Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 15:25
WhatCanIDoThisTime?!

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 240/230/135 Female 5'3"
BF:too dang much!!!!
Progress: 10%
Default Sugar Alcohols

Auto generated link to page (Please do not remove): http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips010.html

I found this to be very interesting......any feedback from anyone?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 15:31
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

They stall me.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 18:21

Stats: 280/230/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

I had my first experience with a sugar alcohol today, sorbitol. I thought I got away with something, but indeed, I felt after effects from it. I felt sluggish all day, hungry constantly, and had a headache and generally felt icky. I also found myself battling the urge to sleep, which happens to me as a side effect of carbs, usually.

I stayed in ketosis, (for now) though, but the physical effects were either from the sorbitol or from going over 20 carbs. I am voting it was the sorbitol based on the incredible cravings I had. All I thought about was sweet treats I could eat all day, and this usually isn't my thing.

Maybe an effect, maybe a trigger, maybe a combination of all, but I do know I added it to my list of "poisons".
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 11:24
WhatCanIDoThisTime?!

Stats: 240/230/135 Female 5'3"
BF:too dang much!!!!
Progress: 10%

If and when I do have something with a sugar alcohol, I find the most common marketed in Montana is the Maltitol.....

I am not a chocolate freak, but occasionally I crave some, and when I do get the carb solution chocolate bar with almonds, I find it very hard to eat more than half.....

I just found the article to be interesting. There are sugar alcohols in so many foods!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 11:56

Stats: 220/216/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I don't know if it stalls me, but has horrible effects! I ate 1 chocolate bar and had (sorry for the subject) the worst gas and gas pains. I will definetly not make it a habit eating those.

I don't have to worry about them stalling me because this experience was so horrible I am not going to touch the things for quite a while.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 20:49

Stats: 116/110/58
BF:
Progress:
Default unwanted side effects of sugar alcohols

I too have trouble with anything over one small piece of any sugar alcohol-containing product. I can eat one square of the Darrell Lea Zero Carb choco bar witout consequences but, after, that I am in agony for hours. It has lactitol in it. It also stalled me and I am just getting over that problem. I am going to reserve one square for the very odd occasion so I don't feel totally deprived but I was having my one square twice a day and it definitely caused me a 2 week stall.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 08:22

Plan: lap band...low carb
Stats: 225/181/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 55%
Talking possible stall

I'm in my 7th week and think I'm in a stall...but it's almost a trade off for me...I had only two natural bm's in my first 5 weeks..I tried everything....When I first tried the carbolite candy bars, , of course I binged on 4 and got very very sick with blot, cramps.....However, it did get me to go to the bathroom...so I decided that if I eat one a day it might help with my sever constipation. I am now having 2-3 bowel movements a day...which is very important to me...I'm hoping the sixth weeon on the diet was just a normal stall week...I and am going to give it till next friday to judge what the carbolite bars are doing...Otherwise, I am completely on atkins..
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 05:40

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've discovered that the sf chocolates are evil for me! I went into a (so far) 16 day stall, started eating the sf choc. like I used to eat the full-sugar choc (back to old habits) and terrible cravings for my next 'fix'. I am just coming off a 7 day carb fest, that I feel was partially triggered by the art. sweeteners and partially by depression over no weight loss. I have given all my sf treats away and will never touch them again!!

Nicole
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 06:54

Stats: 276/269/125 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

They make me feel like I've been stabbed in the stomach with a sharp knife and then it has been twisted.

Nevermind the horrid laxative. I'm in the bathroom all night.

And my husband even warns me "You don't want to do that."

and then... "M'isa, really, you shouldn't be eating those."

and then... "M'isa, your tummy hurts because you ate those candies."

And I remind him they taste good. He asks if the taste is worth it. I always say no, swear off sugar alcohols, and then, less than a week later.... later, rinse, repeat.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 09:30

Stats: 243/215/154 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I kept a a few diabetic chocolates for the odd occasions to remind myself what chocolate used to taste like. Now that was fine when I had the very occasional piece after dinner. Then one evening I ate a whole bar. Within minutes I had a strange rush to my head. I felt faint for over half an hour and felt like I was on the verge of passing out but didnt !!
Despite the chocolate containing only alcohol sugars it felt like opening the sugar floodgates to my brain. Im sure it sent my blood sugar level thro the roof. I guess I had an insulin reaction and have to treat sugar alcohols like normal carbs.
I didnt have any of the stomach problems as described but I wont be visiting that situation again.

Last edited by clanger : Sat, Mar-29-03 at 09:43.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 17:04
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 237/173.5/135
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default nummy good on my (sensitive) tummy

Blah the cramps and pain I got a TINY piece of SF Chocolate bar - Sorbee Milk Chocolate with peanuts.

Yucky malitol is not my intestinal friend!

But... I ahve found one "treat" that actually tasts good, no stomach problems and I don't binge on:

Golden farm Candies
No Sugar Added choc & Vanilla Nougat Swirls

I got them at Walmart

they have 3.6 carb per piece of which 3.5 is HSH (Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysis) ., 18 cal but strangeley enough 0 fat & protein even though it lists soy protein & egg albumin!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 13:58

Stats: 223.5/192.5/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Yeah those "sugar free" chocolate bars are actually the devil I believe. I thought to myself when I discovered them "YES I CAN ACTUALLY HAVE EVERYTHING I USED TO HAVE ONLY LOSE WEIGHT!" So.... obviously you know what happend. I ate like 3 of them in one sitting. That day was full of gas and bloating and I was constantly in the bathroom. On top of that, I was already in a stall, and now I have gained 1 lb. I think I am going to try the "egg fast" that is posted in this forum. It talks about getting your body into ketosis really quickly by eating nothing but eggs for a few days.

Hahaha I wanted to find a character that was just looking disgusted by the thought of eggs for every meal, and I found this guy puking! Doesn't that make you want to try this??

Anyways, the choc. bars also gave me cravings big time for more of them. I am trying to resist giving in to them because I know if I do, they will cause even more and it will be an unending vicious cycle!

I will let you all know how this egg fast thing goes for me. Today is day 1. Anyone know of any creative just-egg recipies? Hehe me neither.

Katie Johnson
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 20:45

Stats: 180/163/125 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default hidden carbs

I found this article really helpful. I immediately grabbed the box of Odyssey Bars that I have been munching on and checked them out. While the label puts "net carbs" per bar at only 4, (the calculator gave me a much higher number. I can't believe it! Maybe this is part of why I hit a platea because I have been eating one a day as a snack. They're so good - tastes just like a candy bar to me, but NO MORE!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 21:02

Stats: 140/129/120 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Default evil sugar alcohol

Info about sugar alcohol stuff should be highlighted to newbie low-carbers. I too thought I found my sweet fix but suffered for it. Last week I had 1/3 of a low-carb candy sweetened with SA and had no problem. Today I had another 1/3 of the same bar and a number of hours later, was very "uncomfortable," as it were. "Laxative effect" indeed! Plus I feel so bloated that the 12 pounds I lost so far don't feel like they're gone. Worth it? No. Warn your friends.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 17:21

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I never had any intestinal problem with sugar alcohol in candies and protein bars unless I ate an entire bagful...or more than two bars. BUT...I do think it might have been responsible for my inability to lose weight for the first two months of my Induction!! It wasn't until AFTER I began an anti-candida regimen (eliminating all sweeteners among other things..) I started losing weight. Now that the "yeasty" critters are under control...I've re-introduced most of what I eliminated...and I'm still losing weight...and on OWL. But...I'm afraid to add the bars and so-called sugarfree chocolates or anything with sugar alcohols, because I'm nearly certain they will cause me to stall.

Oh well...I guess that's life.....