Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 12:56

Plan: My own
Stats: 235/186/135
BF:
Progress: 49%

GEE, THANKS! BECAUSE IT HAS TAKEN AWHILE, AND BECAUSE I TEND TO THINK I SHOULD NEVER HAVE GOTTEN THAT HEAVY IN THE FIRST PLACE (WHY BE NICE TO MYSELF WHEN I CAN WALLOW IN NEGATIVITY) I TEND TO FORGET THAT I HAVE ACTUALLY LOST A GOOD BIT ALSO, IT HAS GOTTEN SLOWER THAN SLOW, WHICH DOESN'T HELP. STILL, WE'RE DOING IT AND THAT IS SO IMPORTANT.

HOORAY FOR US!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE CHEER; WHEN I SAW THAT, I COULD FEEL MY CHEEKS GOING RED
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 06:40

Plan: Atkins/my own
Stats: 240/237/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 3%

You're right. Hooray for us!!! We realized there was a problem and we're doing something about it. We could still be packing on the pounds but we made a decision and we're sticking to it. That takes alot of willpower.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 18:08

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 208/200/160
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hello folks
i'm on the atkins but have been researching pp and it's way too complicated for a dislexic like myself so i just plan to have the max in protien, the min in carbs and keep a little weight for my old age.
i'm 52, and have no desire to get my youth back, just want to age gracefully. having my wrinkles smoothed by a little body fat is more important than being 130 lbs! i prefer to be voluptuous and a little sexy at 52 than pencil thin.
Anyway thats how i work it out.
i'm pretty happy with my life generally speaking and if i don't gain another pound ....... well i can live with that.
i really enjoy the diet and the extreme taste it has over a high carb low fat diet.

happy eating to all!!
jane anne
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 03:38

BF:

Quote:
takes alot of willpower

AND SOMETIMES IT TAKES EVEN MORE WON'TPOWER

I WAS TALKING TO MY MUM THE OTHER DAY, AND MENTIONED HOW LONG IT HAD BEEN SINCE I HAVE HAD ANYTHING CONTAINING SUGAR (ABOUT 6 WEEKS-MOMENTARY LAPSE), AND COULDN'T REMEMBER WHEN MY LAST WHEAT WAS...THAT WAS SCARY FOR SOME REASON. I GUESS THE IDEA OF "NEVER AGAIN" WORRIES ME.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 07:26

BF:

Beth,
I tend to do that sometimes too. Worry about what I "can never have again". But you know what? I really don't think that's true. As long as we realize that that food may be a trigger food, and we don't go into a binge from eating it. Honestly, once you really get into this WOE, that stuff doesn't taste as good. Even if it does, I've noticed that when I do cheat and have alot of sugar, I feel awful the next few days. That's enough to deter me (most of the time)
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 05:46

BF:

I'M A BIT LIKE AN ALCOHOLIC WITH SUGAR AND SUCHLIKE; ONE DAY AT A TIME DOES FOR ME!

STILL, IT WAS THE END OF APRIL THE LAST TIME I HAD ANY SUGAR, SO THAT'S PROBABLY A FIRST!

I USED TO GET REALLY RESENTFUL OF DIETS, AND WOULD FEEL SO DEPRIVED AND ANNOYED THAT I WOULD GO ON BINGES AND EAT ASTONISHING AMOUNTS OF FOOD. THIS WOE IS BETTER FOR THAT. I AM AWARE THAT IT IS MY CHOICE AND I AM DOING THIS BECAUSE I WANT TO AND NEED TO. WHEW!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 06:50

BF:

I feel the same way. I used to do that too. Basically what I do is just eat whatever I want and I won't get on the scales until I am TOTALLY disgusted with myself. By that time, I've gained tons of weight. I'm good at denial.
How is PP going for you? Are you finding it hard to follow? I'm still not feeling 100% comfortable that I know what I'm doing with it. I plan on starting it next week tho. Today is my 12th day on Atkins Induction. I lost 5 lbs. in 3 or 4 days. Then I gained a few because of my time of the month. It took me a few days to take that off. I've lost 6 lbs. so far. I have the feeling I'll stall here because that's been my pattern.
I'm going away this coming weekend and am going to try my best not to cheat.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 13:21

BF:

I FIND ATKINS AND PP REASONABLY INTERCHANGEABLE. WITH PP, I HAVE TO WORRY LESS ABUOT THE CARBS, AS IT ALLOWS MORE. ON ATKINS, AS SOON AS I WENT OFF INDUCTION, I GAINED, BUT FOR SOME REASON, WITH PP, I CAN EAT MORE CARBS AND NOT GAIN . STILL, AS LONG AS IT WORKS, WHO CARES?

HAVING THE CANDIDA IN MY DIGESTIVE SYSTEM MAKES LOSING DIFFICULT. I AM LOSING LIKE A POUND OR TWO A MONTH AFTER THE INITIAL 9 OF INDUCTION (4 OF WHICH WENT RIGHT BACK ON DURING MY T.O.M.). I STARTED ATKINS ON 14TH MARCH, AND I AM 12 POUNDS DOWN FROM THAT. IT IS SLOW, SLOW, SLOW, BUT FOR SOME REASON, IT ISN'T DOING MY HEAD IN. USUALLY, I PANIC AND START BEING STUPID (THE OLD EATING DISORDERD MENTALITY). AS IT IS, I AM DOING PP, AND IF I LOSE A POUND AND KEEP IT OFF ONE WEEK, I AM HAPPY AS IF I HAD GOOD SENSE. I MEAN, EVEN A POUND A WEEK IS 50 POUNDS IN A YEAR. WHEN I LOOK AT IT THAT WAY, EVEN HALF-A-POUND-A-WEEK DOESN'T SOUND BAD. WHO IS THIS TALKING? IT CAN'T BE ME!

AS FOR THE EATING WHILE YOU ARE AWAY, BASICALLY, YOU CAN DO IT IF YOU WANT TO BADLY ENOUGH TO OVERCOME THE "I WANTS". MY MOTHER IS ALWAYS GETTING SIDETRACKED BY CAKE. IT SEEMS SHE ALWAYS HAS A FRIEND'S BIRTHDAY OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. SHE SAID TO ME TODAY THAT SHE "HAD" TO HAVE A BIT OF HER FRIEND'S FATHER'S DAY CAKE YESTERDAY. I SAID, "BULLS**T! IF YOU WANTED IT AND YOU HAD IT, FAIR ENOUGH, BUT DON'T BLAME OTHER PEOPLE." MY MOTHER AND I HAVE THAT KIND OF RELATIONSHIP I JUST HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE DON'T TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS. I BLAME MY UPBRINGING

HAVE A GREAT TIME WHEN YOU GO!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 13:36

BF:

Thanks. I plan on having a good time. I hope that I have the willpower not to cheat, but I know if I do, I'll get right back on it that Monday. (And I won't blame it on anyone but myself!)
Have you read anything or seen anything about the Atkins KISS WOE? I finally was able to find some information on it this morning. I definitely don't think I could follow it for a long period of time because it's REALLY restrictive, but it sounds good for a stall, or possibly for you with your Candida problem.
Let me know if you'd like to check it out and I'll forward you the websites. I found it on an old post somewhere but I don't know if I can find the post again. I bookmarked the websites that had the info.
I admire you for not giving up. Every time I tried Atkins "again", when I totally stalled I eventually gave up. That's part of the reason I wanted to try something different. (PP)
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-02, 13:52

BF:

Oops. I just now read your post in your other thread. I guess you're pretty much doing the KISS on your own. UNprocessed meats and veggies is about all you can eat on it. I can still forward you the sites if you want to take a look, tho.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 03:19

BF:
Default KISS

I LOOKED AT THAT AGES AGO, BUT CAN REMEMBER THINKING AS IT SOUNDED SO DIFFICULT. NOW THAT I AM ON THE ANTI-CANDIDA DIET AS WELL, IT WOULD PROBABLY SEEM LESS SCARY I'D LIKE TO SEE THE LINK, IF YOU HAVE IT, THANKS

WHAT I HAVE SEEN SOME PEOPLE DO, IF THEY ARE IN A NO-WIN SITUATION (EAT IT OR STARVE) IS TO TURN IT INTO A C.A.D. MEAL. DO YOU KNOW C.A.D.? I HAVE BEEN IN THE POSITION OF DOING THAT BEFORE. IF THERE IS REALLY NOTHING "ON PLAN" TO EAT, I EAT WHAT IS THERE, FOR NO MORE THAN AN HOUR, THEN STOP, AND GET RIGHT BACK ON PLAN. ACCORDING TO C.A.D., THAT IS ENOUGH TO KEEP ON LOSING, JUST DOING WHAT IS BASICALLY ATKINS INDUCTION THE OTHER 23 HOURS OF THE DAY.

MY BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH THAT IS REMEMBERING TO TREAT IT AS A "DAMAGE LIMITATIONS" EXERCISE, NOT AN EXCUSE FOR A BLOW-OUT, SO I TEND TO DO MY BEST TO AVOID THOSE SITUATIONS! HAVING M.S. CAN BE HANDY, IN THAT I TELL PEOPLE IT IS MY SPECIAL M.S. DIET (WELL, ONE OF THE THREE I AM ON ), AND THEY DON'T TEND TO TRY AND TEMPT ME.

I DID A LIVER CLEANSE AT THE WEEKEND, AND MY WEIGHT IS DOWN AGAIN. I AM AFRAID TO ADD THE NEW NUMBER TO MY STATS, AS I KNOW IT WILL GO BACK UP. IT ALWAYS DOES OH FOR THE GLORIOUS DAYS WHEN I WOULD LOSE A POUND AND IT WOULD STAY LOST...UNTIL I BLEW OFF THE DIET AND MOVED BACK TO BINGE CITY AGAIN, THAT IS
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 06:47

BF:

I don't know what C.A.D. is, but I keep seeing it referred to in the posts. What does it stand for? Does it "jump start" your losing again, or is it just an option if you have no "plan" food available?
I don't have a clue how to direct you to a post in here, so I'm going to have to tell you where to go find the post that will take you to the KISS instructions. There are alot of good posts in the thread, also.
What I did is get into Atkins, and at the bottom you can do a search. I searched "KISS" and went into the post by missatc called "KISS???". Thre is a post there from Karen, the moderator that has links to "KISS Guidelines" and "Rules of KISS". It shouldn't be scary for you anymore since it sounds like you're pretty much following it anyway.
If you can't find it, let me know and I'll try to find out how to put the links in my post to you.
Let me know what you think.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 11:08

BF:
Default C.A.D.

C.A.D. STANDS FOR THE "CARBOHYDRATE ADDICT'S DIET", BYT RICHARD AND RAECHEL HELLER. IT IS WHAT STARTED ME LOW-CARBING.

THEIR BASIC PREMISE IS THAT IF YOU EAT LOW-CARB FOR THE WHOLE DAY, YOU CAN HAVE A REWARD MEAL ONCE A DAY. IT SHOULD BE NEAR ENOUGH 1/3 PROTEN, 1/3 LOW-CARB VEG/SALAD, AND 1/3 CARBOHYDRATES. THIS "REWARD MEAL" CANNOT LAST MORE THAN AN HOUR, BECAUSE THEN YOUR INSULIN GETS OUT OF WHACK AGAIN AND YOU START CRAVING.

MY PROBLEM WITH C.A.D. WAS THAT THAT HOUR WAS FAR TOO MUCH, YET NOT NEARLY ENOUGH. IT KEPT MY ADDICTIONS TO SUGAR AND STARCHES GOING, AND I HAD A VERY DIFFICULT TIME WITH IT AFTER AWHILE, AND GAVE UP FOR SEVERAL MONTHS, THEN TRIED AGAIN, BUT QUICKLY SWITCHED OVER TO ATKINS, AND NOW PP.

I HAVE BEEN FAR BETTER JUST SHOVING THE WHOLE LOT (STARCHES, SUGARS. ETC.) OUT OF MY LIFE ENTIRELY THAN TRYING TO LIVE WITH IT FOR THAT HOUR. I LIVED FOR THAT HOUR NOW THAT I AVOID IT ALL, I AM ACTUALLY MUCH HAPPIER. I AM VERY ALL OR NOTHING THAT WAY.

I'LL GO INTPO THE ATKINS SECTION AND HAVE A LOOK FOR KISS NOW.

THANKS AGAIN.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-02, 22:00

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

About the orange soda... I had always thought that 1) he meant diet and 2) it doesn't have any caffeine like the vastly more common cola drinks. Who knows if it's true or not, but it's been my operating assumption.

Cheers,

Friday
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 11:56

BF:

Hey Friday, thanks for the input. I just always thought it was strange because when he refers to orange soda, he never says diet...
Beth, did you check out the KISS posts? What did you think?
I'm still doing Atkins. Haven't ventured to PP yet. It seems so complicated and I'm not good at keeping track of what I eat and calculating everything. I tried Fitday but ended up not doing that either. I'm just awful at that type of thing. I always have good intentions but never stick with it. I know my health is important, but I can always find other things to do with my time.
Hope you're feeling well.