Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-02, 11:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Lightbulb Hellooooo Out There... (A Maintenance Rambling)

What a quiet group - do people leave the forum once they're maintaining?

I'm now considering myself in maintenance. The amount of effort it would require for me to lose that infamous last 10-15 lbs isn't worth it. I've already cut so many things out of my lifestyle; I'm not willing to tighten the screws any harder. Why bother? To be a size 5 or 7 instead of a 9? What difference does it really make?

As much as I'd love to wave a magic wand and get rid of those last few pounds, life is too short to take away my remaining enjoyment of food and beverage (read 'beer' ) to do so.

I have a formerly-obese friend (non-LC) who's pared herself down to model tinyness. She spends a lot of time at the gym and she's been sick with a constant stream of colds for months. I don't want to be her. It's not worth it! Going from 'normal/healthy' to 'below normal/unhealthy' impresses people far less than you think it does.

So, last week, I stopped entering food on fitday and I stopped measuring food. I went a little carb crazy, but I'm back 'on the wagon' and never gained a pound. All is well. I'll still use fitday every now and then to check up on my nutrient intake, and I'm listing my day's menu in my journal, but that's it. Listing food in my journal is more of a 'mentor' effort; I think it's helpful for people to see each other's menus.

That is all - I'm going to go grab some strawberries.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-02, 11:37

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

Good for you Kristine.

I think that unless I do something drastic like a ckd, I'm in your same boat, physically.

Mentally, though, I'm still trying. I want the fat that's around my muscles to dissappear!!!! Now, don't get me wrong, I'm pleased as lc punch that I have what I have, but I'm still convinced that my body fat can be a few percentage points lower.

Good for you for finding your balance. You are a stellar example!

Peace,
Brenda
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 15:56

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi Kristine,

I agree with all you've said too. I think after LCing a while, you pretty much get to know how much of this and that is about right.
(I can't see anyone going through life weighing everything and computing every mouthful with fitday! A check once in a while should keep us in tow.)
I also think its unrealistic to think you're never going to eat another forbidden food. Myself, I get a little carried away with the sweets (I'm an addict to them, for sure!) But I'm learning to keep the binges to a mininum and cut back on carbs for a few days afterward to keep things in check. Its all trial and error but we have to be on a program we can truely live with and not feel deprived.
As for maintenance being a lonely, quiet place.... I made the same statement some time back. I guess most people just get on with it once they make "goal". I need more support to keep the weight from climbing back on so I try to stay connected here (although I just don't seem to have much time lately!)

Well, I've certainly rambled long enough!
Congrats on the weight loss and on being happy with where you are!
Later, Ellie

Last edited by EllieEats : Mon, Oct-07-02 at 16:06.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 19:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi ladies!

Brenda: I think you're awesome for holding yourself to a higher standard. Someday, when I'm less of a party girl , perhaps I'll take exercise seriously enough to have a cool 'after' pic.

Ellie: I hear you on needing support. I was born and raised a compulsive carb eater. It still feels kind of foreign to me to be eating vegetables. I look forward to the day when it's really, honestly second nature to me.

Have a good week.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 19:00

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

No, LOL not all of us leave. Some of us pop in periodically to see how the 'old gang' is doing and what everybody is up to.

Arriving at maintenance is more of an amazing "attitude adjustment" than anything else. Believe it!