Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 07:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Post LC Foods in UK Supermarkets

New Thread which will always stay on top.
STRICTLY for LC Food shopping and best LC Product Stores in the UK.
Please post Relevant Specific information as to product, price, store, your opinion of product, your recipe using the product.
This could become a veritable mine of information for UK LCers.

Perhaps we could take it a stage further and put the information in Yellow Pages of LC Tools so that anyone anywhere in the world would have easy access to these discoveries by UK LCers.

This is the link for making your entry there . It would be greatly appreciated and welcomed by visiting LCers to UK.

Last edited by fiona : Mon, Jun-10-02 at 14:13.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 08:47

BF:
Wink My favourite haunts

LIDL
1. Frankfurters (by Roach Foods): 0.63g carbs/frankfurter ; approx. £2/350g: Freezeable. Tasty, easy to grill, fry, slice
2. Fresh meats/chicken/fish/eggs/cheese at very reasonable prices

HOLLAND & BARRETT (H&B)
Pure SOYA PROTEIN Isolate Powder; 0.5g carbs/100g ; approx £5/908g tin;
Tastes awful on its own but ideal to mix with other foods at almost negligible carb count.

H&B
WHEY PROTEIN; 6.7g/100g; approx 1.5g/serving in the scoop provided; £22/908g tin except at their many sale periods, when it is often at half price.
Three flavours: Chocolate (5*); Vanilla (4*) and Strawberry (best**); Tastes great, filling but does contain sweetener

H&B
NUTS of all kinds (except Macademia Nuts) at very reasonable prices
VITAMIN and MINERAL supplements of all kinds

SAINSBURYS
Macademia Nuts; 4.7g carbs/100g; approx £1.40; Quite pricey £14/kg
Fresh Meats, Chicken, Fish, Cheese, Eggs at reasonable prices

VB FOODS (Wembley and Kingsbury)
Linseeds, NUTS at approx half of H&B prices but no nutritional information on packs.
Spices, herbs and all things Indian.

Hope this is helpful to any visitors.

Take Care.

Last edited by fiona : Tue, Feb-19-02 at 13:31.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 13:38

Plan: atkins/x factor
Stats: 157/157/133
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi all here goes

Lidl

Frozen brat wurst sausages----pack of 10 i think £2.59 and only 0.5g carbs each and they are huge!

huge tin of dulano premium ham at 0g carbs and very tasty

lovely frying steak----you get 2 steaks for £1.99---and good quality---about 12 oz in pack-----so i eat both!

holland and barrett

soya protein isolate in a tin in vanilla flavour------£6.99 and 0g carbs----great for baking

i'm sure i'll think of more and then i'll add to the list!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 17:32

Plan: my own
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 34%
Cool

London locations, but check websites for location near you:

SELFRIDGES FOOD HALL, 400 Oxford St. W1A 1AB; 7629-1234(www.selfridges.com); Bond St. or Marble Arch Tube
Wonder at the variety: the food AND the prices. Can be pricey, but has a fantastic deli, kosher food, 38 varieties of olives, ready meals, fresh fish, a butcher's, salt-beef bar, and sushi bar. The wine shop is also good if so inclined. Who says LC is austere?

SAFEWAY, 159-69 Edgeware Rd. W2; 7723-1946 (www.safeway.co.uk); Paddington Tube/Rail
Reasonably priced eggs and veg (get those leafy greens in!) This location has a small halal/kosher counter [halal sliced beef, 1.72/340g]. Some nice cheeses. Buy your basics here for less.

SAINSBURY'S, 158A Cromwell Rd. SW7; 7373-8313 (www.sainsburys.co.uk); Earl's Ct. or Glouster Rd. Tube
Fresh meats, fish, eggs, veg, nuts. Economy-sized parcels of meat that you can divide for freezing. Some locations have rotisserie chicken, my favourite! Mid-range prices.

WAITROSE, 199 Finchley Rd. NW3; 7624-0453 (www.waitrose.com); Finchley Rd. Tube
Fresh meats, fish, eggs, nuts, veg. Good for organics, free-range meats and eggs. Deli has hot food [roast chicken 3.79 each] and cold [seafood salad 1.79/100g]. Highly recommended cheese counter. Mid to expensive prices.

Neal's Yard Dairy, 17 Shorts Gardens, WC2; 7240-5700
Covent Garden Tube
These cheeses are ALIVE with flavour! Ultimate selection! And they want you to sample everything!

Ginger Pig, Borough Market, SE1; 07801-847245
London Bridge Tube/Rail
Naturally reared pork, beef, free-range organic chicken, lamb. Some of the best quality meat anywhere.

Spitalfields Market, Commercial St. btwn Lamb St. and Brushfield St., E1; Liverpool St. Tube/Rail
Looking for organic produce, and lots of it? Look no further than Spitalfields from 10am until 5pm, Sundays! They've got it all, including farm fresh eggs, cheeses, and some meats.

Fresh & Wild, 49 Parkway, NW1; 7428 7575 (www.freshandwild.com) Camden Town Tube
Ever drool over a red pepper or a bunch of spinach? You will after visiting this store-- fantastic array of organic veg, nuts, and soy products. Tea selection is good and suppliments numerous with lots of info available to help with selection. Also locations in Soho and Clapham Junction, among others.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 08:18

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 143/131/121
BF:
Progress: 55%
Thumbs up

Brilliant idea!

My favourites:
1) Safeway (mainly because it's my local)
Safeway Matured Cheddar and Onion Sausages
price - £1.99
carbs - 1.1 per sausage
very tasty

Rotisserie plain whole roasted chicken (£2.99), garlic whole roasted chicken (£3.49)

Mixed (green & black) pitted olives with herbs from Deli section for £0.98 per 100g - goes well for snack - really tasty!

Cornish clotted cream
around £1.50
low-carb, but watch out for calories, great with strawberries

Sugar-free jelly (so-called Jell-O) by Safeway and other brands up to £0.74 per 2-sachets (3 servings each if you are that good)

SoBe Lean Metabolic Enchancer drink, £1.54. Very tasty, contains chromium as well as sweeteners.

Ready to eat shelled Mussels 200g pack - great in salads. but contain about 2g carb per 100 g.

2) Marks & Spencer
Sandwich fillers: Prawn and Mayonnaise (0.7g carb per 100g) - very delicious, Egg & Bacon (1.5 g carb), Poached Salmon & Cucumber (2.6g carb)

Pastrami - very tasty, 0carbs £2.99

Fresh Brazil Nuts and other nuts

Cream Cheese with garlic and herb - gets me into nirvana - really really nice, low carb, prefer not to think about the price mainly because of the amounts consumed) Great with Celery sticks.

Crispy Bacon (Smoked or Unsmoked) - 0 carbs, very crunchy, nice with the same old Cream Cheese (as above)

Great and not so cheap veggies - as everybody knows.

3) Especially for those nuts lovers I found GREAT place for nuts in London, called Nuts about Nuts, 1 min walk from Edgware Rd tube station on the Bell Street, NW1. They have great selection of nuts in different flavour, but beware! just don't look to your right - mouth-watering display of different Turkish delights (Turkish shop after all).

4) and last but not the least Waitrose, definitely the winner for me on the LC varieties. But far from being my local. They have again nuts, great sugar-free Italian soft cheeses, and mayonnaise with 0carbs! meat, great deli section etc But not so cheap.

Oh... I forgot Heinz Weight-watchers Warbutons Brown sliced bread at Tesco at only 4.5g carb per a very thin slice.

Last edited by Ella : Mon, Feb-18-02 at 08:25.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 11:51
Registered Member

Stats: 786/786/786 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default Boots:- Diabetic food section

Boots:- Diabetic food section

PRODUCT:-

Toffees - 75g 0.83pence Carb - 79g ECC - 2g per 100g

Belgian milk chocolate with Hazlenuts - 100g - £1.30 Carb - 48g ECC 8.1g/100g

NOTE:-

Both the above are available in various other flavours.

The higher carb in the above are from polyols which apparently dont raise the blood suger level. They are sweetened with maltitol.

#7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 13:09

BF:
Smile Iceland

ICELAND

Never buy anything at full price – give it a couple of days and the same item will be HALF-PRICE. 2-3 days nearer sell-by date makes no difference to me. They always have one or two items on special offer.

Fresh meats/chicken very often at half price. Frozen meats, fish, chicken. Tinned fish of all kinds. Love the Red and Pink Salmon.

Princess Wild PINK SALMON – tins of 418g 0carb – 85p (special offer for the larger tin is cheaper than the price for the small 213g tin normally sold at £1.09p) Gives me three good meals. Check out my recipe for “fish burgers”.

Take care.

Last edited by fiona : Mon, May-27-02 at 16:46.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 02:54
Registered Member

Stats: 128/122/112
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi

If anyone is looking to buy Myoplex bars or sugar free sweets (to remove the taste of Ketosis in your mouth) then there is a health food store in Hampstead worth visiting.

The woman who runs the health food store is quite keen to order in for you the things that you like.

I cant remember what the health food store is called but it is opposite Hampstead Tube Station.

Also - the fourth floor Selfridges has the best Pharmacia in London that I have seen so far and the staff are knowledgeable and brilliant. If you dont want to speak to the staff, they have puters dotted around the department to help you identify what you are looking for and what you might need nutrition wise and food-wise.

Daschnook
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 03:11

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 143/131/121
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Mail order

There's a UK site for LC stuff by mail, you can find it here:
http://www.carblife.com/

They have good value macadamia nuts. And if you have those sweet cravings they have LC chocolates, but better to keep away if you can't stop at one. They help me to go through my days with TOMy with reasonably minimum damage They also used to have Keto line bread/pudding/muffin mixes and other stuff.
£5 delivery charge.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 03:21

Plan: atkins/x factor
Stats: 157/157/133
BF:
Progress: 0%

also the myoplex bars are cheaper on the carblife website than in Hampstead----of course you have p&p to pay but it's worth it if you are ordering lots------i love the lemon cheese cake flavour with a long black decaf coffee as it's so rich and yummy---only 3g carb and a big bar---70g.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 06:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%

if you are a soup lover like me try ASDA Brocolli & stilton Soup £1.08 for 500g - just 9g of carb in the whole tub - very nice! Its in the chiller cabinet withe thGarlic bread (boo!)

400g Avonmore ham £1.58 at just 1.6g carbs per 100g.

they also do some foil tray ready meals a bit pricey at 2.99 each or 2 for £5.00. My favs are (2) chicken breats stuffed with spinach & ricotta at 3.5g carbs per pack. Also do Salmon in LYonaise sauce at about 5g per pack of 2 salmon fillets.

Also love Asda own brand Organic Korma cooking Sauce at 6g carbs per 100g (quarter jar. makes a nice chicken & cauliflower korma.

A bit high in carbs if you make a whole meal, but a good dollop your plate for dipping is good: Asda Mild Chilli Sauce 94p 13g per 100g portion.

Chicken Tonight do 2 gorgeous sauces - Creamy peppercorn, 5.3g carb per 100g. A jar will last me a few nights. Also do a classic chassueur at just 3.9g per 100g portion.

Also live Pepperami spicy or plain, make a boring omlette taste different.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 13:06

BF:
Thumbs up CRISPS - Seeweed

Thanks everyone. Lots of helpful information.

Here's an entry I found elsewhere which I thought was good to copy in here.

If you miss crisps, try flavoured nori (seaweed pressed into sheets)!
It is salty, thin, and crispy and comes in pre-cut foil packs.
The type I buy had this nutritional info:

Ingredients: seaweed, salt, rapeseed oil, sesame oil.
Serving size 0.07oz./2.1g
Calories 10
Total fat 0.5g
Saturated fat 0.3g
Cholesterol 0.0g
Sodium 74.3mg
Total carbs 0.8g
Fiber 0.04g
Sugars 0.03g
Protien 0.53g
It also has vit. A, C, calcium, and iron (small amounts)

This is Korean nori, BTW, which traditionally has sesame oil. Japanese nori also comes flavoured, just watch out for sugar (like in the teriyaki kind.) Check labels!

For anyone in the southern UK, I found it easily in New Malden (my favourite store is Intel) which has a large Korean community.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 08:02

Stats: 122/116/104
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Tesco

Tesco *Finest* range - Chicken with mushrooms and wine sauce (I'm not so sure about that last part). Only 0.8g carb per 100g and has two servings. Best of all it tastes absolutely delicious.

Heinz portein powder (Calestan I think?) has zero carbs and is really nice whizzed with soya milk (Provamel Red Pack - 0.6g per 100ml) for a thick milkshake.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 04:47
Registered Member

Stats: 128/114/114
BF:
Progress: 100%

Tesco
Gia tubes of; sun dried tomato puree 0.5 g per 100g, chilli puree 2g per 100g, also do red and green pesto which are low carb.

I make tomato soup using 1/2 tin plum tomatoes, tbsp of sun dried tomato puree, cream to taste and black pepper. Whizz it up in the blender and heat. It is nicer than Heinz!

Anchor extra thick real dairy cream (squirty can - gold) Pure cream and no additives. Because it is aerated you tend to use less.

President spreadable butter (just like the butter you get on holiday in France) is delicious.

Edam 1/2 fat cheese (it has no rubbish added to it but is a lot less calories than full fat so you can eat more of it!)

Cocoabear
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 06:54

Stats: 175/161/147
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Ice Cream

Not strictly low carb, but much lower carb than standard Ice cream - excellent for a treat at 10 grams of carb per hundred grams:

Minghella Dolce Vita real vanilla Ice Cream for Slimmers and Diabetics.

100 grams provides:

Energy 109kcal
Protein 3g
Carbohydrate 10.6
of which fructose 6.2g
Fat 5g
Polydextrose 7g
Sodium nil
Calcium 107mgs

It tastes really good and is less 'sweet' than normal Ice Cream - which I personally like. 100 grams of this is a decent amount.

I found it in Tesco