Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 09:01

Plan: Medical Weight Loss Center
Stats: 238/220/175 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Medical Weight Loss Clinic program?

Hi, Anyone tried this program with any success? I joined a couple of weeks ago and the first thing they did was put me on a lo-carb "cleansing" routine. All the beef and raw green veggies I wanted for three days. Lost about 8 lbs. in 3 days (water weight). Started their "regular" program after that and haven't lost a pound since...I'm exercising (45 min per day on treadmill)...drinking 112 oz. of water a day and eating their recommended foods but I just can't bring myself to buy any more of their "nutrients". They EXPENSIVE at $15 per box of 7 (enough to last one week) and they want you to have a minimum of 3 per day ($45 per week). (This is after paying a one-time payment of$490 for the "program"). The "nutrients" are foul tasting chalky shakes and gross puddings and some yukky tasting bars...I haven't got the stomach for that junk (never had any success anyway with shakes, bars or powders...I'd rather have "real" food than that artificial junk)...At any rate I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with these people and how it went. I'd love to hear from you if your experience was good or bad...they don't let you talk to any of the other "members" when you come in for your weigh-in's...they kinda rush you into a side "room" to meet with a "counselor" and out you go...no group meetings or anything.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 19:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Soslosue,

Can I just remind you of our forum rules?

We cannot discuss clinic type plans here.

You may find support for your plan elsewhere, such as www.3fatchicks.com or www.diettalk.com

If you would like to stay here, how about switching to a published plan? Have a look at "Which low carb plan is right for me?" at the right side of the screen.

All the best!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 21:14

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Dear Soslo.........

Oh my dear.........don't walk away RUN!!! I am 47 and in my lifetime I have belonged to numerous "weight loss clinics". They rob you blind. There are postings in the earlier part of my journal where myself and other members discussed the many diets, clinics, etc. etc. we had used to try to lose weight.....we ended up broker and fatter........... Please please study up on low-carb and save your metabolism and your money.....Please let me know if I can be supportive to you in any way. Orchid
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 07:52

BF:
Default Plan discussions - oops...

Hi Rosebud and Orchid...sorry I didn't realize I made a faux pax...won't do that again. My apologies. Orchid I studied Atkin's books and followed the program for 6 months prior to trying this "program" that I'm on now...and I actually didn't lose any weight...at first I lost 5 lbs. then never another to follow...although I didn't gain...I didn't lose. For me I think Atkin's might be a good "maintenance" program since all my life I've either been dieting down or eating up..never anyway to "hold the line". I'm new to the forum and I'm not sure how to contact you outside of the forum or to read your "journal"...when I clicked on "journal" I saw some more posting??? Can you help? Thank you both for responding...I appreciate all the support, interest, comments, etc. that I can get.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 09:21

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Good morning Soslo!

It does take awhile to learn how to navigate around the forum! When you click on the journal button it puts you in that person's journal and it seems confusing because you see posts that others have made there. I just scroll upwards from the bottom and read the posts. At the top, it also has the page numbers so that you can go back further. Having a journal is a great tool because it allows you to visit people that you might have something in common with and helps stay in touch outside of the regular posts. My journal helps me a lot! You might consider one if you decide on this way of eating (WOE). I get great advice and encouragement there and have made some great friends.

It could be that ATkin's is not something that will work for you. It is rare, but sometimes people's bodies don't respond to it. I just hate to see you spend money on the clinic. If you try low-carbing again, a journal might help you spot some things you could change in order to start losing. Best of luck to you - Orchid
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 09:22

Stats: 163.2/156.6/143.3
BF:
Progress: 33%

Soslosue,

I am certainly the last person to give "proven" advice on anything but I am sure you can achieve weight loss without going to a so called "clinic" (i almost wrote so cold....go figure)
You might just need some support with your Atkins, if that is the route you would like to try again....
Why don't you try and establish what went wrong when you were on it.....
Was there specific days when things did/did not change?
Did you stall (not lose weight) and kept eating the same portions/foods/combinations/etc/.....
Sometimes it is about what you eat, sometimes it is about how you eat... Different persons have different responses to specific diets of course, and using htis forum, you are bound to find someone with similar "symptoms" (trying to be the doctor that I am not :-) ) to yours.

I hope you decide what to do very soon and ... keep your money....... to buy a book and surf the forum... much cheaper, for sure, and a lot of friendly people.
It's true!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 09:32

BF:
Smile

Hi eva123...thanks so much for writing...it helps to know that there "is" hope. Unfortunately it's too late...I've already spent the money and there are no refunds. I will keep going for the weighing and emotional support...it "does" seem to help keep me on track during the tough times to know that I have to actually face a "professional" who will be looking at the scale and writing it down and doing their best to "coach" me thru this process. I have already told them that I am not spending another cent on powders or bars and they've written that down too. And they've given me another "plan" to follow with more protein. Perhaps for me it's achieving the correct balance of proteins and other foods. I have noted that this program is quite low on carbs - not as low as Atkin's but very low. I "do" plan on going back on a modified version of Atkin's when/if I reach my goal since I'm a firm believer now that sugar does not have to be part of my life. Hopefully I'll find a "plan" that works for me personally...this "clinic" deal isn't going to last long...only 21 weeks altogether and after that they will allow me to come in for free weigh in's to help stay on track...This is the most success I've seen in a long while having lost about 8 lbs in two weeks. I never got past 5 on Atkin's so I'm thinking I was eating too many calories each day for my slow metabolism to deal with. Thanks again for your advice and words of wisdom...any and all others are greatly appreciated!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 14:51

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 135.5/133/120 Female 5.0
BF:
Progress:
Angry Soslosue - I feel for you

I really feel for you. I too have tried every diet under the sun. Sometimes they work amazingly, and sometimes nuthin' Right now I am on the Zone and have not lost an ounce. Before that I was on weight watchers and gained weight -but had lost upwards of 25 pounds on it. I am thinking of getting my thyroid checked. Just remember to keep your trials in the proper perspective - many people around the world would love to have our problem. Keep being a good and loving person, and keep researching and daring to try! Good luck!
Leafpeeper
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 05:45

BF:

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement leafpeper! To date I have lost 11 pounds!!!! For me that is an INCREDIBLE SUCCESS!!! I haven't lost this much weight on any program that I've tried to follow in years (after WW, that would be Somersizing and Atkin's). I guess I just have to face the fact that my metabolism will not support the amount of calories that those two plans allow each day...I think I'm getting about 1400 calories a day, over 100 ounces of water, drinking my 2 cups of caffiene black (a big change for me - used to always have it with cream and sweet n low) and I spend 45 minutes a day on my treadmill - walking - not running - but I feel great! Even 11 pounds has made a huge difference in how I feel. I'm getting ready to go on vacation (Mexico) for two weeks so I'm hoping I can at least maintain this loss - plan to do lots of walking and drink a lot of water...don't know how I'll control the calorie intake except to focus on portion sizes since I do not eat anything uncooked in Mexico due to the water issues they have there (we are not staying at a fancy resort with it's own water purification system) so we will have to be careful. Thanks again! I'll be watching this forum when I get back to see how others are doing...good luck to you on whatever program you choose and hope it works for you...it's certainly an "individual" thing isn't it!