Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 17:25

Plan: Atkins induction phase
Stats: 380/361/215 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Determined

This is my first post here as a new member and I am really excited (with a little fear of failure mixed in) to begin my low carb WOL. I began low carb 10 days ago and things are going well so far, I think. The reason I decided to get the ball rolling is simple, I'm fat. Fatter than I ever imagined I could become. I have always been on the heavy side, but athletic. In the last four years I have spiraled out of control. My weight has reached a sickening 380#. Five years ago I began a heavy workout routine and lost around 60# and felt great about myself. My wife was more interested in me than she had been in a while, coworkers constantly complimented me on how great I looked and for the first time in a long time I felt great about myself. Then my work schedule changed and a funny thing happened. My intense first thing in the morning workout scessions had to become the first thing I did after work. I tried it for a few weeks but couldn't maintain my routine, so I stopped, completely. Next I had knee problems, which I assume came from all those intense workouts. In two years I had three operations and through gross lack of activity, stress eating, and an overwhelming sense of self pity; I gained tons of weight.
Suddenly my sex life isn't, that's it, it just isn't. I have no energy for playing with the kids. My clothes don't fit and I'm embarrased to shop for new ones. I'm so top heavy that I fell over on the dummy while taking a CPR class and the instructor asked me if I'd like to put the dummy on a table so I wouldn't tip over. She actually asked me that in front of the whole class(that is one of my least favorite moments). My knees hurt along with every other load bearing joint in my body. I have to use a c-pap so my snoreing wont raise the house. And the message to newbies who join this forum is correct, there isn't a sole I can talk with that will understand what I feel so I just don't talk about it. To sum it up, yeppers, I'm a fairly self conscious and self loathing fellow at the moment and it is time to change.

Just before Christmas my wife approached me about doing a diet together. She picked one of those low fat/low cal models, but that's ok. She's the type of person who will be very successful with it. She doesn't have that much to lose and she has stuck to the plan and is losing weight. After trying it for a couple of weeks I had to look for something else. I was constantly hungry and craving sweets. I thought this was funny because I don't really eat sweets. I wanted a low carb from the get-go but tried her plan for the sake of simplicity and ease of shopping one plan for the both of us. I had to make the switch and so I did. The first week has flown by with little or no problems. I am not having any cravings and after about four days in, I haven't been that hungry.

I have a goal. It is something I've thought about for quite some time. Yeah, sure I want to weigh 225 and lose the weight and look good for myself and my family but that isn't my goal. My goal is to ride bikes with my boys. I have three. They are 8, 5, and 10 months. They want me too do things with them that my enormous girth just wont let me do. So I have made my ultimate goal the riding on bicycles with my kids. For some reason that motivates me more than anything else in the world.

The reason I am posting this is to communicate what I am feeling with some folks who might understand it better than the average 180# pizza eating skinny guy who things fat people just don't get it. And to ask what some of your goals are? What got you started? And more importantly, what keeps you going even when you've had all you can take and just want to cheat?

Is this forum a good place for support?

Thanks
Tom
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 17:49

Plan: 90% classic Schwarzbein
Stats: 342/257/165 Female 5'7"
BF:>55%/51%/<30%
Progress: 48%

It's brave to come out and write what you just did. Welcome aboard, Tom. Congratulations on choosing to take back control of your body; I'm sure that doing things with your kids will be great motivation.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 18:28

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

This forum is a FANTASTIC place for support. Where else can you find a group of people who are all in your same boat and all with the same general goals.

Be sure to start a journal. Much of the general socializing around here happens in people's journals.

The one break we supersized people get is that once on a great low carb plan the weight will drop very quickly at first and you'll feel amazing benefits very quickly. You'll feel astonished at how much better you feel just after the first 50 lbs.

Maybe your wife will consider switching to your plan, to support you and make food simpler?

Congratulations for taking the first step.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 19:48

Plan: Low Carb & Sleeved
Stats: 363/217/175 Female 4 ft 11 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

#5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 19:51
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Welcome to the forums! And to the TDC! It's a great place!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 21:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 335/245/200 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Welcome to the group and we can all relate to you and your problems. Please do not hesitate if you have any questions, or when you have success to let us know. A journal is a great place to record your thoughts, feelings, etc. Alot of the members read each other journals for inspiration and guidence. Again good luck on this WOE and have a wonderful journey-I know that this summer you will be able to go on bike rides with your kids.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 10:22

Plan: Low carb/PP
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Welcome Tom to the TDC! This forum is great and every one is very helpful.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 20:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/246/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Welcome! You'll find lots of help and support here to make your weight loss dreams come true! No looking back, only foward. Good job so far on your weight loss!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 20:37

Plan: Maintaining
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5' 7"
BF:I'm/at/GOAL!
Progress: 105%

Hi Tom,

I read your story with tears in my eyes. I don't have that much to lose but I truely understand where you are coming from, that story could have been written by my baby brother. My brother weighed in at 502 pounds, he has been working on it for 3 years and is down to 245 pounds (he's 6'5"). It can be a hard journey and I think your goal is wonderful. Just for encouragement my brother's goal was to lose enough weight so that he could ask his girlfriend to marry him (he wasn't afraid of rejection he just didn't want to marry her when he couldn't take 5 steps and couldn't breathe), and he wanted to be a great father to her children. He is getting married in July and he is going to have the 2 best step daughters in the world. I wish you lots of luck and I know you can succeed!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 21:43

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Hello Tom,

Congratulations on taking the first steps necessary to good health. I just started myself. Keeping it very low carb helps with any hunger pains and the various fabulous recipes that I can't wait to try when I am missing some things or simply want to mix it up. What keeps me motivated is the people on here with their success stories and the various groups that I've joined that help to challenge me. You will find great support and as others have suggested the Journal is a great tool to express yourself and keep yourself on track....

Good luck....
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 23:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Esq
Stats: 525/525/250 Male 76 Inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Tom,
welcome to the big person room or as I like to call it the people with feelings and know how you feel room.

keep up the good work and buy a schwinn

derrick