Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 21:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 274/267/170 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Unhappy Slinking away in shame - I blew it with wine

Drank 3 large glasses of chablis tonight. I guess I'm not ready to take this seriously yet. Though even an hour after the wine, ketostix were at the "small" level. Hope I can recover.

Sorry to disappoint everyone - I feel like such a failure, again.

Gail
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 22:18

Plan: southbeach
Stats: 185/170/130 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8termom
Drank 3 large glasses of chablis tonight. I guess I'm not ready to take this seriously yet. Though even an hour after the wine, ketostix were at the "small" level. Hope I can recover.

Sorry to disappoint everyone - I feel like such a failure, again.

Gail

No shame.....it happens to the best of us. I too broke down with wine last night...my husband's birthday and I just lost self control....wine was on the table.....
It's OK just go back to the diet tomorrow.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 04:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 215/195/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Use this as a learning experience -- was there something that triggered this? How can you avoid that in the future?

It's not easy quitting something cold turkey. It's very, very hard. Look all over this board -- lots of people have cheated on their diet or fallen off the wagon completely, only to get back on and reach their goal.

You're not trying to duck responsibility ("Oh, but my neighbor Bob brought over a bottle of wine because his duck won the national beauty contest and I had to be polite so it's not really a cheat.") This is A Good Thing. Just take the lesson from this, try to find ways to avoid that situation next time, and dust off and keep going. We're all here for you. You can do this!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 05:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

It sounds like you really need help with the alcohol before you try to tackle weight issues. If you absolutely cannot stay away from alcohol, try AA! It sounds like you are trying really hard and beating yourself to a pulp over this. Maybe getting some real help for the alcohol problem would be a good place to start. I wish you all the luck in the world!

Orchid
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 06:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 208/179/170 Male 67 inches
BF:a whole bunch
Progress: 76%

this may not be the forum for u, if u have such a problem

maybe an AA forum would be much better and give u the proper support u need
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 06:51
Registered Member

Stats: 215/207/175 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 20%

I dont think your saying your are an achohlic. YOu just had a few glasses of wine. I know I have cheated, and I just started so dont worry about it. Give it another try today.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 07:24
Resident Drunk

Plan: Atkins mostly :)
Stats: 215/202/170 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Gail, I dont thinnk caving in one night is such a bad thing. I mean, take it in perspective -

You were drinking wine every night for how long? Now this week. you went 4 nights wine free. Then on the 5th you had a few glasses.

Well, you know, that sure as hell sounds like an improvemnet to me.

How bout you take last night as a freebee and jsut make it another 4 nights before the next one. Step it out.

Dont pound yourself about it. Lots of us have been there. Meself included!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 08:27

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

DO NOT GIVE UP. You can lose weight and you can choose when and how much alcohol you consume. A slip is not the end. Don't use a couple of glasses of wine as an excuse to start eating a bunch of junk. Just get back on track and go forward.

Suggestion: Do not have alcohol in your house and avoid places to buy it. Use your determination to lose weight and feel better as motivation to NOT buy it.

You can do this.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 19:39

Stats: 274/267/170 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Thanks everyone - pulling myself together for another try

I was good for 4 days - that has to mean something... I'm continuing on induction tomorrow morning. I CAN DO THIS!!!!!

Thanks again,

Gail
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 23:08
blah

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/225.2/199 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi Gail

I'm going to throw in my 2 cents. I love wine. I look at it this way...I have to give up sugar, flour and all kinds of other stuff so that's it dammit the wine is staying. I have one glass of so usually per week. Two evenings ago I had a couple large glasses of wine myself....I am trying to make the Low Carb thing away of life..that means for me be able to have a couple glasses of wine now and again.....I certainly don't think I need to check out AA because of it. I am one of those people who doesn't want to say never. I don't want to say that I will never have a glass of wine or a piece of chocolate. I want to be able to say that "yes I can have one.....because I am in control".

My advice just get back up on the horse and ride again....jeesh don't get all flustered cause of some wine..."LIFE HAPPENS"

Denine
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 23:26

Plan: Atkins Ind. + exercise
Stats: 209.0/200.6/155 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hi! Sk8ter, I saw this thread and have to respond. Don't let the wine be the reason you quit. While in college my friends and I were out at the local bars two to three nights a week. I don't get out anywhere near that often now but when the chance arises my DH and I go to a local honky tonk and rough it up a bit. I also love wine and was having it quite often before a started LC. There are other alcohols that have zero carbs (Yippee!) and I really do try to stay LC when we are out. Wine is NOT that bad in terms of carb count. A 5 oz glass of most dry reds is only about 5 g, whites are more or less depending on sweetness.
...And *drum roll please* there are wineries making and selling low carb wines now. I have tried 1.6 Chardonnay (yes that is the name) and 1.9 Merlot. To Die For!!! and as the name suggests a five oz glass will have 1.6 and 1.9 net grams of carbs.
Good luck, and please feel free to drop into my journal any time to rant! Then look in the mirror and visualize seeing yourself as the person you WANT to be and strive to become that. You CAN do it! We are all here to help you.
Katie
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 23:40

Stats: 185/180/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:

I don't think a few glasses of wine qualifies you as an alcoholic- just keep going, you can do this- everyone cheats sometime...just get back up and start again, babysteps right?