Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 09:33

Plan: None specially. Under 50g
Stats: 190/186/175 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:
Default Newbie- NEED THINGS TO SNACK ON HELP SOS

For real. I have no idea what to snack on. I'm trying to stay under 50gs a day, and it's hard to find anything to snack on. Half of the things the internet tells me I should snack on I have no way of making or have too many carbs. When you're trying to stay as low as I am 10g of carbs in a snack is NOT LOW at all.

I'm pleading for help lol. I just need some snacks I can get (preferably right off the shelf instead of having to make) and if you're feeling nice some meal ideas too. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 10:16

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Twenty four pages of low carb snack ideas here.

One snack I like is taking an ounce of unsweetened dessicated coconut. I add about an ounce and a half of heavy cream, and a teaspoon of cocoa and one packet of sweetener.

I also like lemon sugar free Jello (it's the one flavour that's entirely sugar free) whipped with heavy cream. Or cocoa and a sweetener with heavy cream. I eat this with pork rinds. Don't knock it until you try it.

Or I'll just ride it out until my next meal. Being in ketosis makes it way easier for me to do this.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 10:34

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

hard boiled eggs are good.

Because I really don't like coming up with ideas for food all the time I like "snack prevention" - eating more fat at meals and then I can skip snacks.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 10:54

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, Brandon. Welcome to the best resource site on the Web. However, it's kind of do-it-yourself. So take some time to click around and you'll discover lists, menus, tips and personal stories that will answer just about every question you have.

It doesn't hurt to read a couple of books on Low-carbohydrate eating. I recommend Gary Taubes's Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It. If you're just a computer guy, click over to DietDoctor.com

As for snacks, two words: Pork Rinds
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 11:25

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I'm a grazer, and often just have a bunch of little things as lunch instead of an entree.

1. Cheese is always a great snack- proportioned ones like baby bel or the little Cracker Barrel sticks can be helpful
2 veggies and dips- whole guacamole 100 calorie packs are perfect with grape tomatoes or bell peppers. I also love baba gnoiush, hummus (if you have the carbs), or creamy dips. Green beans, cucumber slices, broccoli florets, etc..... Are all great dippers
3. Nuts and seeds- I have tons of varietieies at all times- wasabi roasted edamame, Italian pumpkin seeds, dry roasted almonds, Siracha cashews, etc....
4. Seaweed snacks- I'm addicted to the wasabi ones by Annie Chung's
5. Hard boiled eggs
6. Jello or jello mousse as mentioned above
7. Low sugar jerky or pepperoni- I'm partial to vt farms and epic bars
8. Rhythm makes kale chips I love- beware most brands aren't low carb, but rythm is
9. see recipe section for ideas to make crackers out of flaxseed, almond flour, or even just cheese
10. Celery and all natural pb or almond butter. Justin's has great single serve pouch if portion is issue.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 14:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi and welcome.

Is there any reason your carb limit is 50 g per day, and not lower? 50 a day is maintenance for me, not conducive to weight loss. You should consider going lower. The result is ketosis, feeling less hunger, and eliminating the munchies.

Grazing definitely does not work for me. The more I eat, the more I want. Maybe it would work for me if I was an athlete like Robin.

When I have the urge to snack, it's either because
1) I ate a small meal when I probably should have had more,
2) I ate something that triggered cravings, or
3) It's psychological - I'm actually bored, frustrated, anxious, etc.

We can suggest meal ideas if you tell us more about yourself and your lifestyle. Student? Dad? Living urban or rural? Working long hours? Any challenges like allergies or very tight budget?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 19:46

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I don't usually snack but when I'm making a meal I'll eat pickles, sauerkraut and kimchi. On the road I"ll have pork rinds or 1-2 hotdogs with mustard from a roller grill (blech, but it's better than chips I suppose)
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-17, 21:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, IF, VLCHFLC
Stats: 375/270/225 Male 6ft 0in
BF:Nope I'm Straight
Progress: 70%

I average about 15 grams a day and have for the last 5 months. In the first few weeks there was so snacking but as I progressed my snack needs went way down. For me I was able to do cheese. but I don't much anymore. you have to read the lables but some deli meats work. best of luck. and while I catch a little flack for this one I do peanuts. but when I do thats the carbs for the day.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-17, 11:38
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 299/232.8/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Yummy...loved seeing all the ideas!

I love nuts - but am trying to stay away from - until I can know I won't over eat them.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-17, 12:41

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Aw, Kristine- thank you. That is such a nice compliment. But trust me, I'm not talented enough to be an athlete, just too stupid to quit
Btw, didn't you serve your country's military? Hats off!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-17, 14:05

Plan: Atkins 2002 edition
Stats: 229.6/209/138 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Low Carb Sacks

1 oz macadamia nuts
1-2 deviled eggs
Stuffed mushrooms (Safeway has a legal stuffed mushroom) delicious
Leftovers - you can always snack on some cold steak, chicken, or even a shrimp cocktail if you make the cocktail sauce yourself.
Deli meat & cream cheese rolls
Fat bombs - Many recipes on line. This can be a trigger food. Some say they cannot have sweets even ones without sugar because they binge
A milkshake - See Sugar Free Sheila's website. Delicious.
Hard Boiled egg with pickles and cheese
Tuna or chicken salad wrapped in romaine leaves
10 berries with whipped cream or just heavy cream.I don't need it sweet but liquid splenda maybe something your want
Another sugar free Sheila recipes is cream cheese nuked pumpkin puree sprinkled with cinnamon cloves.
Nuke 4 strips of bacon
Homemade jalapeno poppers. Takes about 5 minutes to assemble and it's delicious. I make them often for snacks or dessert
Cream cheese clouds. Look up the low carb sugar free one. These can be addictive so watch out.
Celery sticks dunked very low to no sugar Ranch or Blue cheese dressing
Pork rinds and sour cream
1/2 an avocado with lime juice, salt & pepper
Hummus (read those labels) or guacamole with celery sticks or Kale chips or pork rinds

Look up recipe for low carb danish. Takes minutes to make and they are very good.
Mix some cream cheese, sour cream, unsweetened cocoa and let sit in fridge. Takes like a little cheesecake. You can also use orange extract, fresh lemon juice and mix in slivered almonds and/or unsweetened coconut.
Marinated artichoke hearts are a great snack
Pepperoni (check those labels) with shredded mozzarella on top and microwave until bubbly.

Stay away from low carb or atkins bars, shakes, frozen meals, etc. These were not approved by Atkins himself and not the clean way of eating we are supposed to do. They also stall most people. They are frankenfoods [/COLOR]

Last edited by FatKat1976 : Fri, Feb-10-17 at 14:08. Reason: font mistake