Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Plan comparison
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 18:53

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 127/125/113 Female 5 4"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Low carb virgin needs advice

Hi,
This is my first time trying a low carb diet. I waited so long because I didn't think I would be able to give up carbs. I love them so much! I also don't like pork or eggs. I'm not extremely over weight. I just want to loose 10-15 pounds. I'm 125 right now and 5'5". I excercise regularly - I do pilates and cardio, and I'm not "extremely unhealthy" for age 27. My parents are on the south beach diet and have lost weight. Their grocery bills are very expensive and a lot of the menu items seem well... bad tasting. My mom still had cravings while on the diet. I'm afraid I will too. My cravings have always been a problem for me. I am considering the Protien Power diet. I know there are many more out there. Does anyone have any advice? I really am a low carb virgin! Thanks!
Abby
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 09:42

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

Start reading! Protein Power is a wonderful plan (in my opinion!) which allows more carbs than Atkins induction. But the carbs are low enough that after a week or so, you lose the cravings (they don't go away instantly!).

I've hear much about South Beach that I read it too. It is too low fat / low calorie for me (I'm breastfeeding, so I need at LEAST 2200 calories a day).

But you should pick up the books (buy, library, whatever) of 2 or 3 and compare for yourself. The one that you feel in your gut that you can stick with is the one that you should go for!

-- Loretta
(who's back at it again after baby #3)
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 11:09

BF:
Default Thanks!

Loretta,

Wow! Thanks for your advice! I just posted this thing yesterday and I was afraid no one would respond. No wonder everyone is on these support sites! I will definetely look into Protien Power now. I feel more confident about it and I'm excited to get started. I'll keep you updated and I'm sure I will have more questions along the way. If you want to know more about pilates ( a lot of women do pilates to tone up after having babies) let me know, I found a program that really works. Also congradulations on your new baby! That's wonderful!!! Thanks Again!

Abby
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 11:40

BF:
Default Pilates Help!

Actually, that would be WONDERFUL if you could guide me!

Currently, I work out at the gym 3 times a week. Heavy lifting...covering most of the major muscle groups (chest, biceps / back, triceps / legs, shoulders). Then I try to get in some cardio in 3 times a week (that'll be harder once colder weather hits).

But I need to hit the abs. I don't have a plan for that now. mostly 'cause I can't do much at all and its frustrating. It's like I've lost all muscle in the abs!

So I know there's a Pilates abs dvd out there - I rented one a year and a half ago from the library - and it was HARD TO DO!
But I'm willing now. I cannot stand to have the baby sack forever!

So what do you recommend for moms and Pilates?!? :-)

-- Loretta
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 12:20
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi folks -
If you're gonna keep chatting about Pilates, could I beg a favour and ask you to post it up on the Exercise forum? I don't know ANYTHING about Pilates, and I'd love to hear what you have to say about that programme you're using abbygibar.

And welcome to the forum. There's lots of great people here, tons of support on various programmes (and don't be afraid to switch plans from time to time - your body CAN and DOES get used to what you're doing. I oscillate between various strategies. They're all variations on a theme, but they DO vary quite a bit.)

#6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 11:42

BF:
Default On Pilates

The pilates program that I use is Windsor Pilates. You can now find it at Walmart or Target, placs like that. I'm sure you can even order it online somewhere. Because of this program I have not picked up a weight for about 1 1/2 years! WHat is does is it works your core (abs area) and focuses on breathing, elongating muscles, flexibility, and strengthing. I only do this 20 minutes- three times a week. Thats it! It comes with an hour tape but I'v only done it a few times because I get results with the 20 minute one. Whats so awesome is that it helps you to build muscles (like lifting) but doesn't make you bulky. You see the results after the 1st 2 weeks! I'm not going to say that it is easy- its not, BUT- it gets easier and easier every time you do it! They also have a "modified" program that ANYONE can do if some of the movements are too hard for you. This would be great for you LOretta! I love this program because I don't like going to the gym. I can do this when ever, in my own home, with no equipment- not even tennis shoes! It love it in my pajamas! I have found this program to help with my back problems. I used to have continuous back pain. After this program my back has not hurt a single day. In fact, when fail to do my pilates after a couple weeks, I know that I have to get back to it because my back pain will start again. Its a painful reminder to get off of my ass! I a very pleased with this program. You should definately try it! Thanks! I hope this helps You!

Oh yeah, do you guys buy low fat cottage cheese, fat free, 2%, or regular? Or does it matter? I love cottage cheese and wasn't sure which one to include in my diet. (I'm doing Protien Power right now). The fat free one is gross. Thanks guys
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 12:09
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there

Maybe post this up in more detail in the Exercise forum so others can see it, or, better yet, start a gym log!

And the cottage cheese, well, I do a lot of macronutrient cycling, so sometimes I'm on low fat, sometimes on low carb. For the low carb portions, I go high-fat, so it's the full fat one, and fatty it up with some avocado or natty PB. For the low-fat, I do the 1%.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 19:55

BF:
Default Thanks for the info - and cottage cheese

I currently use the full-fat cottage cheese.
When I was doing BodyRX, I was using the low-fat...'cause you're right ... fat-free is NASTY!

And here's a tip. This is my after dinner snack.
Mix in some cinnamon and Splenda, and it's like dessert! :-)

-- Loretta