Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-12, 09:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I'm also more into celebrating the differences in society than trying to pretend we're all the same - we're not clones.
Yes, everyone is a precious snowflake, however we all came from the same cloud.

Our biggest differences are cultural, though, not the superficial things like eyes and skin. No one can deny cultural differences don't exist and are veryimportant... except when you're talking about biological evolution it doesn't factor in so much. Maybe it will when epigenetics is better understood.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, Jun-06-12 at 12:10.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-12, 09:41
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Yes, everyone is a precious snowflake, however we all came from the same cloud.

Absolutely It should be fascinating and fantastic that we came from the same origins but turned out different - genetically, culturally etc It should be studied and celebrated.

Epigenetics is a really interesting field. I look forward to learning more.

Lee
  #138   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 06:01

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default I eat like a caveman, do you?

Quote:
ABC News
June 11, 2012

I eat like a caveman, do you?

Are you ready for the next fad diet? The one that promises to help you lose the unwanted pounds just before you have to slip into that itsy-bitsy-tiny-weeny-bikini for the summer?

Or maybe everything you have tried just hasn't worked. Maybe you are that one person that loses the 10, albeit to put on 20 after that special event, like the wedding or the class reunion has come and gone.

You were, in your eyes, "skinny" just long enough to take the pictures that will forever be your proof that yes, at one time, I was that tiny.

Well maybe the fad dieting is over. Maybe the answer to your teetering scale is none other than The Paleo Diet.

You've probably heard about it. Plenty have been talking about it. Hundreds of books have been written on it. There are Twitter handles and Facebook accounts solely dedicated to it. There are now even cookbooks that show you the "Paleo Way" and how it will change your life starting right now!

But the question many are asking is: "What in the heck is the Paleo diet?"

Look no further than a Charleston certified fitness trainer Mark McGuirt.

"The general theory behind the Paleo diet and variations of it, is this [thought of] being fat comes primarily from eating a diet that is completely unsuited to our ancient genes and digestive system," explains McGuirt. "Our digestive systems, identical to the ones of our cavemen ancestors, simply are unsuited for the staples of today's diet like dairy, refined sugar and processed food."

Wait! Did he just say CAVEMEN?? Believe me, when he first told me about this one, I gave him the raised eyebrow and told him he was going to have to explain that one further. And so he did.

"Our bodies just can't support ‘today's diet'. By returning to a diet that humans lived on for the vast majority of their time on earth, we can correct a great many of the problems in human health, including but not limited to obesity."

So what is he saying? Well, basically, the diet is that of proteins and vegetables. That's the easy answer. When in doubt, if it didn't come from an animal and it's not a vegetable, then you shouldn't eat it...in the beginning stages of the diet anyway.

"In the two week boot camp [basically the start of your new life with Paleo] sugar is eliminated which is also in fruit remember! [So that does mean the fruit is out for the first 14 days of completely clean eating.] After the two weeks, we reintroduce low glycemic index fruits like blueberries, raspberries and blackberries," explains McGuirt. "These fruits have a low effect on insulin. Controlling insulin is the key to fat loss."

It all sounds great up until this point, but when I first heard about it, it sounded like just another Atkins diet…and we all know how that one turned out!

"The Paleo diet is looking more and more like The Atkins diet. When the Paleo diet first came out they demonized saturated fat intake and said stay away from it. That has changed with current research. Saturated fat will work well as a fuel as long as carbohydrates are low such that insulin is low."

So why would we want to be on a diet like Atkins, when studies show it only worked for a little while?

"With the Atkins plan most people did the introduction phase but [the difference between the two is] Atkins did not go to the next phases which are adding in fresh vegetable, fruits and nuts."

And that's what McGuirt says is key. While you are keeping up with this high protein diet, he says its important to up the fat! (I know it sounds like a catch-22 when you are trying to drop the pounds, but take it from someone that has been going Paleo strong for 40 days, it works!)

"This is a diet you can stay on forever. It is challenging in the beginning because most people's taste buds are so overwhelmed by sugar and salt in their foods that the Paleo diet seems very bland," says McGuirt. "In the words of my mentor Charles Poliquin, ‘Carbs must be earned!' When you decrease your intake of carbohydrates, you must increase your fat intake. Healthy fats that is, such as walnuts, macadamia nuts and avocados. You have to replace those calories to keep you energy up. Fat does not make you fat. Uncontrolled insulin by eating excessive carbohydrate does. If you combine high carb with high fat it spells disaster."

Still not convinced? It might be internal!

"You cannot treat this as a diet. It must be a lifestyle change," McGuirt says. "The main secret to eating Paleo is to plan your meals in advance, learn to cook some recipes [see sample paleo pizza recipe below] from some good Paleo cookbooks and have a cheat meal every 3 days after the 2 week introduction phase."

Look at it this way, if nothing has worked up until this point, then what do you have to lose?

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/18652...-caveman-do-you
  #139   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 06:10

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 180/170/145 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 29%

Wow, an entire article about paleo without a quote from an airhead nutritionist.

I am stunned.
  #140   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 06:42

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/200.7/165 Female 5'9"
BF:

Thank you, Demi, once again, for giving me the latest news first thing in the morning!

No quotes from airheaded nutritionists but a fairly bold mischaracterization of the Atkins diet. Everyone loves to hate on Atkins!
  #141   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 08:02

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Well, airheaded nutritionists aren't needed cuz the article was pretty airheaded by itself. There was no mention of seed oils, and I don't remember wheat being mentioned. I feel these removals are the foundation of Paleo. "Protein and vegetables", hmmm, is how Paleo is defined early on in the piece.

I hate it when Paleo folks bash Atkins -- these diets have far more in common than not -- and diets, like Atkins, have pushed the research forward.
  #142   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 08:11

BF:

Honestly the Atkins diet is basically the same way that most paleo people eat since paleo people tend to adhere only 80% to 95% of the time. A 100% pure paleo diet would differ in some fundemental ways from Atkins, but I do not think most paleo people conform 100% of the time. Thus, they are quite similar.
  #143   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 08:34

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Note the plan I'm on: Atkins still gets a lion's share of the credit.
  #144   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 08:36
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
"The Paleo diet is looking more and more like The Atkins diet. When the Paleo diet first came out they demonized saturated fat intake and said stay away from it. That has changed with current research. Saturated fat will work well as a fuel as long as carbohydrates are low such that insulin is low."
So why would we want to be on a diet like Atkins, when studies show it only worked for a little while?

"With the Atkins plan most people did the introduction phase but [the difference between the two is] Atkins did not go to the next phases which are adding in fresh vegetable, fruits and nuts."

And that's what McGuirt says is key. While you are keeping up with this high protein diet, he says its important to up the fat!

shrug I dunno...it seems to me that he hits the right points in the bolded words above.

Many of us are like broken records around here repeating the same thing over and over to Atkins followers...move to OWL phase and add in carbs as directed.
As is said over and over, Atkins is not Induction only.
  #145   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 09:16

BF:

I am finding myself gravitating to more Paleo thinking and Paleo reading.... But I am having a hard time on the dairy issue. Also the fruit issue. Why is dairy so bad? Sorry if this is slightly OT.
  #146   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 09:18
Experimenter

BF:

I think the biggest difference between paleo and atkins is dairy products. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be much difference. I'm not sure exactly how people who call themselves "primal" differ from atkins. Maybe more emphasis on whole foods, less bars, shakes or manufactured foods.

Although with paleo, carbs don't have to be restricted, however people generally do in order to lose/control weight.
  #147   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 12:00

BF:

Quote:
I am finding myself gravitating to more Paleo thinking and Paleo reading.... But I am having a hard time on the dairy issue. Also the fruit issue. Why is dairy so bad? Sorry if this is slightly OT.

It is my understanding that dairy is not "bad" per se, but that it does give many people problems. This is why it is suggested that people do a Whole 30 to start where they eliminate all dairy. Basically, humans were pastoral for a long time before they became agricultural and so many people are adapted to dairy just fine. Plus, dairy is similar enough to other animal products that it can be okay for some.

The issue is that many people are having difficulties with dairy and they simply do not realize it. Thus, the paleo diet would recommend that you eliminate for at least 30 days to see where you stand with dairy.

Personally I have no issues with dairy and do just fine on it. But I also NEVER eat any low-fat dairy products and eat fermented dairy whenever possible.

The problem with the Atkins diet is that there really is no mention of the fact that dairy may be a big problem for a lot of people. In fact that Atkins diet does not really touch on how different foods might have different effects on different people.
Like I tolerate dairy just fine but fruit gives me all kinds of GI problems.
  #148   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 13:01
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagsMarie

Well, there's the basic tenet of paleo that is: Eat foods humans have had sufficient time to evolve to eat.

Eating dairy required domesticating animals and that didn't happen until about 10,000 years ago... an eye blink ago in the length of human history.

Yes, many of us have adapted a relative lactose tolerance, but lactose isn't the only problem with dairy. There are other proteins: Caesins and whey. Lots of people have issues with these including exacerbating allergies, asthma, nasal infections, congestion and such. Other problems can include joint/muscle pain, constipation, acne and brain fog. There are other things in dairy that are suspect, like betacelluin, huge amounts of IGF (meant to grow a calf into a very large cow or bull), and so on. Dairy is also quite insulinogenic.

It may be that some people have no issues with dairy or perhaps they're simply not issues that they're aware of. Perhaps on a cellular level they're still issues, hard to say.

Personally, I give up dairy and I feel better. My sinuses are happier and I stop getting cramps in my neck and shoulders. I stop getting little pimples and I might even lose weight.

Here's a thread from Paleohacks.com about the subject: http://paleohacks.com/questions/111...airy-from-paleo
I have a hard time staying away though. I don't treat it quite as rigorously as I do gluten.

I always think it is beneficial to give it a trial run of 30 days or so and see how you feel. Sometimes the improvements are so tiny you don't really notice until you go back to it and then you start to see how it affects you.
  #149   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 13:12

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
shrug As is said over and over, Atkins is not Induction only.

Here! here!
  #150   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 13:21

BF:

I have never in my lifetime thought of myself as having a problem with dairy so I wouldn't even know what to look for if I eliminated it. It's nothing to me. I like cheese, cream in my coffee, things like that.... Meh, I keep saying I won't eat it to see if it jumps me out of my stall, but I don't know if I'm still stalled because I refuse to weigh myself . My sticks are a nice rosy color, I'm under 25-30 max, I'm eating a ton of green veggies, getting my fats, not by any stretch of the imagination overeating.... Nothing with chemicals but diet soda, down to one can a day from one hundred.... I think I'm okay.