Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 11:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 324/253/150
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Who has to lose 100 or more pounds?

Me, too. I also just had a baby 22 years ago. I am on the verge of breaking back into the 2's and really looking forward to it. I have been looking at profiles for folks that are in this for the long haul 'cause I am too.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 11:45

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Dizz. You have probably worked this out for yourself already, but one useful tactic on a long haul is to look only to the next week or the next 2 or 3 pounds weight-loss. If you focus at the end result of the high double or treble figure target it can seem unattainable. If you aim at small and attainable targets each time, the overall picture takes care of itself. Hope you don't think I'm trying to interfere, but if you have only just embarked on a long haul, you might need one or two practical tips and a bit of encouragement.

Best wishes.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 12:03

BF:
Default Who has to lose 100 or more pounds?

Gosh, I'm just happy for any and all help I can get. My goal is losing weight and lowering my BP. My short term goal is 4 lbs which will get me in the 2's. Thanks for the reply
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 15:32
Registered Member

Stats: //145
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up new triple digit member

Ok. so here I am.. in ALL my glory... the newest member of the triple digit club. I cant even imagine losing all the weight I need to (150 lbs) so I am taking it l0 lbs at a time. If my goal is any higher than that, I will blow it.

Wish me luck

Judy
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 15:46

BF:

I wish you both luck. All milestones can become goals attainable in the foreseeable future. For us men, getting the belt to do up on the next notch down is always a thrill and a major landmark. Other landmarks turn up as you start to find that your current clothes become loose and baggy (what joy!) and you find you can finally get on a pair of trousers you haven't been able to wear for months or even years! But it has to be one small step at a time. On that regime you will get there.

Sincere best wishes to you both.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 09:13

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts
Stats: 347/300/150
BF:
Progress: 24%

I too am aiming to lose over one hundred pounds. My Mother and I began our low carb WOL 3 weeks ago. We have noticed an increase in our energy levels. I am experiencing fewer headaches and our blood pressure is now in the normal range. We couldn't be more pleased with the results. I have lost 12.5 lbs since we began. I can't wait to reach my goal of fitting into a size 12! Thanks for all the support and motivation!

Lucinda
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 11:01

Stats: 292/271/160
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default new triple digit member

Hi y'all,

I am so glad to find you. I was hoping for a group of people to share mutual encouragement and support. I figure, if I were to find myself on the height/weight charts, I need to get rid of 140 pounds. I'm now at 280 and started the Atkins plan yesterday. Yesterday went fairly well ... I'm in the induction phase ... and I really wasn't hungry, yet I craved the things I couldn't have ... oh, I wanted some pretzels, so bad.

Today I realize I will really have to plan ahead to make this work .. to find lots of variety and to cook, cook, cook. I really like to cook ... but rarely have all the ingredients in the house ... and I hate grocery shopping. :-(

I think I'll stick to it this time ... I have very strong motivations. A few weeks ago I took a mission/study trip to Guatemala. It was a great trip. But for a couple of days we lived with the people of a Mayan village in the mountains outside of Coban. I was not able to hike to the upper village and had to stay behind. It was a motivator for me -- I really wanted to be able to hike up there. I was one of the younger members of the group (I'm 40) and was put to shame by some of the older members. I did lose 8 pounds on the trip :-) So I was pushing 290 a few weeks ago.

I am healthy, just out of shape. I was recently diagnosed with hashimoto's syndrome (thyroid) and once I was on the medicine for that I was much more energetic and motivated to take my health seriously.

Thanks again for starting this forum ... I want the support of other dieters ... but I think our reasons for dieting and our many of our challenges are unique.
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-01, 17:19

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi all, first time here...what an incredible thread.

Just wanted to say, I'm 5'2 also and 154 lbs to date. I do believe those who said they are 5'2 and would be happy at 150 lbs will find themselves thinking twice when they get there.

At this size your not skin and bones, your still oh..what do they say...chunky?

Just wanted to share
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-01, 19:41

BF:

I am 5' and 150 sounds wonderful but too far in the future to even think about right now. However, closer than it was a month ago.

Along with the diet I have am doing water aerobics. Is anyone else doing water aerobics? Does it really help? Is it as good as "real" exercise?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-01, 20:41
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 313/271/200
BF:
Progress: 37%
Wink Hello Dizz!!

I love water aerobics....I am in a wheelchair and when I get in the water....I feel "normal" ...sort of free. I find that the water walking and exercising that I do is very helpful. It helps me keep motivated to move like that and the Dr. says it is very good for the heart. I like to crank up the music and just go for it. I have increased my time in the pool too by getting books on tape(especially books on LCWoeing and diabetes) and playing them while exercising. The past two days of rain has prevented my swim and I truly miss it. So I hope that helps....take care and happy paddling...Nancy
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-01, 23:23

BF:

My suggested water aerobics because I cannot walk distances because of painful knees. I just don't want to put all my energy into water aerobics if it is not as effective as doing other exercises.

I walk 70 laps around the pool which is around 1 1/2 miles. I haven't noticed getting out of breath or heart beating any faster to show that I am "really getting a workout" but should it?

Guess I need to make an appt and talk to dr about what I should expect to receive from an aerobic workout.

I never thought about a radio that should really keep things moving.

Anyway, thanks for sharing with me. Liz
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-01, 04:43

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Actually Diz, I have heard water exercising is wonderful. While doing this in the water its not as painful and with the water pressure when moving arms and legs around, its suppose to give you a good work out.

I would think any exercise would be beneficial
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-01, 07:28
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Smile water exercise

hi everybody,

Water exercises are great! I have fibromyalgia, and for a few years, that's the only thing I could do that didn't cause horrid flare-ups. The water supports the joints, yet provides adequate resistance to work the muscles. And easy to work aerobically too .. you can really get the heart rate up, and keep it up.

There are some other strength and resistance exercises you can do too ... use 2 gallon-size plastic jugs (empty, but tightly capped) and push and pull them through the water in all directions ...gives a great upper body workout.

The one drawback is that because the water supports your bones and joints, you don't get the weight-bearing benefits that you would on land ... Weight-bearing exercise increases the absorption of calcium into bones, espcecially hips and knees.

Doreen
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 06:51

Stats: 305/295/140
BF:
Progress:
Default 100+

hello everyone. have been reading the posts for a couple of days and decided to chime in. i have around 150 pounds to lose and just started LC a week ago yesterday. i have lost 9 pounds. felt pretty sluggish the first few days and sick to my stomach but pretty good now. i was never a big meat (beef) eater before and so have been sticking pretty much to chicken and fish. try to add salads and veggies as much as i can while watching my carbs carefully. i appreciate all the good advice i have found here. take care.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 10:37

BF:

Sounds like you've made an excellent start. Remember to try and focus on the next small step, and not on the big picture, and you'll get there.