Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 06:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/237.7/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Non Refrigerated Snack Idea?

This week, I'll be heading to Vermont for a couple days of golf. What typically happens is that we go to breakfast in morning (no LC issue for me since I love love love omelets!!). Then we hit the golf course, the 1st day, around 10 am and golf through to about 2-2:30 pm. Then do whatever until we hit a restaurant around 4:30-5pm.

So you see my problem. No restaurant lunch in the middle of the day and I clearly cannot go from 7 am or so to 5 pm with having no food. Easy to do before LC since I'd either bring a small turkey sandwich, or a couple granola bars, an apple, bag of grapes, etc.

I thought of hard-boiled eggs, but the lodge we are staying at overnight doesn't have a fridge. I could probably keep enough ice going to keep them cool. Space in the car is prime since there are 4 of us going with 4 sets of clubs and overnight bags. Or I'd just pack a cooler. I also thought of jerky, but then there is always sugars in that (at least the ones I've had). I'm sure I'll have to deviate a bit at dinner since it was I who personally set up this little overnight excursion so we could go to this great restaurant! So I want that dinner to be my only issue and stay 100% all the rest of the 2 days.

It doesn't look like the temps will be tooooooooooo high, but the eggs would have to sit in my golfbag for at least a few hours before being eaten.

Any other great ideas??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 07:27

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
I clearly cannot go from 7 am or so to 5 pm with having no food.

You may surprise yourself if you try

If your plan allows you might try almonds - measure our or buy a portion that seems right for you. Some plans don't include them. I find them handy now but over eating them is easy to do. They will do fine in the heat of a golf bag.

Have fun!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 18:54

Plan: LCHF / IF
Stats: 333/113/138 Female 5'6"
BF:BMI 56/18/22
Progress: 113%

How about a container of nice salad with mayonnaise or salad dressing kept in a little jar on the side along with some cheesesticks or Kraft processed cheese - nothing there is from the refrigerated section
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 19:49
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Macadamia nuts or just try to fast thru it, that's what I do. The hunger fades and is replaced by an energy boost.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 20:13

BF:

Thanks for the ideas. I'm not sure about the fasting. Well, I could do it, no doubt about it. Since starting LC I've cut out all snacks. But my metabolism is next to stopped already. Won't fasting slow it down even more? I've always read that the way to boost your metabolism is to keep it working away processing healthy foods? Eat a greater number of tiny meals throughout the day rather than skipping meals.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 20:24

BF:

Quote:
Eat a greater number of tiny meals throughout the day rather than skipping meals.

Prepare for some feedback on this!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 20:56
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

They have pouches and cans of meat and fish; they are low carb and don't require refrigeration. You can also get packets, tubes, or a small bottle of mayo. You'd just need a protein snack with some fat to carry you to dinner.

Macadamia Nuts have a nice fat/protein ratio.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 23:27

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

oh yes! A package of tuna fish and a package of mayo and mustard? Don't forget a container and a form! Yum! I think I'll go make it right now!
But really, I don't buy the grazing idea anymore. But remember that we are different! WWFY? (what works for you!!!)
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 05:18

Plan: hybrid-Atkins/S. Beach
Stats: 206/198/170 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 22%

Not everyone likes to use them, but this may be a good situation for Atkins shakes or a protein bar. Also you can buy individual packs of salami or pepperoni that don't need refrigeration. I like the tuna pouches too. You can also buy preportioned packs of olives and pickles, and nuts like mentioned above.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 06:24

BF:

Thud - that sounded ominous. LOL Did I open a can of worms? Since Atkins, I have not had an mid-morning or mid-afternoon snacks (I do truly miss my apple tho--fruit in general too).

Mama & Zuleikaa - thanks for the tuna tip. I hadn't thought of that.

Trying the Atkin shake today at the course and if edible, I'll take one to 2 to Vermont (1 each day) and grab some macadamias just in case it is not edible. LOL
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 08:26
Registered Member

Stats: 286.8/257.7/190 Female 70 inches  (5'10")
BF:
Progress: 30%

"I also thought of jerky, but then there is always sugars in that (at least the ones I've had). I'm sure I'll have to deviate a bit at dinner since it was I who personally set up this little overnight excursion so we could go to this great restaurant! So I want that dinner to be my only issue and stay 100% all the rest of the 2 days.

It doesn't look like the temps will be tooooooooooo high, but the eggs would have to sit in my golfbag for at least a few hours before being eaten."

Eggs would make me nervous after a couple of hours!
I don't eat it often because of its relatively high price but Troyer brand beef jerky has by far less sugar/carbs than any other brand I've ever found, and it also happens to be the most delicious. They carry it at a gas station in a small town near me but you can also order it online. I keep it around for this very purpose. You do need to refrigerate it after opening, especially if you buy a large bag, but you can keep it in a tupperware of zip loc unrefrigerated for several hours.

I don't know what phase you're on but if you're going to do nuts, I'd choose macadamia, as I *think* they are the lowest in carbs and highest in fat, so you won't have to eat as many to feel full.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 12:19

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Your metabolism might increase for a while after a meal. But there's a difference between the metabolism increasing because your body's busy doing the work of converting food into you and your metabolism increasing and giving you more energy for exercise or work. Eat a thanksgiving dinner, and scientists might be able to measure the "thermal effect of food" increasing your energy expenditure. Meanwhile, you're in a food coma on the couch.

I think this is something where your subjective experience counts very much. Lots of people skip the odd meal or two and find that they have more energy, not less. But if you feel better eating something for lunch, go for it.

If you go with the tuna salad, I like spooning stuff like that onto pork rinds.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 14:58

BF:

Thanks for the tips and information. I am going to grab some macadamias. Today at golf I had an Atkins shake. Edible. Certainly wouldn't want to use those often, but for this purpose, it might work. Had supper without feeling famished.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 20:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suemi
Had supper without feeling famished.

Awesome! What did you shoot? I'll bet that as you lean out your stroke will get longer and smoother. You may have to adjust your game as you may hit longer. I'm no golfer but I think Mike D is, at least he has a picture of him swinging a club
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 18:34

BF:

Well, I was doing great (for me) on the front 9.......43. I had dreams of breaking 90. And well, you know how dreaming goes.......as soon as the thought enters your brain, you blow it! So after managing 3 stupid 7's in a row (three putted a hole, sent a drive into the woods on the next hole and chunked a chip on the next hole TWICE), I stopped counting and just enjoyed the nice weather. LOL GOLF - a four-letter word for sure! So aggravating yet so much fun.

Hoping for a longer, leaner swing; but mostly, I want to get back to walking the course. Haven't been able to do that for a number of years. Started off with back issues, then back surgery; then once I was back in action, I twisted foot in a hole on the course that was hidden by tall grass. THAT took longer to heal/mend that the back surgery!!! Well, after a few years of riding the course, I am now out of shape. DUH. So, here's to walking more as the weight reduces.