Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 01:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/154.5/147
BF:26/23.7/21
Progress: 66%
Question Your top 2 REASONS not to CHEAT on ATKINS?

I'm quite disappointed in myself. I had been doing so well but this Saturday succumbed to cheating. I had not prepared myself mentally to a situation where I KNEW there would be temptations. Part of me had that idea rolling around in my head about people who cheat and then whoosh.......??!!

NOT SO FOR ME!

The good news is I KNOW now how it impacts me and the top two reasons are (there are many more):

!) Bumped out of ketosis for over 72 hours now!!!
2) Sooooooo disappointed in myself but determined to get back on track.

I invite all of you to share your top reasons to help people like myself who HAVEN'T thought it thru before a temptation to THINK about it beforehand. Take care
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 04:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 201/154/140 Female 5ft4inches
BF:yes it is
Progress: 77%

My one and only thought that keeps me on the "straight and narrow" is no FOOD can make me feel as good as those scales do when they tell me I have lost again!
I have never experianced a rush of emotion like it, and nothing I have eaten has done that to me. Yeah I make all the mmmm noises but never that feeling.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 07:20

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

1) If I cheat, I will never look back....I am a carboholic.
2) My life is more important than a chocolate bar.

I almost lost it last night! The kids were having graham crackers and milk and I almost gave in....but NO! I ate some egg salad with a big glass of ice water and the craving went away!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 18:23

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%

I am, unfortunately, one of those who thought they could load up on carbs and then woosh - I did this for 2 weekends and lost 5 #'s total!

Then, reality set in...the next time I tried this, I put on a small amt. of weight. Then, b/c I was used to "cheating" on the weekends, I gained another 2#'s. I was so frustrated and sad.

Even though I am doing modified Atkins, I am slowly figuring out my limits and my body is adjusting itself.

I agree completely - there is nothing that tastes as good as thin feels. I have never been thin, per se, but I am darn determined to find out
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 12:11

Plan: "Summersizing"
Stats: 320/252/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

1. Carbing caused years of anxiety attacks for me. Going off track isn't worth the risk.
2. See #1.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 00:18

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

What keeps me on the straight and narrow, ( no pun intended), is that, I have wanted to lose this weight for so long, that no food is worth being fat again
This way of eating has been like a miracle to me. The first plan, I've ever been on and it'll be the last, ( other than maybe switching to another LC if needed) but hey, this works

Good luck all Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 17:53

Stats: 168/139/120
BF:36%/29%/18%
Progress: 60%
Default I don't know about two reasons, but..

I had a carb relapse yesterday. I felt like crap afterwards. My stomach hurt, I was so bloated, and felt like I was drunk. I had the worst belly ache. All I have to do is remember how I felt today, and I won't cheat again.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 20:59
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/176/120 Female 65"
BF:35%/25%/20%
Progress: 19%

I too had a carb relapse this weekend. I have found the culprit....those Atkins bars and low carb bars, as well as caffeine must have made me have those terrible cravings, as well as ups and downs. No more bars for me (at least until I lose a lot more weight). I have changed my coffee to 1/2 caffeine for a few days, so to get weened off the caffeine.

I really felt terrible after the cheat (hard to concentrate, lazy, irritable, and bloated). I was doing so well before the cheat & felt energetic. That should be a lesson for me and others that cheat!

I will move forward - for tomorrow is a new beginning for me on induction (again).
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 02:28

Stats: 224/185/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally posted by hev
My one and only thought that keeps me on the "straight and narrow" is no FOOD can make me feel as good as those scales do when they tell me I have lost again!

wow, thats EXACTLY what I told myself the first time I did atkins!! =)
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 16:05

Stats: 197/170/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Unhappy ketostix

Hi Everybody! I am losing weight so well on the Atkins diet (17 lbs. since April 29th) but I cannot get those sticks to change colors at all! It's frustrating - they don't even get to pink. People tell me I shouldn't worry...but is my body really getting it's energy from burning my fat?

Somebody HELP! : confused

Thanks!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 23:58
Registered Member

Stats: -/-/140
BF:
Progress:
Smile My main reason is...

My most successful dieting attempts were done with a dieting buddy. I've kept in daily contact with this person, committing that I would stick to my food plan... for the day. As I wrote in the journal that I just started today, a commitment is a promise... and promises you just don't break. If you're not absolutely positive you can keep 'em, then you just don't make 'em. Plain and simple. I can't promise to stick to this WOE for the rest of my life, but I CAN commit to sticking with it for one day... and those days add up.

So my main reason is that I'm not about to break a promise. Also, when I'm working with a dieting buddy, he/she is counting on me for support as well. I can't let them down and if I succumb to temptation, then I'm doing just that. They're depending on me just as much as I'm depending on them.

I think if you get yourself a partner to work with who is serious about supporting you, it makes this whole thing so much easier! If you're held accountable to somebody other than yourself, it really keeps you on track.

Elle
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 18:20
Registered Member

Stats: 350/331/200 Female 68 Inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

My main reasons:

1. I have worked so hard at this WOE that it is not worth it to start all over again just for a high carb item!
2. My DH and I are doing this together and no way am I going to let him have more will power than me!

Michelle
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 11:32

Plan: Trying CAD
Stats: 183/162.8/120 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Smile

1. I will knock myself out of ketosis. BAD THING!!

2. I haven't cheated yet and its been over a month, why would I want to do it now.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 11:49

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Even after 10 months lowcarbing, I still feel like I'm "cheating" every time I sit down to a ribeye steak w/all the fat, a great big salad w/real salad dressing or veggies smothered in butter and, for dessert, strawberries w/real whipped cream! Oh, yeah...and my double double coffee w/18% cream.

With all that "cheating", I've lost 53 pounds, so I guess my top two reason for not falling off the LC wagon are:

1. Why the heck would I?
2. Can't think of another reason.

judy