Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-26-16, 12:19

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteN
If I need an afternoon snack I do an Atkins Snake bar and then dinner a protein and veg.

Love the typo! Atkins products are snakes-in-the-grass (or diet). I got suckered in by them when I first went low carb.

I don't understand why you need a between-meal snack. I "needed" one when I was eating too many carbs, but not now. According to Dr. Bernstein, you need at least 4 hours between meals to allow your BG to go down. I'm pretty sure that's true for non-diabetics, also.

I go about 5 hours without food between breakfast & lunch, then usually 18 hours before the next breakfast. Sometimes I eat a snack if I'm hungrier than usual in the evening. Last night I was & had a can of sardines with mayo.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-26-16, 13:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Absolute, 22% BF is the absolute (heh heh) lowest you can go, as a female, and not be in the unhealthy range.

If yours is currently 36% (which, even if the doctor used calipers all over your body, may not be accurate; there is NO 100% accurate way of measuring body fat) you do need to lose fat and build muscle. But, as you are at an very acceptable BMI, even staying at your same weight, getting more exercise, but not going nuts, and staying with zero cheats on a LCHF way of eating can lower your body fat significantly, as it's truly the only way of eating that allows you to use, on a consistent basis, your body fat as fuel.

So, stay the same weight, lose BF, you are gaining muscle.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your age? The reason I ask is that, as we age, our healthy levels of body fat increase. At my age, 65, I'm already at an acceptable level, at over 30%. I want to get down to 25. But if I level off at anything under 30%, I'll be happy.

From what I've read, the normal and healthy range for all ages combined is between 24-31%. Below that is female body builder range.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, May-27-16, 09:00

Plan: Atkins/Keto
Stats: 140/138.8/118 Female 66"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Love the typo! Atkins products are snakes-in-the-grass (or diet). I got suckered in by them when I first went low carb.

I don't understand why you need a between-meal snack. I "needed" one when I was eating too many carbs, but not now. According to Dr. Bernstein, you need at least 4 hours between meals to allow your BG to go down. I'm pretty sure that's true for non-diabetics, also.

I go about 5 hours without food between breakfast & lunch, then usually 18 hours before the next breakfast. Sometimes I eat a snack if I'm hungrier than usual in the evening. Last night I was & had a can of sardines with mayo.

Hahahahah Sorry need to read before I post.

I did Dr. Bernstein for 8 months dropped all the weight down to my goal weight. When done maintained for about a year then it 15lbs decided to attach itself back on. Dr. B is definitely not LCHF in anyway - it is low calorie period no fat. It works but 800 cals a day is not enough when you are a busy person.

I can go at least 6 hours without eating I usually only eat when I'm hungry that being said I think you have to eat to loose to take the weight off and not starve yourself to take the weight off.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, May-27-16, 09:04

Plan: Atkins/Keto
Stats: 140/138.8/118 Female 66"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Absolute, 22% BF is the absolute (heh heh) lowest you can go, as a female, and not be in the unhealthy range.

If yours is currently 36% (which, even if the doctor used calipers all over your body, may not be accurate; there is NO 100% accurate way of measuring body fat) you do need to lose fat and build muscle. But, as you are at an very acceptable BMI, even staying at your same weight, getting more exercise, but not going nuts, and staying with zero cheats on a LCHF way of eating can lower your body fat significantly, as it's truly the only way of eating that allows you to use, on a consistent basis, your body fat as fuel.

So, stay the same weight, lose BF, you are gaining muscle.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your age? The reason I ask is that, as we age, our healthy levels of body fat increase. At my age, 65, I'm already at an acceptable level, at over 30%. I want to get down to 25. But if I level off at anything under 30%, I'll be happy.

From what I've read, the normal and healthy range for all ages combined is between 24-31%. Below that is female body builder range.

I get exactly what you are saying. I am 59. I needed to do more reading. I think my lowest BF was 28% but that was 10 years ago. I really would like to get under 30% that's when I know I feel my best. Just have to keep working at it
  #20   ^
Old Fri, May-27-16, 09:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteN
Dr. B is definitely not LCHF in anyway - it is low calorie period no fat. It works but 800 cals a day is not enough when you are a busy person.

You must have misread his advice - he doesn't advise no fat, not even low fat. Nor does he advise 800 calories a day. Below is a quote from his book that I found on-line: http://www.diabetes-book.com/protein-fat/

Quote:
The Big Fat Lie

Call it the Big Fat Lie. Fat has, through no real fault of its own, become the great demon of the American dietary scene...The current low-fat mania in our culture has spawned an increase in sugar intake. All a candy or cookie has needed is the label “fat free” to send its sales through the roof. The fallacy that eating fat will make you fat is about as scientifically logical as saying that eating tomatoes will turn you red.

...In an unbiased, clearheaded, and award-winning article in the respected journal Science of March 30, 2001, the science writer Gary Taubes explores what he calls “The Soft Science of Dietary Fat.” (The full text of this article is available at www.diabetes-book.com.) Taubes cites the failure of the antifat crusade to improve the health of Americans: Since the early 1970s, for instance, Americans’ average fat intake has dropped from over 40% of total calories to 34%; average serum cholesterol levels have dropped as well. . . .
  #21   ^
Old Fri, May-27-16, 10:10

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

There is a Dr Stanley Bernstein in Canada who runs weight loss clinics. He sometimes gets confused with Dr Richard Bernstein who wrote "The Diabetes Solution". Very different people and very different plans.

Jean
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-27-16, 12:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
There is a Dr Stanley Bernstein in Canada who runs weight loss clinics.

Never heard of him. I guess AbsoluteN knew about him, but not the "real" Dr. B.

I just took a look at the wiki article on S. Bernstein; good thing one of his sons is a lawyer.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-27-16, 14:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Holy cow. That guy does need a lawyer.

Absolute, "our" Dr Bernstein is in his 80's, and has outlived by about 40 years his life expectancy, when he was dx'ed with T1 diabetes as a child.

He's followed a LCHF plan his entire life. And there are plenty of people who are T1D, and the parents of kids with it, who worship the ground he walks on, because of the improvement in health from following his WOE.