Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 14:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Anyone ever have sore eye muscles?

I don't know if this is related to hypoT or not but my eye muscles hurt! When I move my eyes to the far left or right they hurt. I think I've had this before but it was when I was coming down with a flu or something.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 14:25

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Interesting, Nancy. Right when I started my meds I caught a nasty cold and for the first time in years my right eye started to twitch uncontrollably. I thought it had something to do with the meds, but it turned out it was the cold. It lasted the first two days of the illness then disappeared.

I querried a bunch of other hypoT's and found out it's not uncommon to have sore eyes, twitching eyes, etc in relation to a) needing an increase in meds or b) being sick (which might necessitate an increase in meds because of the metabolic drain on your system).

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 15:03
Experimenter

BF:

I knew sore or weak muscles were a symptom and I've got a bunch of them, the eyes just started a day or so ago. I keep thinking I'm getting sick because that's the only time I've had this pain before.

With the twitching, do you mean a jumping nerve in the eyelid? I've actually had times when I was extremely tired and it seemed like my eyeballs themselves were twitching because my vision jiggled around ever so slightly. Very unnerving thing.

*sigh* wish my Healthcheck.com blood test papers would hurry up and get delivered so I can up my dose, after I get tested.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 16:15
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

I've had both the twitchy eye and the sore eyes when moving them around. Another thing that happened to me is that my vision would get all shakey. I didn't know that was a hypoT symptom until I read Thyroid Power.

Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 16:35

Plan: none
Stats: 105/105/120 Female 5ft2inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Nancy,

I've had eye muscle problems on and off since being diagnosed with Graves. Now that I'm hypo its not so bad. When Hyper it was difficult to look off to the side (I would have to turn my head) and also to look up. This is pretty typical of Graves though. Now I only have problems due to the fluid surrounding my eyes. The more Hypo I am the more fluid I retain. On good days (small amount of fluid) my eyes are totally normal.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 17:18

BF:

Eye troubles and being Hyper seem to be more common than hypot and eye troubles, fwiw.

Nancy, yes, I meant the twitching of the nerves around the eye, mine was the lower eyelid and itwas freaky because I could see it happening - especially when I stared off into the distance, which is basically how I spent my existance last summer. I was extremely tired when this happened; combo of the hypt, the cold coming on and just being really sick of being sick.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 20:58
Experimenter

BF:

I think I might actually be sick, I just took my temperature and it's almost 98.5 which is a raging fever for me. And I feel a little achy. I don't have any cold symptoms or anything though.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 07:00

BF:

If you don't become 'sick' I'm thinking this might be because of the new way you're taking your hormones, Nancy. I noticed the twitching when I first started the meds, I did get sick at that time as well; so I'm not sure what the cause was. However, your increased temp might be a sign that you're actually absorbing more of your T4. A few days should prove out which it is. I hope it's the latter and not the former!

N
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 11:18
Experimenter

BF:

The eye muscles seem a bit better today and I actually am feeling over all a little less poopy than I did the last couple of days. Maybe switching my meds back to bedtime was a good thing.

I really haven't even tried to take the levoxyl under the tongue since the first two times I tried that. I don't think it'll dissolve, it'll just end up getting swept down my throat eventually one way or another.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 11:18

BF:

Nancy, it's possible that the bit that is disolving is making a difference.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 21:38
Registered Member

Plan: psmf
Stats: 180/159/129 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

AHA! I knew something was wrong with my eyes! They have been sore forever but I havent complained to anyone because I thought it sounded crazy.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-12-05, 12:18
Experimenter

BF:

Interesting, Admo! Mine feel fine now. That soreness corressponded with the worst of my energy levels too. I felt so lethargic when I had that soreness in the my eye muscle, couldn't concentrate for crap.

I'm thinking that switching my meds around to bed time (again) might be helping. Other changes I did included eating some carby veggies every day to stay out of ketosis.