Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-13, 09:06
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Chia Microwave Biscuit

Since I’ve cut out wheat in my diet, I can no longer eat some of my older biscuit recipes that used Carbalose flour or Carbquick. So I’ve been tinkering around lately with a low-carb flour mix Ouizoid on Low Carb Friends forums has developed. By deleting the coconut flour in her mix and adding a couple of ingredients, I’ve made a delicious 2-serving biscuit that is moist and light. It’s falls somewhere between the texture of cake and your Granny’s biscuits. The surface is crusty if you brown it in the broiler a bit. I love the built-in portion control of individual or 2-serving recipes because then we don’t have any leftovers to be tempted to go back and eat later. This is quick, easy, tasty! It is not suitable until the highest (grains) rung of the OWL ladder (or Maintenance) of Atkins. With the oat fiber and whey protein, this would NOT be a suitable food for Paleo followers; Primal might enjoy if they do eat whey protein occasionally.

INGREDIENTS:

2 T. oat fiber
2 T. almond flour
1 T. egg white protein powder (I use NOW brand)
1 T. unflavored, unsweetened whey protein powder (I use NOW brand)
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. glucomannan powder (Konjac powder)
2 T. grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 T. chia gel (Mix 1T. ground chia in 9T. water in jar 10 minutes. Shake it up. Refrigerate leftover gel)
1 tsp. melted unsalted butter
1 T. heavy cream mixed with 3T. water (or all water or all low-carb milk)

DIRECTIONS: Measure the dry ingredients into a small mixing bowl. Stir well. Add in the melted butter, chia gel and cream/water mixture. Stir well to blend ingredients. Allow batter to sit for a few minutes to slightly thicken. The batter will NOT be as thick and stiff as traditional drop biscuit dough. You can either make 2 single biscuits by dividing the batter between two small ramekins or make a mega biscuit (shown in the pic above) in a small oval mini casserole dish and cut it into two smaller biscuits after it is cooked. The smaller ramekin-shaped biscuits should cook in 1 minute on HI in your microwave; the oval mega biscuit will take about 1 minute 30 seconds on HI. My microwave is 1150 watts, but they do vary in wattage. Yours may take a few seconds longer. Remove them from the microwave and gently tip out of their dish with a knife tip onto a small baking pan. Pop into the broiler and brown the top; then flip and brown the bottom as well. Serve at once and ENJOY!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Entire recipe contains:

287 calories
22.3 g fat
16.3 g carbs, 12.9 g fiber, 3.3 g NET CARBS
15.8 g protein
426 mg sodium
137 mg potassium
15% RDA Vitamin A, 12% B12, 40% calcium, 14% iron, 5% magnesium, 54% phosphorous, 23% riboflavin, 8% selenium, 12% zinc
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-15, 16:19

Plan: Atkins/combo=My Own WOE
Stats: 405/327/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 31%

That looks great. Thank you for the recipe and the pictures.