Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-13, 09:57

Plan: Wheat Belly
Stats: 245/232/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Frankly it's far too *hot* out now for me to park far in the parking lot, or do any outside walking. Two 10-15 minute walks with my dog, morning and late afternoon, just about does me in. But the layout of my house is such that you can walk around in a circle from the living room to the den to the kitchen, to the dining ell, and back to the living room again. And my house has central air! So lately I've been setting a timer and then just walking around the house in a circular motion until the timer goes off. It does get my dog very excited. My biggest issue is that I have one very bad knee. But I'm tryiing to get ready for a week at Disney World with my son, DiL and 2 grandkids next month.

I have thought about trying that walking inside my house too! I might just do that. I have a bad knee too. Hope you enjoy your trip to Disney World! My husband and I are also planning a trip there in October of next year to celebrate our 27th Anniversary and my Weight Loss. Hopefully Ill be quite a few pounds lighter by then.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-13, 11:00

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Too hot might make you sweat, and that's a good thing
Iexcept if it's so hot you overheat. when it's cold, no problem. that's why public safety says not to exercise when it's too hot out. I had the police pull me out of a parade once for overheating (red face). It's an individual thing and if someone tells me it's too hot for them, I listen.

Last edited by Seejay : Thu, Aug-22-13 at 11:54.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-13, 11:50

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

You can freeze to death in the winter too. Common sense always should be used.

When I worked for the telephone company in Miami Florida, the people who lived in their 69 degree air conditioned houses would get overheated immediately. I lived without AC and could climb poles all day. When you get acclimated to the AC, it seems hotter outside. Set your thermostat to 80 and it won't be so bad out doors.

Of course, everybody is different, and even when acclimated, some people will get heat exhaustion or heat stroke before others. Keep hydrated, learn the early warning signs, and heed them.

Start slowly and build up to it. Once your circulatory system is in shape, you can endure a lot more. But if you decide to go out walking once in a great while, your body will not be equipped to handle it.

Bob
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-13, 12:40

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Also women after menopause are more vulnerable. At least until heat-regulating systems figure out the new normal.

me, I only exert where I can immediately cool down. Inside in AC sounds great.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-13, 07:21

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Too hot might make you sweat, and that's a good thing.

I don't know your situation, but people existed billions of years without air conditioning in climates including the Sahara Desert.

Go for a walk, sweat, clean out your pores, and take a nice refreshing shower.

That is unless there is some medical reason why you cannot.

Bob

Sweat is a good thing, yes, it is our body's preferred way of cooling down. Evaporative cooling (AKA sweating) works great in a dry climate like the Sahara Desert, and is not nearly as effective in a hot muggy climate like Florida. Merpig has the right idea taking advantage of being inside in the air conditioning where evaporative cooling can actually take place.

As always, there are many ways to skin a cat and we all should look for the way that works best for us. It sounds as if Bob has found a way that works for him and Merpig has found a way that works for her climate and situation.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-13, 12:29

BF:

Yes, there is more than one right way to do anything. And moving is better than being sedentary. I do a half hour on an elliptical trainer in the hot Florida climate 3 to 5 days a week (depending on my work load). I don't know how fast or far I'm walking, but the meter says I'm burning between 420 and 480 calories in that half hour. But I usually wait until the evening hours.

For casual walking, any time of the day. I like a nice open weave hat to cool my bald head and loose fitting clothes though.

I see people hard at work in the hot Florida sun every day. I worked as a telephone man for a few years. Once your body gets used to it, it's not a problem. I suppose just about anybody in good health could get used to it if they wanted.

The thing we have to realize is whether we walk in the mall or walk on the beach (one of my favorites) or walk down your street or walk in a park, is that we are being responsible for our own health.

If we sit in a chair all day and make no attempt to exercise, we have to take responsibility for any health problems that it may cause us down the road.

The doctors cannot really undo most of what we do to ourselves.

Bob
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-13, 12:44

BF:

Quote:

The thing we have to realize is whether we walk in the mall or walk on the beach (one of my favorites) or walk down your street or walk in a park, is that we are being responsible for our own health.

If we sit in a chair all day and make no attempt to exercise, we have to take responsibility for any health problems that it may cause us down the road.

The doctors cannot really undo most of what we do to ourselves.

Bob

Bob, I so agree, you just said a mouthful there! If we each take responsibility and ownership for how we got here in the first place then I think that shows a lot about how motivated we are to continue this race. (Pardon the pun) For me its been all about not only realizing I had a problem but realizing and taking ownership that it was MY own fault that I had gotten to where I am today and only I can do something to change that. Best of luck everyone!
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-13, 16:32

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
I don't know your situation, but people existed billions of years without air conditioning in climates including the Sahara Desert.
Of course they did, and I lived for over 50 years without air conditioning. But I never liked it and I never got used to the heat. I'd rather go for a nice brisk walk when it's zero degrees out than when it's 80+ out.

I always used to laugh when I would read that people lost weight in the summer because they were more active, and then gained it in the winter. For me it was always the opposite. When the weather got cold that's when I would perk up, get more active, lose weight, be outdoors. I love going for long walks on the beach, but only from, say, the end of September to the middle of May. You could not PAY me to go to a beach in the summer time. If the temps are above, say 75, no way can you get me there. Unless maybe it's a blustery stormy sort of day with no sunshine.

But a wild January day where it's down in the 20s or 30s or 40s, that's the kind of day I love to go for LONG LONG walks on the beach. Lots of people and critters hole up and hibernate in the wintertime. Me, I estivate. Well, except for the 4-6 weeks that I go up to Canada in the mid-summer, .

I'm glad that I least, at long last, I have central air, which enables me to get some exercise right here in my own home. Otherwise, unless I could find a pool where I could swim laps, I never did anything in the summer - beyond the obligatory walking of the dog. Good luck everyone to finding what works for you.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-13, 09:37

BF:

Isn't it funny how we are all different. I get chilled under 70.

When I was young, I went to the beach every chance I could get. I don't do it so much anymore, but I still enjoy it when I do. There are just so many other things I'm doing now, and I like them all.

I turn on the Air Conditioner for a few hours per day a few days of the year. Usually in August. The AC repairman told me that if I don't, it will freeze up. Since a freeze up is the reason he came out for, I believe him. (I tried to turn it on for some guests and it didn't cooperate).

But the good thing for many of us is that the USA is a very big country, with a variety of climates. If you like it cold there is Alaska, Michigan's U.P., Montana and others. If you like it hot there is the south. If you like it in the middle, we have a big middle too.

What I find curious are the people who come from the North to retire in Florida, and then do nothing but complain about the heat. I always wonder why they chose Florida to retire if they don't like it hot.

But that's off topic.

Some people like to walk, some like to swim, some like to dance, some go to the gym, and some sit on their bottoms all day. Perhaps the worse is to be either extremely sedentary, or extremely the opposite. I think the human body needs both.

My parents both died too soon of obesity-sedentary related diseases. Everybody in my family is extremely overweight but me. I saw the demise of my parents as a future possibility for me, and decided that I had to figure out a way to avoid that.

I like life. It's the bird in the hand and I want to be here and healthy for as long as I can. After a number of other attempts, I found low-carb and that works for me (50 pounds down - 13 years and counting).

I also found that without exercise, my endurance was poor, and when I wanted to do something like take a long walk, I'd tire too easily (heart rate and respiration way up).

So I figured I had better take some action about that, as this could lead to an early heart problem.

I don't like going to the gym. I'm not a social exerciser. I run two businesses and I started this before cell phones, so I wanted to be near the home/office to hear the phone ring. So I bought a manual treadmill. I though about an electric, but figured I needed to do the work, not the machine.

Fast forward: I wore out three manual treadmills. Actually wore grooves under the belt so deep that they started to snag the belt. Then I wore out an elliptical and I'm on my second one.

That's my choice. I walk for a half hour, watch my pulse (I like to get it in the high 140s or low 150s - I'm 67 years young), I'm on my screened porch breathing real air, I have bird feeders, and I live near a nature preserve so I often get wildlife to watch, and at the end of the half hour, I've burned between 420 and 480 calories. My heart no longer beats hard when I exert myself, the new nurse at my doctor's thought I was in my late 40s or early 50s (made my day) and all my blood work is in the OK zone.

We all have our health challenges, and it's best if we accept them and take responsibility for doing what we can to stay healthy - with an eye to the long term health. Because if you aren't healthy, nothing else matters.

Bob
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-13, 12:13

BF:

Quote:

What I find curious are the people who come from the North to retire in Florida, and then do nothing but complain about the heat. I always wonder why they chose Florida to retire if they don't like it hot.

Bob

My husband and I have considered relocating to Florida many times. I just could never bring myself to, having grown up in the Mid West, when its holiday time I like the cold and the chance of Snow. I just do not think I could live where its warm at Christmas Time. It automatically brings to mind thoughts of Snow and Hot Chocolate and a Fireplace which would be out in a warm climate. But that is just me.

Although the Florida climate may be ideal for outdoor exercise.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 22:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I am obese and 69 years old. My daughter said to me last month, Mom, you don't want to be this size when you are 70. So I joined a gym. I am very sedentary and I now wear a fitbit. Without any extra effort, I am lucky to get to 1,000-1,200 steps a day, but at the gym, I ride the recumbent bike and have built up my time on it and also my rpms. I've gone from an average of 70 rpms to 78 and I now ride it for about 45 minutes. My steps have gone up to 8,000 - 9,000 but I really work for that. I still get out of breath, but I stop every now and then and take a little rest. Maybe some day I will try the elliptical, but my doctor told me not to use the treadmill because it's hard on the knees and I already have a knee replacement.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-13, 13:58

BF:

I thought I was going to need a hip replacement. First I discovered the Arthritis/Bursitis diet, and then I discovered PEMFT (Pulsed ElectroMagnetic Field Therapy) www.pemft.info

The diet got rid of most of the pain, and the PEMFT device the rest. The PEMFT device paid for itself since I am no longer taking SAMe, MSM and a number of other joint relief pills.

If anyone is interested in the diet, let me know since it is slightly off topic for this thread, I'm keeping it short.

Bob
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-13, 12:48
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

I found that now that I'm wearing a pedomiter I tend to get up and even move more around the house.
Some don't work well because they count everything; even in a car ride it would rack up numbers. I bought one online by Omron and it lets you look back 7 days.
If my health issues flair up, I will go around the park with him. Then sit a lap out, then walk with him, then sit a lap out.
We found a few places to walk outside where we can do that. I got sick this summer and had a foot injury so I'm starting over in the past few weeks. Hope that helps