on dialysis when the entire debacle is preventable with a proper understanding of nutrition. Just this past week, the Australian Health Practitioner Registration Agency delivered a gag order in a 14 page email. He has been ordered silenced. “In particular that he does not provide specific advice or recommendations on the subject of nutrition and how it relates to the management of diabetes or the treatment and/or prevention of cancer.”

NoFructose: Who is qualified to give nutritional advice? So, Gary, a physician is not felt to be qualified to give health advice. So your hairdresser can give you diet advice, but a highly qualified physician cannot. Unfortunately, this is not a joke. What was this dastardly advice, so dangerous that the AHPRA felt compelled to issue the gag order? Well, Dr. Fettke feels that you should reduce intake of dietary carbohydrates, and eat plenty of healthy fats, but mainly to avoid processed and artificial foods to eat whole, unprocessed seasonal, local foods. OMG! What??? That’s totally ….. reasonable.

His notification was anonymous. It is unknown whether anybody was actually harmed by this, uh, pretty well accepted dietary advice. He also does not know which peers are judging him. He is not to communicate via social media. He is not to talk or lecture or speak to his patients about nutrition. His accusers cower behind the AHPRA, unwilling to make themselves known. All while trying to stifle conversation and yelling at the Australian public ‘You can’t handle the truth’!

This is even more bizarre because many guidelines have enshrined recommendations exactly as Gary espouses. For example, in the United Kingdom, the Dec 2015 NICE guidelines state: ‘Treatment and care should take into account individual needs and preferences. Patients should have the opportunity to make informed decisions about their care and treatment, in partnership with their healthcare professionals’ 1.3.3 Encourage high‑fibre, low‑glycaemic‑index sources of carbohydrate in the diet 1.3.6 Individualise recommendations for carbohydrate and alcohol intake Ahhh. Doctors should individualize recommendations and low-carbohydrate diets are reasonable. Patients should also make INFORMED decisions. Weird that NICE doesn’t say “Health authorities should censor doctors and dictate diets to patients and even prohibit diets used all over the world by institutions like Harvard University. Patients should not hear dissenting opinions because YOU CAN”T HANDLE THE TRUTH!” Weird, huh?

The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics in the United States recently submitted its 2015 guidelines to the US Department of Agriculture. The AND, representing the dieticians of the United States, supported the decision to remove cholesterol from the nutrient of concern list and further advised to remove saturated fat as well. Monounsaturated fats, found in olive oil and avocados and nuts, are almost universally acknowledged to be healthy. So, they don’t feel that the ‘Eat more Fat’ message is really all that controversial.

Dr. Osama Hamdy, the medical director of Harvard’s world famous Joslin Center for Diabetes obesity program, has called for a nutrition revolution using lower carbohydrate diets. He has been using them for over a decade. In the end, what is sad is that the AHPRA opted for censorship rather than transparency. Playing the part of the Roman Inquisition,they have told the Australian people “We are Big Brother, and we will tell you what you will or will not eat. What’s more – you will like it and then thank us for it!”

We hope that Australia continues to be a part of the Free World, instead of a champion of censorship. Stop patronizing your people. Give them the freedom to listen to whomever they like. This is not Stalinist Russia. This is not Nazi Germany. We should listen to all the doctors, the ones who agree and the ones who don’t. Then give people the freedom to choose who they follow. — Jason Fung

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Aug-16-16 at 11:25.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-16, 07:30
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 206.5/161/155 Male 69.5"
BF:20%
Progress: 88%

This reminds me of the anthropogenic global warming debate. Running afoul of the AGW narrative will cost you tenure, research dollars, and personal reputation. There's a lot of money and power in the status quo and they don't tolerate dissent very well.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-16, 08:16

The difference, of course, is that the members of the scientific community who deny climate change always seem to have close connections to the petrochemical industry.

But I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

As is the coincidence that those who deny that LCHF can help with so many lifestyle diseases have connections to Big Food and Big Pharma.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-16, 09:41

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

To be fair--Jeff Volek has had some sponsorship from the Egg board, the famous Steffanson study looking at an all-meat diet received some funding from the meat industry, etc. I don't think this always taints the individual scientist--but there is a potential distortion to just what kind of studies get done, even if they are done honestly.

In Australia's case-I do wonder whether Kellogg's funding of nutritional studies, like Jenny Brand-Miller's glycemic index stuff etc. has had a distorting effect on the general environment.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-16, 10:11

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudgie
This reminds me of the anthropogenic global warming debate. Running afoul of the AGW narrative will cost you tenure, research dollars, and personal reputation. There's a lot of money and power in the status quo and they don't tolerate dissent very well.

A very good analogy, and when they realized that the globe wasn't always warming, recently, they changed it to "climate change." Who can argue??? The anthropogenic bit is the sticky one that still attracts much speculation.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-16, 12:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

How dare he? It's like he thinks he is a nutritionist, or something!

People have to go to school for that, you know.

/s
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-16, 15:27

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Interesting, and appalling. Isn't the normal advice always "Make sure to consult with your doctor when undertaking any weightless diet"?
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-16, 17:46

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Interesting, and appalling. Isn't the normal advice always "Make sure to consult with your doctor when undertaking any weightless diet"?
Sure, but apparently your doctor is not allowed to tell you anything other than "eat less, move more" if you ask - or possibly hand out a 1200-calorie low fat weekly eating plan.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-16, 03:20
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Dietitians Association of Australia spokeswoman Claire Collins said: “Accredited practicing dietitians are nutrition scientists with a minimum of four years of university study behind them.

Yeah? I work for a corporation that internationally provides university-level textbooks and online materials. That university study? Based on these print and digital textbooks and correlated pedagogy. Ours read just like the other primary competitors:

* Energy drinks like Red Bull are recommended
* Vitamins and supplements are just expensive urine
* Carbohydrates in the diet are a requirement for human survival
* Grains especially whole-grains are mandatory for human health
* "Low-carb" eating plans are a dangerous fad
* Cholesterol is dangerous and to be avoided along with saturated fats

This is the university study that is generating "scientist" experts? I see.

Lovely.

PJ

PS: I literally avoid working on nutrition pedagogy materials if I can because I swear my blood pressure rises dangerously just seeing it. I mean in this case it's not only a matter of "give bad advice that helps kill people slowly, horrifically, but lucratively," it's a matter of "give bad advice that helps TRAIN whole armies of people to go out and each evangelize that bad advice into lots of people killed slowly, horrifically, but lucratively."

Is mass murder ok if it's done fairly slowly over years instead of suddenly? Is it ok if the action is only 80% of the cause of the death not 100%? Is helping someone suffer losing one limb and eye at a time ok as long as they're not dead... yet?

I see rendering the same nutritional advice that in a matter of decades has utterly wrecked our culture -- and I attribute this to far more than health because I believe health affects everything from social behavior to politics -- to be some kind of ethical crime at this point.

"Educating" people into the same BS that was wrong 40 years ago and is still wrong -- so they can then feel they are actually saving people with it (OMFG) is just facepalm wake-me-when-it's over kind of stuff.

Last edited by rightnow : Sat, Aug-20-16 at 03:41.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-16, 16:57

The sad thing, PJ, is that 40 years ago, it wasn't the same advice. The move toward more and more grains and less healthy fat had just begun. Diabetics were taught to limit their carbs, both per meal and per day, and to use their insulin to help regulate, not to top off when a high carb treat was consumed.

T2D was rare, and when DXed, the advice was the same.

I agree about the utter criminality of the advice that people are given. Husband, not a healthcare type person, just gives me the "You are getting a little over the top" look, when I talk about jailing the board of the ADA.

But dang it, I'm serious.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-16, 08:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Husband, not a healthcare type person, just gives me the "You are getting a little over the top" look, when I talk about jailing the board of the ADA.

I get that look all the time:

When I gently mention that diabetics should aim for less than 140 or 120 or whatever their doctor says. But doctors can be sued if their patient becomes hypoglycemic, and absolutely no penalties are attached as their patients slowly deteriorate with "inevitable" chronic problems. So they are professionally guided to not take care of diabetics.

When I mention that processed foods are designed to make us hungry. Because I so often get the startled look that means they have noticed that, too.

I bring up statins, and then I really sound like a lunatic, but I do it anyway because I don't want their agonizing death on my conscience.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-16, 19:10

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
To be fair--Jeff Volek has had some sponsorship from the Egg board, the famous Steffanson study looking at an all-meat diet received some funding from the meat industry, etc. I don't think this always taints the individual scientist--but there is a potential distortion to just what kind of studies get done, even if they are done honestly.

It's now obvious that Jeff Volek has succumbed to Big Egg and promotes eggs just for the profit.