Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 06:21

Plan: my own
Stats: 164/125/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs down after all this time waiting.. pork rinds are so GROSS!

UGGGHHHHH, I can't believe how disgusting they are, and this coming from a committed carnivore! They look like curly skin! tooo much. YUCK. Well, at least I know never to order them again, maybe I will grind them up and use them as a coating or something. Again, uuuughhhhh.
Doods.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 06:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/126/119
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Yuk!

I'm glad I'm not the only one, Doods! Gross! They smell really bad too. My ex loved them & I couldn't be in the same room when he was eating them, they smelled so bad. There's a recipe on Karen's page for cookies made from pork rinds (pork scratchings, we call them over here. I've no idea why!). Can't imagine what they'll be like but they might be worth a try, if only to get rid of them. And if they're really bad it might put you off cookies for life! Fat chance! Sorry Karen- I bet they're delicious!

Daisy
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 06:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179.6/179.6/144 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Pork Rinds

I know what you mean. I have four bags, 2 plain and 2 BBQ. It's hard to get past the idea and the taste is less than desirable. I've heard that there are brands with a very mild taste, I put these in the category with textured vegetable protein, you know if your hungry enough and there was nothing else you could survive on them. I am going to try an idea I saw on another forum where you put them in the microwave with cheese and then eat them with sour cream (maybe with some chilli powder). If that doesn't do it, there gone. To each his own though.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 10:25

Stats: 178/167.5/130
BF:
Progress: 22%

I Love this forum! I am so glad you guys hate the taste of Pork Rinds! I tried them (had a whale of a time finding them in the store) - any they were VILE!

To make matters worse, I was so excited about having a crunchy snack that had such lo carbs I bought 2 BAGS!!!

Threw them both away after the first taste. YUUUUCK

#5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 11:09
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 137/122/115
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default yum!

Ya'll are crazy, i think they are great... second only to beef jerky... both foods which i never thought i'd eat!!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 12:45

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

I really don't like them alone at all and I too do not like the smell. But I now crave them as a breading on my chicken or pork. I grind them up in my food processor and add lots of parmesan cheese to them, then dip my meat in egg, then the crushed pork rinds and fry in olive oil. You never taste the pork rind, but beware, have your kitchen fan on high while cooking because they smelled like rendering fat when you cook them. But truly, try them as a breading, like I said, I crave breaded meat now with pork rinds.

You can also crush them up and use them as a meatball or meatloaf filler, rather then breadcrumbs, again, no tasting them, but they do the trick.

Cindy
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 13:18

Plan: my own
Stats: 164/125/125 Female 64
BF:

Thanks Cindy, great tips... It would be such a waste to just throw them out... I ordered 10 bags!!!
Doods.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 14:19

Plan: Atkins Diet w/ a twist
Stats: 200/177/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default gross

I almost got sick the first time I tried them. I kept thinking of a pig roast I went to in college. I still can't eat them to this day- and the smell is horrible !
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 14:27

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Now, Now.... lets not pick on the pork rinds too much!!!
I do like the BBQ ones but retained water from all the salt everytime I ate them!!
I have a full bag now (for weeks) but plan to use them in recipes only. I guess theres quite a few recipes here to use pork rinds as the coating or filling (in place of bread crumbs)
SO... don't trash them!!!!
Ellie
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 15:53

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

not a fan, either--the thought or look doesn't bother me, but the taste doesn't turn me on (I think I expected "bacon" and they aren't that!)

What I do love is home-made chicken breast skins, roasted until they are crunchy and well drained of fat. plenty of salt, and...it's definitely my favorite animal-fat snack.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 16:40

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Default feeling left out

I tried pork scratchings at a beer-tasting a while back and I thought they were pretty foul, too. Had beef jerky in America a few months ago and liked it well enough but ye ghods was I thirsty after! I drank about ten cups of water one after the other. Don't like chicken skin, even if dry and crispy. Luckily, never met a cat who didn't.
Was feeling a bit left out on the animal-snacks front until I remembered dried smoked bacon. In fact, there's some in the fridge right now... See you later!
Zanny
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 16:49

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Talking

So sorry to hear all of you are not really into the pork rinds. I love them!!! They are the best thing for me to have around for a crunchy snack in the evening. I'm ashamed to say that on occasion I have eaten a whole bag at one sitting. I know, not a pretty sight!!!!! But it was either that or something I shouldn't have. LUckily, it didn't affect me. Thank goodness. Hope you can all find a way to use up your pork rinds!!!

Glenda
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 21:49

Stats: 188.5/182/168
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm happy to read I'm not the only one who doen't like pork rinds. I remembe rmy mother in law eating them well before I had ever tried atkins.. and the smell made me gag.. my dog wouldn't even finish the one my son tried to eat LOL....

I have tried them since for making fried chicken and porkchops but it still had a funny flavor. I wonder if I used more spices in it if that flavor would be covered up.. hmmm

This is my first day on this board and am already loving it..

Tawnya
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 21:55

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Pork rinds are definitely a YMMV thing. I go in and out of "pork rind fever"...I'll eat lots for a while,then get tired of them. I certainly don't enjoy themwithout something like cheese or a dip.

Lisa

Tawnya - are you a doula? If so, me too! I tried to PM you but you don't have 25 posts yet!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 22:00

Stats: 188.5/182/168
BF:
Progress: 32%

Lisa,
Yes I am a doula, Im not sure how the buddy list works but I added you... if you would like you can email me tlcdoula~hotmail.com

Sorry for the private message everyone..

Tawnya