Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 14:10

Plan: pp
Stats: 140.0/140.0/125.0
BF:31%/31%/22%
Progress: 0%
Default Body sending mixed signals

I am on day 2 of PH I, Protein power. I have lost and regained the same 20 pounds on Jenny Craig, Weight watchers, etc. Anyway, I want to loose fat for good!

I have been eating protien appx. 20 grams per meal but have felt exhausted and stuffed since yesterday. Does this tiredness go away?
Also, how on earth can I get 25 grams of fiber in? Any suggestions for fiber on Ph I would help. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 07:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Hi Newchicky,
yes the tiredness does go away, though IMHO it takes a lot longer than the books say. I assume you're supplementing with potassium, 400mg, lack of potassium can cause tiredness.
For fibre, take psyllium husks - I reckon the powder is better than the capsules, you have to take a lot of capsules to get enough.
Folk do all sorts with it, add it to shakes, make cold porridge out of it (!), me I just put 3 teaspoons in a glass of water and drink it down. It isn't nice, but I like what it does for my insides!
Take care and good luck, Jay
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 15:57

Plan: PP, PPLP
Stats: 206/178/170
BF:26%/15%/10%
Progress: 78%
I've been doing Protein Power since the beginning of June and have never felt better. It took me about 5 days to readjust and for the first week or so I had huge cravings but those have completely vanished. In fact, now my main problem is making sure is eat enough.

In the first couple of weeks I've lost 10 pounds and for the last month I've been steadily losing about two pounds per week. My waist has gone from 40" to 36" and my hips from 39" to 37". I have stayed on intervention and eat about 1800 calories per day. I also take a chelated multivitamin and potassium supplement.

As for the fiber I have several suggestions that have worked for me. In the morning and in the evening I take two tablespoons of ground flax meal. That nets me about 8g. I also eat one Atkins chocolate peanut butter bar everyday as a mid morning snack. They taste great (make sure you get the new ones, they just switched to using splenda and it has made a huge difference in the taste) and provide 10g of fiber along with alot of other vitamins and minerals. They are a little on the pricey side but I buy them in a box of five at Hi Health and they work out to be only $1.40 each. In the evenings I eat a quarter cup of Fiber One cereal (half the serving size) without milk. That nets me another 7g of fiber (although also 5g of carbs). I also rotate my vegetables between brocolli, asparagus, and spinach. All are great sources of fiber and very low in carbs. Nuts are also a great source. I love pistachios and eat them as a mid afternoon snack but there are also plenty of others to choose from.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your program!

Glen