Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 00:59
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 397/364/154 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Are Nitrates/fillers The Cause Of My Serious Weight Stall !!!!!!!

[FONT=courier new][SIZE=3][COLOR=deeppink][I][B]
HEY YOU ALL,
IM ROCH AND IM STILL PRETTY NEW TO THIS FORUM, BUT I AM JUST FINDING MY WAY THROUGH THE MAZE OF INFORMATION TO DO WITH LOWCARBING, I JUST WONDERED HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE BEEN IN A STALL A BAD STALL AND CUT OUT NITRATES/ FILLERS LIKE SAUSAGES AND FRANKFURTERS AND OTHER PROCESSED FOODS AND IT HAS MADE A DIFFERENCE AND GOT YOU OUT OF A STALL, I KNOW DR ATKINS SAYS NO FILLERS, BUT WHY DO THEY MAKE YOU STALL.
FROM TODAY ONWARDS I AM GOING TO CUT OUT FILLERS OR NITRATES OR PROCESSED FOODS,I AM TRYING TO BE SO GOOD, I DONT DRINK NOTHING BUT WATER, AND STICK TO 20 GRM OF CARBS, ARE 99 PERCENT BEEFBURGERS OK, THE ONLY OTHER INGREDIENT ARE SALT AND PEPPER, THEY ARE 0 CARBS, WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR OPPINIONS,ADVICE AND EXPERIENCES, THANKS, BE GOOD, ROCH.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 11:29

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 360/313.6/150 Female 66.5"
BF:yes, of course
Progress: 22%

In the chapter for rules of indution in New Diet Revolution, Dr. Atkins says only to "Try to avoid meat and fish products cured with nitrates, which are known carcinogens." I think when it comes to hot dogs, sausages, etc., Dr. Atkins is more concerned with the risk of developing cancer from eating too many of them. If you think they are causing your stall, why not try giving them up for a week or so to see if it helps end the stall? It's worth a try. If it's not the nitrates, then you can try taking away other foods until you find out what it is that's making you stall. It could be the opposite, too, though. Maybe you aren't getting enough of something- water, carbs (are you eating enough fiber rich foods?), fats, supplements?

Katie
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 11:35

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Watch out for the hotdogs, sausages and other processed meats as they contain not only the nitrates/nitrites, but also they usually have LOADS of sodium. That can contribute to stalls if you are not taking in extra water to balance out the effects of sodium.

I used to eat kosher, all-beef hotdogs for lunch when I started, but the sodium was just too much. Now they're just an occasional treat.

HTH-
Nikki
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 12:48

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hi.....I think every body is different and its all a matter of trial and error.....try giving them up for a week and see if it makes any difference to your weight loss....there are many suspected foods that will cause stalls...so you may need to experiment to find which one it is for you...I am on a serious stall and still have not found the culprit...but I keep trying!