Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 14:23
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb Doing all the right things for the wrong reasons ...

From Thin for Good by Fred Pescatore M.D.:
Quote:
You may say "If I am dieting, what difference does it make why I do it if I still lose weight?" This may be all right for the weight loss section of the diet, but can never be good enough for the maintenance section of the diet. It may never be good enough even for the weight loss section of the diet, because if it WERE good enough, then why are you reading yet another diet book? .......

...... So what is the right reason? To be honest, I don't think you can always tell what the truly right reasons are. I know what some of the wrong reasons are: losing weight for your spouse, losing weight for your mother, losing weight because you should, losing weight because you're getting older -- the list goes on. There is no way you can even hope to achieve long-term success with those reasons in place. Write down a few reasons why you're trying to lose weight.
  1. _______________
  2. _______________
  3. _______________
  4. _______________
It is important that we work backwards from our goal. First we must establish a goal, then do everything necessary to reach that goal. Nothing should stand in our way. We can let nothing make us veer from our path. We can't be wishy-washy when it comes to having a goal. We either have one or we don't. I think most of us, at least when it comes to dieting, think that if we don't succeed today, there will be another day, the next diet, another goal to set. How many of us will wake up ten years later and realize that not only are we not in the same place we were then, but we are actually worse because the 20 lbs we had to lose then have now ballooned to 50?

You must have the right reasons for losing weight -- like doing it for yourself, or doing it to get over a feeling of inadequacy you lived behind all your life because of your weight. The right reasons are probably going to be quite deep and complex. Something that may take some work, something you may not actually want to explore. But I know that exploration is worth the effort, and it will help make this diet the last diet you will ever need.
This advice applies to any diet, any program you undertake. You must have a goal in mind, and stick to it .. for the right reasons

Good luck to all, and happy goal-setting!

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 16:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Great excerpt! I'm going to pick up that book.