Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-16, 17:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/256/160 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:
Default Calorie counting past has me doubtin....

Today is the first day of my second week on induction and though it has been easier than I thought it would be, I am left with an uneasy feeling. I had previously lost a lot of weight calorie counting but after gaining most of it back, I can't seem to make myself do that again. I have read the Atkins book and I am sticking to the acceptable food list and not straying but out of habit, the calorie counts start popping in my head and I start panicking a little. On average I eat around 1400 calories (not intentional that is just what it ends up at) But today I am at a whoppin' 1850! I have been sooooo hungry today for some reason and though I know No Calorie Counting is kind of stressed, Ican't help but worry that 1850 can't be good. Should I try and keep the cals a little lower?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-16, 22:12

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

See other post, I replied to that one too. Your lucky day I guess haha, not

Most here would recommend if you are keeping the carbs low, like induction levels, and you are really still hungry, EAT MORE, until you are not. You may find the next day you are not so hungry. If you find you are not so hungry, DON'T EAT.

The real trick for me was trying to figure out if I was really hungry or not. Most of the time if I pause and ask myself that question the answer is honestly, "Not really". And plenty of times when I answer that I still eat anyway out of habit or because it's enjoyable or it's time to eat or what ever. No big deal as I'm in no hurry to loose weight. It just seems to come of by itself if relax, stay on plan (no gps) and let the body do what it naturally wants to do; be healthy.

take this for what it's worth, just some guy on the internet blabbing. your milage may vary but I wouldn't sweat eating >2000 calories of good food that you are eating
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-16, 05:30

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I also answered your other post with a link to a good explanation of why CICO does not work and you should not worry about some high calorie days.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/obesity-...artment-problem
And another, Obesity is a Hormonal problem, not one of energy balance.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/the-calorie-debacle

Dr Westman's advice is Eat when Hungry, Stop when Full. Your body is still adjusting to burning your own body fat for fuel, after a few weeks your cravings for carbs should lessen and you better recognize true hunger. For now, ignore the calories and eat when hungry.

Dr Fung's book The Obesity Code is excellent, but should you not have time for that book or Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes then the articles by Dr Fung on this website or some of his talks, are very helpful. You can sign up for a free trial month for the extra member content, easy to cancel after the month.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Nov-29-16 at 05:48.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-16, 06:37
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just try to remember Dr Atkins' advice to eat until you are satisfied, not stuffed. And try (I know it's not easy) to forget those silly calories, just count the carbs. And 1850 ain't "whoppin'", it sounds about right to me. I think 1400 would be a touch too low for you.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-16, 07:20

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Just adding my voice to the chorus. Don't worry about calories. If this change in how you are eating is going to be sustainable you need to feel satisfied with how much you are eating. Feeling hungry all the time will derail you. It's what derails most of the low fat calorie counting dieters. I frequently eat 2000 calories a day, sometimes more. I know this because I track my food but I don't adjust for calories, just carbs.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-16, 11:46

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

NOT counting calories has been my toughest struggle over years--decades--of low-carb eating. It is also my biggest FREEDOM. It takes a long time--years, I'd say--to groove your swing with an LC lifestyle. When you get there, it's a great relief to stop counting--stop counting anything--and just...eat. Like a normal person. A normal LC person!

Best wishes.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-16, 18:42
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 182/176/176 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Don't worry about calories - it's better to count nutrients.

Of course, you shouldn't really do that either but they're much more important than total calories.