Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 18:46

Plan: CAD
Stats: 242/189.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I've been reading y'alls posts about using IF with CAD/CALP. I used to love doing the IF with the 5 hr window of eating. I've shared on the regular CAD/CALP thread that I lost weight about 10 yrs ago eating only the RM each day, but have never been able to get back to that. However, I have done IF in the last year and liked doing it with the 19 hr fast and 5 hr eating window. My doc didn't particularly like the idea, but I was able to do it. So I'm thinking that I could do that again using the CAD principles of eating a RM around 2 or 3 o'clock and a CS or SM 5 hrs later.

Thanks MIW for the article you wrote on here reviewing the Heller's story. I'm also reading the SEC book again and the insulin information helps me to see that this will woe with the IF/CAD/CALP combo is the best way to control the blood sugar. I'm with y'all on this all the way. I'm jumping on the wagon with y'all starting my 19 hr fast right now.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-13, 06:42

Plan: VLC/High Fat
Stats: 253/249/200 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I've started a system of eating one very large meal a day (usually around 1pm) and only eating little amounts of other things in the morning and evening (i.e., five almonds or five macadamia nuts, or a handful of pumpkin seeds with the shell). I also have cut out most of the cheese I was eating. Both of these systems in conjunction have broken me out of a stall I was in for about a week and I recorded a new low weight the past two mornings.

A good typical day would be:

morning - bunch of pumpkin seeds, shell on (salted!)
around 1pm - 1/4 or 1/2 lb bacon cheeseburger (only a small amount of cheese), no bun, with spicy mustard & mayo mixed together on top. Burger fried in butter with pan drippings poured over when plated. Might also eat something else at the same time such as extra salami or maybe even a few nuts again.
evening - almonds or macadamias again
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-13, 09:17

Plan: One meal a day CAD style!
Stats: 235/212/140 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyann68
I've been reading y'alls posts about using IF with CAD/CALP. I used to love doing the IF with the 5 hr window of eating. I've shared on the regular CAD/CALP thread that I lost weight about 10 yrs ago eating only the RM each day, but have never been able to get back to that. However, I have done IF in the last year and liked doing it with the 19 hr fast and 5 hr eating window. My doc didn't particularly like the idea, but I was able to do it. So I'm thinking that I could do that again using the CAD principles of eating a RM around 2 or 3 o'clock and a CS or SM 5 hrs later.

Thanks MIW for the article you wrote on here reviewing the Heller's story. I'm also reading the SEC book again and the insulin information helps me to see that this will woe with the IF/CAD/CALP combo is the best way to control the blood sugar. I'm with y'all on this all the way. I'm jumping on the wagon with y'all starting my 19 hr fast right now.

Well I just hope you find what works for you, and something that is doeable and satisfying that you can do forever! Do not sweat your doctor. The sad fact is MOST doctors do not no one thing about nutrition, nor hyperinsulinemia. The other sad fact is that the vast majority of health issues are all diet related! You should see the atrocious nutritional information I hand out to diabetics and cardiac patients at the hospital where I work as an RN. Trust me, as an avid dieter you know more than the average doctor. Then next group of doctors, the ones who actually do study nutrition are all on the vegan and macro-nutrient kick that is still low fat, high carb, and into eating as often and frequently as one chooses. Even most natropaths falls into that category. The best thing I ever got, and I use the term "best" lightly is one that handed me a coupon for a free week as Weight Watchers. Little did he know at the time that I had already been to WW 4 other times in my life PRIOR to that!

MIW
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-13, 09:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosingMe16
I've started a system of eating one very large meal a day (usually around 1pm) and only eating little amounts of other things in the morning and evening (i.e., five almonds or five macadamia nuts, or a handful of pumpkin seeds with the shell). I also have cut out most of the cheese I was eating. Both of these systems in conjunction have broken me out of a stall I was in for about a week and I recorded a new low weight the past two mornings.

A good typical day would be:

morning - bunch of pumpkin seeds, shell on (salted!)
around 1pm - 1/4 or 1/2 lb bacon cheeseburger (only a small amount of cheese), no bun, with spicy mustard & mayo mixed together on top. Burger fried in butter with pan drippings poured over when plated. Might also eat something else at the same time such as extra salami or maybe even a few nuts again.
evening - almonds or macadamias again

That is a little high fat for me but if your metabolism is thriving on it then go for it! Maybe you have the caveman metabolism! LOL

MIW
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-13, 10:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitwork
Well I just hope you find what works for you, and something that is doeable and satisfying that you can do forever! Do not sweat your doctor. The sad fact is MOST doctors do not no one thing about nutrition, nor hyperinsulinemia. The other sad fact is that the vast majority of health issues are all diet related! You should see the atrocious nutritional information I hand out to diabetics and cardiac patients at the hospital where I work as an RN. Trust me, as an avid dieter you know more than the average doctor. Then next group of doctors, the ones who actually do study nutrition are all on the vegan and macro-nutrient kick that is still low fat, high carb, and into eating as often and frequently as one chooses. Even most natropaths falls into that category. The best thing I ever got, and I use the term "best" lightly is one that handed me a coupon for a free week as Weight Watchers. Little did he know at the time that I had already been to WW 4 other times in my life PRIOR to that!

MIW

So true and so sad. I have a nephew and his sister do the Vegan woe. I guess it works for them. It just doesn't fit me.

I read how the Stress Eating Cure works which seems to be a little confusing to me at this point, but then I need to read a few things a little slower. Kind of skimmed through it to see the changes. I'm not sure I really understand some of the Comfort foods. I choose to eat the RM around 2 or 3 everyday because it is convenient for eating with DH. I am glad to see them say that it can be changed some days to fit what is going on because 1 Saturday a month we have brunch at ladies meeting at church and DH, DGS and I go out for breakfast after church and eat between 11:30 and noon. Eating that early kind of makes it difficult to go until 2 the next day, but I've been able to make it so far if I make my eating window a little longer than 5 hrs. I was just surprised with SEC some of the non-starchy veggies that they moved to Comfort foods. I do believe I will continue with the CALP woe as I'm slowly changing some of the things CALP recommends but not all. I do use Stevia only because when testing blood sugar readings, I found that it does not raise my blood sugar at all. So it is a safe thing for me and I don't over do it. I don't use MSG as far as I know and I just ordered GTF chromium only because I remember they talked about how Chromium Picolinate effects the kidneys and I do take Metformin which I've heard can cause problems for kidneys. My back hurts a lot which could be just because of fat around the middle but I don't want to take any chances. Of course, doc watches that pretty closely and since I've learned how to read the blood work, I also watch the numbers that are associated with the kidneys too. Not trusting everything to the doc. My doctor is extremely good and caring, and he gives me a lot of good advice however he always leaves the final decisions on most things to me. Like he told me they aren't sure people should take Vitamin E so I stopped taking it. Then I read that Vitamin E protects the vessels in my eyes and I know diabetics often time go blind. I decided that as a diabetic, I need to take Vitamin E so have started it again. I've seen the results of patients following doctor's ideas. My SIL is on dialysis, DH 1st wife lost toes, and if she had survived heart surgery, she would have lost both her legs. I don't want to go down that road.

I so appreciate all the Heller's have learned and will implement what fits me as I work toward a healthier lifestyle.

And thanks again dear friend for your sharing and your help. I do so appreciate your help.

Have a great day.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-13, 20:56

BF:

I've had a great day today. We went out to eat for RM at the Waffle House. Ordered the breakfast that I wanted and ate about half of the carby foods, but all the protein and no guilt. That was around 2pm. I was going to eat my CM 5 hrs later but I wasn't hungry then so decided to wait till I was hungry and ended up eating it 6 1/2 hrs later. I love salads, so I decide to have a big salad with a little bit of breakfast steak and a boiled egg making it into a kind of chef salad. Using the meat and egg that I cooked instead of sandwich meat that I used to would have eaten, I was able to avoid the salt that would have been in the processed meat. It has been an excellent day and I am so very thankful and happy with the results today. I loved the freedom that I felt to eat what I wanted according to RM & CM foods and enjoyed not eating by a clock but eating ONLY when and because I was hungry. It was also great not to have any cravings. Very satisfying.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-13, 05:57

BF:

Last 2 days were one meal only days (consumed in an hour). Here I am with a new weekly low avg!

New weekly low weight! Here are the last few weeks:

Week 40- 216.6 216.4 216.2 217 217 216.4 215.4 (216.43) +0.83

Week 41- 215.4 216.4 216.2 X 216.6 X 216.6 (216.24) -0.19

Week 42- 215.4 215.6 215.4 215.4 214.8 216 216 (215.51) -0.73.........(215.94) +0.35

(Wk 42 on Thurs Aug 15th started exercising)

Week 43- 215.4 215 215.8 X X 214.2 214.2 (214.92) -0.59

Week 44- 212.6 213.4 213.2 214 215 X 215.8 (214) -0.92

MIW
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-13, 02:30

Stats: 148/144/120 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 14%

I've found for me, one meal is plenty. Settled into this woe now and enjoying it. Weight is coming off slowly but very steadily. My main probs were finding what else to eat, as I don't like salad, don't like hard cheese and don't eat many eggs as they make me feel queasy.
So in the end I settled for oatcakes- which yes are carbs, but only 6 carbs in one. So I have an oatcake on soft cheese or Brie or peanut butter for breakfast and supper, and one meal at 3pm.
I'm now at 10st 3, which is the lowest I've been in 13 years
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-13, 11:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardatha
I've found for me, one meal is plenty. Settled into this woe now and enjoying it. Weight is coming off slowly but very steadily. My main probs were finding what else to eat, as I don't like salad, don't like hard cheese and don't eat many eggs as they make me feel queasy.
So in the end I settled for oatcakes- which yes are carbs, but only 6 carbs in one. So I have an oatcake on soft cheese or Brie or peanut butter for breakfast and supper, and one meal at 3pm.
I'm now at 10st 3, which is the lowest I've been in 13 years

Sounds like you have found what works for you! I think you are getting a good enough balance of carbsrotein which could be the reason you are doing ok eating the oatcakes even though they contain carbs. There is a book written by an MD called The Insulin Resistance Diet and they use a "Link and Balance" approach to being able to eat carbs but has to be a certain amount to protein ratio and people are supposed to be able to lose. You might give it a read. I own a copy and read it but for me was too many rules and I like the freedom I get from the CAD diet by the Heller's. But even on your own you are doing great and I too have my "own" way that I follow CAD which isn't always 100% by the book but if it works I will do it!

MIW
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-13, 17:16

Plan: VLC/High Fat
Stats: 253/249/200 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Today I had a large steak, melted butter, mayo, spicy mustard, and a bit of mozzarella with olive oil and seasonings. No other food at all except a few fat bombs.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-13, 01:39

Stats: 148/144/120 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 14%

Yep it's all about finding what works and sticking to that, not being side tracked by people saying oh noo you cant do this or that.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-13, 08:53

Plan: CAD (original version)
Stats: 154/153/135 Female 5'7"
BF:33%>30%>19%
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosingMe16
No other food at all except a few fat bombs.

What are fat bombs?
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-13, 13:54

BF:

I have read some various recipes online. Some are with coconut oil, butter, peanut butter, chocolate, just depends on what you want but they are supposed to be super delicious and full of the good fats if you make it with the right kind of coconut oil and can satisfy a sweet tooth if needed or just satisfy cravings. Very high fat however but it is ok if you know what you are doing how you eat with carbs people go full fat diets and lose weight, lower cholesterol and triglycerides. Dr. Peter Attia's website is all about high fat diet and how he shed over 30 pounds and was always active, triahelete type but was always just a bit overweight. Once he went high fat the weight came off. He is a MD and surgeon too, not a quack, not a nutritionist or naturpath. Not that the last 2 are bad but no one takes them serious but put MD behind a name and that gets attention!

MIW
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-13, 19:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitwork
I have read some various recipes online. Some are with coconut oil, butter, peanut butter, chocolate, just depends on what you want but they are supposed to be super delicious and full of the good fats if you make it with the right kind of coconut oil and can satisfy a sweet tooth if needed or just satisfy cravings. Very high fat however but it is ok if you know what you are doing how you eat with carbs people go full fat diets and lose weight, lower cholesterol and triglycerides. Dr. Peter Attia's website is all about high fat diet and how he shed over 30 pounds and was always active, triahelete type but was always just a bit overweight. Once he went high fat the weight came off. He is a MD and surgeon too, not a quack, not a nutritionist or naturpath. Not that the last 2 are bad but no one takes them serious but put MD behind a name and that gets attention!

MIW

I use coconut oil. I can't afford the organic, so I use the Pure. I couldn't wait to get my blood work results this last time to see if it really does lower the triglycerides. Didn't know about the lowering cholesterol. My triglycerides had come down to 144 from 152 three mos before. I was so excited and told my doctor that I had heard it would lower the triglycerides if you put it in your coffee in the morning. I put about 1 tablespoon in my 1st cup of coffee. Not only does it lower the triglycerides, it also keeps you from being hungry. I have replaced some of DH fats with it hoping it will do the same for him. I don't think it has helped with my weight loss. The only thing that seems to be helping that is the changes I've made using CAD/CALP.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-13, 06:03

Plan: CAD (original version)
Stats: 154/153/135 Female 5'7"
BF:33%>30%>19%
Progress: 5%

Interesting, thanks for the info makeitwork and patty.