Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 17:46

Plan: Atkins, Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 278.3/175/165 Female 64
BF:42%/15.9%/14-15%
Progress: 91%
Default Tomorrow is the first day....

of the rest of my life... I have decided to kick the nasty ole habit of smoking... I know it is going to be hard... hell it is going to be down right killer but I figure if I could give up the bar laden foods that I used to eat, stick with this WOE for almost 22 months, and have the courage to try many new things I figured I can quit smoking.... I am here for the long road... I know I can do it... I am ready...

Anybody that could give me some encouragement along the way it would be most appreciated!!

Julie-- Determined to Kick the Habit!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 09:38
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

You can do it Julie.. I myself am on day 15. If ya need a quit smoking buddy just call on me and wtg on the loss, youv done an amazing job.
I smoked for 21 years,uhg. Now I am on that long road to recovery.. Best of luck to you.

Angel
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 09:42

Angel thanks for the post... Well I have been up for almost 7 hours and have only had 2 cigarettes... I know... I didn't make it but I am going to... considering in those 7 hours I would have easily had 10 cigarettes if not more smoked. So I am driving to stay busy... Thanks again! I will post tonight how I did for the day.

Julie
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 14:42
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

I sunscribed to this thread so I can check up on ya, hehehe. And I know what you mean, cause I had cut down too before quitting. Im here if ya need to vent. It's a tough battle.

Angel
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 15:03

Okay well I have been doing okay today but I have smoked 4 cigarettes.... I have been up for 13 hours which by this time I would have had almost a whole pack up in smoke if not the whole pack.... So I figure it will get easier!!

Thanks for the support!!

I will let you know at the end of the night how I did.... please feel free to post any encouraging words you can!

Juls
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 18:22

Well it is 7:30 and in 16 1/2 hours I have had 6 cigarettes.. so much for quitting smoking but I am proud of myself anyhow... I would have had a pack and half done by now....

So not too bad!!!

I will check in tomorrow!!

Juls
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 16:14

Okay it is 5:17 p.m. on day 2 of quitting smoking and I have had 9 cigarettes.. not as good as yesterday but I am starting to get busy and going to go walking again so I will hopefully be preoccupied... I hope to only have one more tonight at the most to finish with 10...

My plan for tomorrow... to have one cigarette in the house.. If I chose to smoke it first thing in the morning well so be it.. That just means I am done for the day... I hopefully will make it until later in the day if I smoke one at all...

I will let you all know how it goes tonight for the rest of the day!!

Juls
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 19:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/185/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hi Juls,

That's great you want to stop smoking, but I think you're making it way harder on yourself than it needs to be. I C&Ped this post I made the other day on a different thread, it might help you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharma
At the risk of sounding like an annoying broken record on the smoking threads, please consider getting Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking book.

I smoked 1-1.5 packs a day for 22 years, and never thought I'd be able to stop. This book was a lifesaver, in more ways than one. I quit Jan 5th and haven't had one smoke since, nor have I wanted to (for real).

Here are links to the book. I included the UK Amazon link too, because he's actually an English author and better know there

Allen Carr Barnes & Noble. (scroll down for reviews)

Amazon.co.UK(Carr) (scroll down for reviews)

I found the book in paperback at my local Barnes & Noble. I think it was only around $7 or so.

BTW, Allen Carr strongly advices a person not quit while they are reading the book, but to wait until they finish. That was a suggestion I personally liked LOL
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 05:45
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

You can do it.. gonnabefit.. I knew myself and had to rid the house of EVRYTHING smoke related. I can't even light a candle for cripes sake,lol.. Stay strong

Angel
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 17:37

Hey Gang!!

Kharma thanks for the information... I will be checking for them...

Angel thanks for the continued support... about 6:45 p.m. here and only 4 smokes... I am very proud of myself... I figure by Wednesday/ THursday at the latest I should be smoke free

Thanks again,
Juls
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 21:21

Stats: 235/214/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:40
Progress: 28%

Make it today as tomorrow never gets here... (as I am so kindly reminded ever time I say tomorrow)
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 21:51

Stats: 205/189/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 23%

A few things that helped me to quit and stay quit (other than welbutrin!).
1) Pay attention to how people who smoke smell. If you've been away from it for a while, and say the cashier at the gas station smoked, pay attention to it and how truly sickening it smells.
2) Stop smoking in your house immediately. I dont care if it is 20 below - stop smoking in your house. That way when you go to smoker's houses you'll notice how dusty and dank they smell.
3) Brush your teeth every time you want to smoke, or swish with listerine
4) Drink LOTS of water
5) Remember that your addiction is exactly that, an addiction and you'll have to fight it tooth and nail to win. It is NOT stronger than you are.
6) If you want a smoke so bad you're in tears, go run up and down the stairs and then listen to yourself breath - i promise it wont be pretty.
7) Chew the crap out of pencils or straws to help with the oral fixation.
8) I gained all my weight back (thus the reason for this forum!) when I quit, so dont freak out if you gain weight. You are a million times healthier not smoking than you would be a few pounds lighter (besides you're already working on that).
9) Do not ever give up. You might struggle and struggle and struggle, but one day you'll get tired of the fight and simply be done with it.
10) As as smoker, right now you have the most god awful breath in the whole neighborhood. I dont care how much listerine you use, how many altoids you eat, or how much gum you chew - you smell HORRIBLE. Remember that.

Good luck, lots of big hugs and warm thoughts. Eventually, you'll be fine!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 05:37

Well I finished with only 5 cigarettes yesterday... the sad thing is... they were nasty tasting and really didn't "do" anything for me... It is just such a habit... but I am not strong enough to not have any around... They are in my car in the garage so that helps... We have washed up and put away all the ashtrays and this evening I will be febreezing the whole house and closets and such... I would also like to maybe paint the walls and such.... I jsut wish it was cooler outside so we could open up the house and air it out... later this week it is only supposed to be in the mid 80's so maybe then....

Janetly, thank you so much for the tips... I have printed them out!!

Thanks everyone for your encouragement!!

Juls
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 20:47

Exclamation

Okay I think I am on my way... I have been smoke free for 10 hours.... woohoo!!!

I have got rid of all the ashtrays, sprayed my house with Febreeze, and have no access to cigarettes... I am on my way!!!!!!!!!!

Juls
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 03:32

Default Wednesday

Well I woke up this morning and didn't even think about smoking... It has now been almost 17 hours without one... I am quite pleased with myself... WOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!

Juls