Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 15:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/170/130 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry I messed up

Arggggg! After my motivational speech yesterday about sticking with it and remembering how far we all have come thus far, I blew it. I started Atkins a week ago Monday and last night a cute little boy came knocking on my door. I forgot that I had ordered chocolate covered carmel popcorn from the local boy scout. I gave it to my husband and was fine, until late that night. I couldn't resist and blew my whole week of being good. Argg I am so mad at myself.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 16:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

Start over! Next time order some sugar free candy, and if you eat some it will be o.k. I ordered some sugar free mint truffles from a friend for their kids fund raiser. I will keep them in the freezer and only eat one whenever I am having a sweet tooth craving that will not go away!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 18:09

Plan: Modified
Stats: 276/197/155 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

Suck it up soldier! The only way you "messed up" is if you dont go right back to LCing. No one is perfect, two steps forwards.. one back .. go forward again. Now you know what can happen and wont order that sweet stuff anymore. When my friends kids come to me to buy stuff. I just tell them to pick something for themselves and fork over the money. Think of it as a donation to the community. So buck up.. stand back up brush yourself off.. stop feeling sorry for yourself and carry on!

Bren
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 18:26

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shewolf8
I ordered some sugar free mint truffles from a friend for their kids fund raiser.

Yes...and if you're as sensitive to sugar alcohols as I am, it's like instant portion control!

Otherwise...well, I just won't mention the "explosive" results!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 20:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/141/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 36%

I did the same thing the other day and beat my self up about it. But then I got back up on my feet and decided that that was enough and just went back to LC. I took my daughter to the donut shop today and the guy handed me a a blueberry muffin with a lot of butter on top. I told him do you mind giving this to that man over there? He looks hungry. See, I did it! And you can to. I love those muffins there but I told him I cant eat it cause I am really trying hard. I know its hard but just redo it!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 00:50

Plan: Atkins & Protein Power
Stats: 240/193.5/145 Female 5ft 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

I had the same day today. It seems that when sweets are calling your name, it's so easy to give in and say it'll just be this one piece. I started with 2 little corn candies and that spiraled out of control into all kinds of chocolate. I too feel horrible because I feel like I'm spending more time "starting again" than actually being on the diet. Since I'm following Atkins I know how important it is to stay below 20 carbs for the first two weeks and I just figured out today that I haven't been doing that even when I thought I was good.

Here is why: if you rely only on the carb total on the nutritional labels, then you may be deceived because if the total calories do not add up to what's in the protein and fat and carbohydrate areas, than it's likely that the extra calores are in the form of carbohydrates. Ex. If something is 100 total calories per serving, with 6 grams of fat, 8 grams of protein and 1 gram of carbohydrates, there are calories missing somewhere. Fat has 9 calories per gram, so 6X9=54, protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram, so 8X4=32, for a total so far of 86 calories. 1X4(carbs)=4. 86 + 4=90, there are still 10 calories missing and usually those "MISSING" calories are hidden in the carbohydrate count. I was eating almost double the carbs I thought I was eating all along simply because of many of these small hiccups and that could have also added to my carbohydrate cravings because I wasn't in ketosis and I wasn't eating the amount I should have which made me vulnerable to crave these poisonous sweets. I'm starting again tomorrow.....and this time making sure my math is correct. Let me know how you are doing, and don't weigh yourself for at least 48 hours after an "oops". No sense in putting salt on a wound, plus you've probably gained more water weight than anything, since sugar acts like sodium....just absorbs and holds on to water. good luck
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 05:10

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

How can companies get away with this type of deceit? It was my understanding that they could state a product has "0" of something if it is less than 1 (even .99)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug6
I had the same day today. It seems that when sweets are calling your name, it's so easy to give in and say it'll just be this one piece. I started with 2 little corn candies and that spiraled out of control into all kinds of chocolate. I too feel horrible because I feel like I'm spending more time "starting again" than actually being on the diet. Since I'm following Atkins I know how important it is to stay below 20 carbs for the first two weeks and I just figured out today that I haven't been doing that even when I thought I was good.

Here is why: if you rely only on the carb total on the nutritional labels, then you may be deceived because if the total calories do not add up to what's in the protein and fat and carbohydrate areas, than it's likely that the extra calores are in the form of carbohydrates. Ex. If something is 100 total calories per serving, with 6 grams of fat, 8 grams of protein and 1 gram of carbohydrates, there are calories missing somewhere. Fat has 9 calories per gram, so 6X9=54, protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram, so 8X4=32, for a total so far of 86 calories. 1X4(carbs)=4. 86 + 4=90, there are still 10 calories missing and usually those "MISSING" calories are hidden in the carbohydrate count. I was eating almost double the carbs I thought I was eating all along simply because of many of these small hiccups and that could have also added to my carbohydrate cravings because I wasn't in ketosis and I wasn't eating the amount I should have which made me vulnerable to crave these poisonous sweets. I'm starting again tomorrow.....and this time making sure my math is correct. Let me know how you are doing, and don't weigh yourself for at least 48 hours after an "oops". No sense in putting salt on a wound, plus you've probably gained more water weight than anything, since sugar acts like sodium....just absorbs and holds on to water. good luck
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 21:49

Plan: Atkins & Protein Power
Stats: 240/193.5/145 Female 5ft 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 49%
Angry Those low down dirty......

Yes, if something does have .99 grams of carbohydrates, they can state on their nutrition lable "0". Also, some claim that they already subtract the fiber content from the total carb count (to make life easier for us of course), and still others subtract other forms of sugar, such as sugar alcohols, etc. Either way, it doesn't allow you to gage exactly how man carbs and since it's not specifically stated as fiber, I wouldn't underestimate since we can end up underestimating 25 or more grams of carbohydrates per day!! That could be the difference between successful weight-loss and a plateau.

I know that even products that are widely accepted as having 0 grams of carbs will have something (take the example of pork rinds......yes pork rinds!!) lurking in the shadows and it's our jobs to find them and count them because if you have a limit per day, 1 gram here and .5 grams there all count. I've learned this the hard way myself.

Good luck to you