Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-09, 06:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 197.5/197.5/155 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default PCOS and Hysterectomy?

Ok I have probably had PCOS all of my life, however, there was not a disorder for it back then. I had the irregular periods, hair growth, cysts (had surgery when I was 16), infertility problems, weight issues...on and on. Then at age 32 I had an hysterectomy. Well no more period problems, however, that opened up a new can of worms....lots of "menopause" symptoms...etc...a year ago I posed a question to my gyn....do I still have PCOS? I still can't lose weight...I still have hair growth..and she said YES...that studies show that women with PCOS are more likely to develop diabetes, choleserol probs and high bp. So here I am on Atkins again...very, very, very strickly...mostly protein and losing...but wanted to know if anyone else out there has same thing going on?????????????
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-09, 09:53
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Well, the first question I would ask you is that when you had your hysterectomy, did they also remove your ovaries? If they removed your ovaries, you no longer have anything to become cystic, but you still will have the sequelae of PCOS--i.e., insulin resistance, alterations in lipids, blood pressure implications etc.

By choosing a carbohydrate controlled life-style (which I recommend to ALL my PCOS patients) you have taken a huge step in controlling this syndrome.
For some women, just by following a carbohydrate controlled diet can control and or alleviate all symptoms. For others, the addition of medications to improve insulin resistance (such as metformin or glucophage) are needed. And for others, they may need assistance with blood pressure issues. By controlling you carbohydrate intake--which helps normalize insulin resitance, and losing weight--which comes with normalization of insulin, blood pressure drops, lipid profiles improve, ovulation resumes, hair growth diminishes etc.

Yes, PCOS is a can of worms because so many issues are inter-related and hormonally driven i.e., insulin. PCOS affects approximately 10% of all women.

There are multiple sites on the internet re: PCOS. A popular site seems to be soul cysters, but there are multiple support sites including here on this forum.

Good Luck with improving your health. You have taken probably the best step by being here.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 14:12

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Yes, whether you've had the ovaries out or not you can still have PCOS. It';s not just a case of the ovaries producing too much testosterone, it's also the adrenal gland producing too much. That's why it doens't go away for people who have hysterectomies usually.

A good site might be hystersisters for information on this. Are you taking ERT?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-09, 05:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 197.5/197.5/155 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Pcos and Hysterectomy

Quietone,
Thanks for your response. I know my body and I love the fact that what I was feeling is backed up by what you are saying. I will check out hystersisters and I am not on ERT at this time. I have just started a nautual program thru Women to Women of Yarmouth, Maine (www.womentowomen.com). When I lived in Maine they were my ob/gyn and they were just awesome I was recently reconnected with them while looking up something for my daughter...their website is a wealth of info and after doing lots of research and emailing and talking with them I started their program. So far, so good!!!
I have found that low carbing has helped however I have found that I must watch every single carb and protein that goes into my mouth. I find that several "allowed" carbs make me stuck or hinder my weight loss. I am still in the learning curve as to what works for me and what does not work for me. This is truly a learning process and and I finding out "who I am" thru it!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-09, 08:18

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 288/224.8/180 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 59%

I had my hyster Dec 2007, and have not been on any additional meds or supplements. They left the ovaries, and I have not yet started any hormone replacement, and hope that I will never need any. PCOS is with me for life, whether I lose weight or not. It is genetic, and not a symptom of being obese. I had the symptoms of PCOS long before I ever became overweight, and I will continue to have a scattered handful of them even after I lose 100 lbs.

After my hyster operation, my attitude changed for the better, as I was no longer constantly having a period, and I could go out in public without a fear of spotting through my clothes. My time with my hubby has gotten much better, as I'm no longer self-concious and afraid I am going to start spotting at the drop of a dime, or flow through my clothes unexpectedly. The hormonal migraines are also greatly lessened to a few times a week, to maybe once a month.

My health and weight, however, has not changed one bit since the operation. Before the procedure I was only eating one meal a day, but my hubby and kids forced me to eat regularly while I was supposed to be recovering. Before I started low carbing last week, I had finally reached a point where I was consistently eating three meals a day and sometimes snacking - which is what my dietitican had been trying to get me to do for years.

In all, I would do the procedure again today if I had to, as it has changed my life for the better in many ways. If I had not broken my eating cycle, I would not be in the position I am today to take control of my weight and take back my health.

I know from low carbing before my last preg though, that I was metabolically resistant to weight loss, so I was able to approach the diet this time with knowledge. So far, I don't feel too deprived, and as I plan on doing this for the rest of my life, that has been a huge weight off my shoulders. The key this time was looking forward to all the great tasting things I am able to eat, instead of concentrating on the things I can't have.

It is nice to have forums like this to appeal to when you need help, so connect when needed, and find a local group if you need face-to-face contact. I get recharged from the forums alone, and rarely interact, but they are invaluable to my progress.