Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 11:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Anti-thyroid things and their implications for people without thryoid glands

I was just curious about things like fluoride and goitergenic foods. Do they make the thyroid you take unusable or does it just affect the thryoid gland? I was curious because if it's affecting the gland, then it probably doesn't apply to me since I most likely don't have one that functions.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 11:56

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Goitrogens largely effect the production of thyroid hormones by the thyroid, Nancy. They interfere with your body's ability to use iodine, which is crutial for thyroid hormones. Consuming goitrogens would still negatively impact iodine levels, so if you're not getting enough iodine it would be an issue. And yes, to a lesser extent goitrogens do lower the levels of circulating T3 and T4 even though they were originally exogenous. Goitrogens seem to interfere with the serum binding proteins that attach themselves to T4. W/o these proteins the T4 cannot move around, specifically to the liver where it becomes T3.

With respect to fluoride, the issue isn't just thyroid, it's general health. Fluoride ions in teas can bind with aluminum to create aluminum fluoride, which is then absorbed by the body. In the body, the aluminum eventually combines with oxygen to form aluminum oxide or alumina which is the compound of aluminum that is found in the brains of Alzheimer's disease. When alumina binds with proteins it can pass through the blood / brain barrier.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 12:14
Experimenter

BF:

I remember there was some debate a few years back whether or not Alzheimer's happens because of the aluminum or whether its a failure of the body in getting rid of it.

The reason I ask about fluoride is because it is found in tea. As far as I know there aren't any associations with drinking tea and Alzheimer's. But my concern was more about how it interacts with exogenous (woot! new word for me) thyroid.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 16:46

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Apparently, fluoride does have a negative effect on thyroid hormone functioning even in those w/o the actual gland. the thing in Nat's post about affecting iodine absorption still matters even though the hormones are exogamous - er - exogenous. It would be a less serious effect than for those with the gland, however. Also, herbal teas have the lowest fluoride content, so try some herbals made with bottled/filtered/distilled or some other version of no-fluoride water and see how you feel.

Cheers,

Friday
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 16:59
Experimenter

BF:

I was actually wanting to drink Green Tea, which I think the tea leaf itself was the source of flouride, if I read that correctly.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 18:12

BF:

The fluoride in tea doesn't occur naturally in the plant. It's introduced through the water used to grow the plant and then concentrated when the leaves are dried. The problem is that nobody tells you on the package how the tea is grown and even organic doesn't mean 'no fluoride'.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 06:53

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Friday, I was under the impression the fluoride in the tea was found in the leaves as a result of environmental and soil pollution. Using fluoridated water makes it worse, but the fluoride is already there to begin with.

There's info on Mercola's site about this:

http://www.mercola.com/2000/sep/10/...ide_thyroid.htm

Tea is very high in fluoride content. Fluoride in tea is much higher than the Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) set for fluoride in drinking water.

Tea leaves accumulate more fluoride (from pollution of soil and air) than any other edible plant (1,2,3). Fluoride content in tea has risen dramatically over the last 20 years, as has tea consumption (4).

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 08:36
Experimenter

BF:

Hmmm... I wonder if green tea will grow for me. We have low flouride in our water in San Diego.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 14:11

Plan: none
Stats: 105/105/120 Female 5ft2inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I was curious about flouride too...so thanks for asking the question. Ever since my thyroid was destroyed I can't seem to tolerate toothpaste with flouride. It kinda burns my mouth and the corners of my mouth turn red. I'm not sure if flouride from toothpaste can affect thyroid function but I doubt that thats what I'm experiencing...more likely some weird allergic reation.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 14:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrushka
Friday, I was under the impression the fluoride in the tea was found in the leaves as a result of environmental and soil pollution. Using fluoridated water makes it worse, but the fluoride is already there to begin with.

Nat

Ahh, but still not a natually occuring part of the plant? So if one could grow it in pristine conditions, it might be ok?

Sunshine - you can get non-fluoridated toothpasts. Tom's of Maine is one brand. Health food stores, Whole Foods, lazy acres and Trader Joe's will also carry it.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 14:50

Plan: none
Stats: 105/105/120 Female 5ft2inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Friday, I do use Tom's of Maine but occasionally I'm in a situation where I dont have my own and have to use flouride toothpaste. Just wondering if the reaction had anything to do with Thyroid because it only started when I went Hypo.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 14:57
Experimenter

BF:

Interesting, I've heard of people reacting to the Laurate (there's another word in there) in toothpaste too. I don't seem to have any reaction.

I'm wondering though if toothpaste is that much of a worry, since you don't swallow it?

Flouride is a mineral isn't it? It's found in water in some areas naturally. Maybe tea is commonly grown in environments with high flouride in the soil and water?

So many questions!

Hmm... interesting
http://www.livejournal.com/~saurik/...html?mode=reply