Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 14:59
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%
Default Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group #7

Okay we've probably come close to being kicked out of our Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group #6 Home.

So I decided to start our new thread before they actually kicked us out!

Let me unpack the boxes of important stuff and then we can start posting like the posting maniacs we are!

Gotta love all the conversations! I know I do!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 15:00
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Exclamation Important Atkin '72 Stuff!

Almost Everything You need to know about A' 72 if you don't own the book!

Original Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution (1972) page 132

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...920&postcount=2

Biologically Zero Carbs
Diet Revolution 1972 pg 102
Quote:
"...Where you start the diet, of course, is with a daily intake of zero grams of carbohydrate. Although we allow salad on the diet from the start, and lettuce has carbohydrate in it, the amount it contains is so minute as to be biologically the equivalent of zero."
A Tablespoonful Of Potato Salad Can Slow You Down!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...921&postcount=3

Dr. Atkins on "Weight Problem? = Stay On Plan For Life"

Diet Revolution 1972 pg 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauletteB1
A good quote from Dr. Atkins:

“...as long as you look upon being off your (low-carbohydrate) diet as part of your future plans, you will never solve your weight problem. This can only happen when you accept the reality that if you have a weight problem, you must stay on a diet for life.”

We must always keep this tidbit in mind. To remain thin - we must stick with our chosen WOE beyond our goals "for LIFE to Infinity & Beyond!" [Just Jo]

Posted by Paulette on 30 July 2015
Dr. Atkins on Calories:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...922&postcount=4

Dr. Atkins on Alcohol from his A '72 book pg 147:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...924&postcount=5

Sugar Alcohols (My research)

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...925&postcount=6

Dr. Atkins on Maintenance:
Diet Revolution 1972 pg 286
Quote:
From the book:

Q. Once I get the weight off and am a normal person again, why can't I maintain this normal weight by merely eating normally?

A. Because you only look normal; inside your body is the same metabolic abnormality that made you overweight in the first place. This, by the way, is one of the key points of the whole book.

pg 261:

The main change that has to be made is in your head. Success in maintaining your trim figure and your zest for living is guaranteed if you can achieve this radical change in your thinking.

If you have a chronic weight problem it is essential to totally accept, fully understand that your fat is one symptom of a lifetime disease. Your metabolizing processes are and always will tend to be abnormal. Yes, even if you get slim and stay slim.

Many medical studies have shown that the biochemical responses of a formerly overweight person, such as the excessive insulin release when carbohydrates are eaten, are still quite different from a never-overweight person. In other words, you cannot eat what normal people eat and expect to stay thin.

So say this to yourself over and over until you've got it through your rebellious head: "My tendency to overweight is one sign of a chronic metabolic disorder. My physiology doesn't handle certain kinds of food as slim physiologies do. I mustn't try to compare my eating habits to those of a person who has never had a weight problem. Not now. Not ever. I have an illness, a lifelong illness. I can't cure it, but I can control it."

Basic to controlling it is the understand that it is a permanent condition...about which you can do a great deal. Controlling isn't all that difficult. Thousands of successfully slimmed patients are evidence of that.

Posted by Paulette on 31 July 2015

Last edited by Just Jo : Sun, Dec-27-15 at 10:39.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 15:03
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Arrow Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Threads from 17 November 2014 - 12 September 2015

Past Hard Core Atkins ‘ 72 Induction Threads!

(The first Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group thread is no longer available!)

Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group part deux (17 Nov 2014 to 22 Feb 2015)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...84&page=1&pp=15

Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group #3 (22 Feb 2015 to 29 March 2015)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...22&page=1&pp=15

Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group #4 (29 March 2015 to 23 May 2015)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...78&page=1&pp=15

Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group #5 (23 May 2015 to 21 July 2015)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...07&page=1&pp=15

Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group #6 (21 July 2015 to 12 Sept 2015)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...95&page=1&pp=15

Last edited by Just Jo : Mon, Oct-05-15 at 03:47. Reason: Option U: Update information
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 15:14
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHunt
To JustJo: Well, I'll be. It is a small world. Alamorgodo. Wonders never cease.

I don't think they had a school on base when we were stationed there in the early-to-mid 70s. Kids were bussed into town. Patty and I both worked at the base hospital and lived in town in a nice little house at the end of the circle on Moor Place, off of Lover's Lane, south of Indian Wells Blvd. and just east of the NM School for the Blind off of White Sands Blvd. We loved it there. And, of course, we were married in what used to be a city park that ran between Oregon and Washington Avenues. At the north end of the park, there was a large pond with a small island in the middle of it with a foot bridge over the water to get to it. We were married on the island by the base chaplain. We still have a friend who lives there and she says that the park is now all developed with tennis courts, swimming pools, an elementary school and the public library, among other things.
I really don't know when the Middle School started on base. But it was Holloman Jr. High then it switched... I don't think you'd recognize Alamogordo, it really has changed. You'll have to come out for a visit!
Quote:
I was also a Air Force brat growing up. We lived all over the US and in Spain for three years. We traveled throughout Europe, England and North Africa while my dad was stationed in southern Spain. It was a great experience for me growing up and exposed myself to how other people in the world lived and made me aware of how lucky I was to live in the US of A.
We were stationed in Seville for 3 years when I was in elementary school. My uncle and his family was stationed in Madrid. We'd drive to Madrid and go to France to visit our family every holiday possible! It was fabulous! I've lived in Germany (17 years some with dad & some with the ex), Italy, Belgium, France and England.

IMHO, Americans don't really appreciate what we have here in the good ole US of A until you live in another country for awhile!
Quote:
My wife, Patty, just took a couple of dozen eggs to her aunt in the big city yesterday. Our hens lay way more eggs than we can consume ourselves. Her aunt told her that eggs in the store were running $7 for 18 eggs, so you're getting a real bargain at $3 a doz. And you don't have to mess with the chickens! Of course, we have chickens because we live on a farm. Goes with the territory.
I know I'm getting a fantastic deal at $3 a dozen!!
Quote:
And as far as your post about the conspiracy theory, I don't think you are far off. Most times, politics, corporate interests, lobbyists and powers to be larger than us little guys on the streets, are what drives agendas in the government. I seriously believe that nowadays, government exists to create problems for the country and population so they can justify their existence but coming up with more laws, regulations and rules for all of the rest of us to follow. "Hello. I'm from the government and I am here to help."
Don't get me started on the WHO (World Health Organization) and the push to feed everyone grain!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 15:37
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Of course, no change in weight for me. I am starting to believe I will never lose again. It has been 4 months and I am still the same general weight. And I must confess that I am truly becoming frustrated and disillusioned with it all. This does not mean that I am going to give up. I need to follow this WOE because of my diabetes. But I am beginning to think that I need to change things up a little.

Since May 7th, I have lost 1 lb. I measely lb in 4 months. If this pace keeps up It will take me about 17 years to reach goal. So I am basically just maintaining my weight at this point. I should accept that fact and move on, not trying to focus on losing anything more. I have lost well over 100 lbs so far, and I am very happy with that. If I never lose another lb, I will still be better off than I was 2 years ago. If I eventually lose another lb, then Happy Days! But the fact remains that I am at a complete stand still and something needs to change...

I am seriously considering adding cottage cheese into my diet and seeing if the lactose effects my blood sugars negatively. I need something different in my diet. I am becoming completely bored with what I have available to me. Dr. Atkins did suggest cottage cheese as the first step out of induction. I may try it and see if it makes ANY difference at all to my complete lack of progress right now. If my blood sugars go up, I will stop it. If not, I may continue to eat it.

I don't know when and if I am brave enough to do this, but something has got to change around here with me. I am so frustrated and depressed that it is necessary to do this and free my mind. I am feeling like I am locked in a cage. I need to free my mind from the constant mindset of LOSE, LOSE, LOSE. And if I am merely maintaining my weight right now, I may as well do it with a little more variety.
I am so sad and sorry that you have not lost much weight in 4 months, maybe it really is time for you to change things up a bit!
Quote:
So I don't know if I am going to feel comfortable on this site for much longer. I don't want to screw with anyone's mojo here. But I have reached a breaking point today.
Please, Please DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT leave US! I don't think you'll mess with our mojo!

We NEED to know what you're going to try and how it works out for YOU.

You are one of the ORIGINAL WARRIORS, you can NOT abandon us now cause we NEED you!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 15:39
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamoney
Had a nice surprise on the scales though, down to 294.6, my lowest weight yet, and this after going up 2 lbs for my first gain this week. You just never can tell what your body is going to do or what the scales will read.
Huge Congrats on your newest NEW low! You've GOT THIS!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 15:42
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades65
JO:
YES I am thrilled to know I now have jeans I can wear that do not look like cinched up gunny sacks on me. I wear dresses a lot but I just can not see me out there shoveling and plowing snow in a dress. LOL
That's awesome and I agree NO snow shovelin' or plowin' in a dress!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 17:31

Plan: Atkins '72 low carbs
Stats: 303/233/203 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default New Thread

My weight this morning was up the pound I lost yesterday, so I know it was all water and not real fat loss. Weight is still at 272. Not going backwards is a plus. What do you gals call it? NSV?

I got my walk in this morning early and then Patty and I "worked" some of our cattle through the squeeze chute for vaccinations and insect spray. Took about 2 hours from start to finish. We spent a lot of time and money building out our cattle pens, crowding pens, alleyways, sweep tub and squeeze and loading chutes in our barnyard this last spring. It is almost impossible to manage and work your cows if you don't have the proper set-up. You can't just lead these cows around on a leash, so you have to have a properly designed layout so they will naturally go where you want them to go. So far, ours has worked like a charm.

I came inside to clean-up and eat before heading back out to mow the grass, a 4-hour job. I had an Angus burger patty with cheese and cayenne pepper. It was delicious. Put a load of laundry in the washer and headed outside, only to turn right around and come back inside because it started outing down rain. It has been raining on and off all afternoon. Maybe tomorrow will drier because the grass is getting long.

JustJo: Thanks for getting this new thread up and running again. Without you, where would the rest of us be?

My dad was stationed at Moron AFB outside of Sevilla from 1957-60 when we returned to the states. I was in 3rd through 6th grades. The first year we were there, I went to school in an office building in downtown Sevilla. We had to walk two blocks to get to a vacant lot for recess. After that we went to a new school on the base.

My family lived "on the economy" (not in base housing) in a small town called Alcalá de Guadalquivir. The main industry there was olive processing and we lived across the street from one of the plants. Olives were pitted and stuffed with pimentos by hand. My brother and sister and I got all of the free olives we could eat. I remember they had a coca-cola vending machine by the front door that dispensed those little bottles of Coke. Problem was the Spaniards at the time didn't like ice cold coke. They drank it warm. But the bottles were only a few pennies to buy.

The last time Patty and I were in Alamogordo was in 1990 when we moving to South Carolina from Arizona. It had already changed by then. Now, living in Florida, I don't know when the next opportunity, if any, will present itself to go there again. It sure was a nice little town.

Last edited by HotHunt : Sat, Sep-12-15 at 20:53.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 18:04

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

I copied this over from the old thread---into this new one for Paulette

OH HELL NO PAULETTE!

NO WAY you can leave the thread. IN NO way are you affecting us badly or whatever you are thinking

like Bernie said and I so agree----IT IS the good, the bad and the ugly but in the end I sure would hate to see you leave this thread, do not even think it!!!

I get your frustration to the max!

I have stalled out also for a few months! I had to fight my azz off to get BACK to my low of 188. been here a while, gained a bit and had to fight like hell to get back here, and NOT once have I thought of leaving this thread! I need it! and we need you and you need us cause WE ARE all in this together!

now if ya want to try a small experiment with some cottage cheese---have at it there is nothing wrong with having to experiment a bit with our foods on a daily basis. THIS MUST be a sustainable food situation for yourself and if adding in ONE small thing makes it great (and hopefully it triggers a loss or something) then experiment and keep us informed! All knowledge we learn from each other is a good thing!

We are not allowing you to leave and that is that!!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 20:00

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 230/165/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
I am so sad and sorry that you have not lost much weight in 4 months, maybe it really is time for you to change things up a bit! Please, Please DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT leave US! I don't think you'll mess with our mojo!

We NEED to know what you're going to try and how it works out for YOU.

You are one of the ORIGINAL WARRIORS, you can NOT abandon us now cause we NEED you!!

What Jo says Paulette. I think all of us need you. Maybe more then you need us. Please do not worry about my mojo. some times we have to make decisions that are just for us. I will be so sad if yo move on.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 20:53

BF:

Quote:
My weight this morning was up the pound I lost yesterday, so I know it was all water and not real fat loss. Weight is still at 272. Not going backwards is a plus. What do you gals call it? NSV?

I got my walk in this morning early and then Patty and I "worked" some of our cattle through the squeeze chute for vaccinations and insect spray. Took about 2 hours from start to finish. We spent a lot of time and money building out our cattle pens, crowding pens, alleyways, sweep tub and squeeze and loading chutes in our barnyard this last spring. It is almost impossible to manage and work your cows if you don't have the proper set-up. You can't just lead these cows around on a leash, so you have to have a properly designed layout so they will naturally go where you want them to go. So far, ours has worked like a charm.

I came inside to clean-up and eat before heading back out to mow the grass, a 4-hour job. I had an Angus burger patty with cheese and cayenne pepper. It was delicious. Put a load of laundry in the washer and headed outside, only to turn right around and come back inside because it started outing down rain. It has been raining on and off all afternoon. Maybe tomorrow will drier because the grass is getting long.

JustJo: Thanks for getting this new thread up and running again. Without you, where would the rest of us be?

Oh but I did lead mine around on a leash. I even rode her and taught her how to drive. LOL We had to spread the shafts on my pony cart so she could fit in. She also walked right into the trailer and I could pick up her feet for trimming. My mare was to foal and lost it early. I was given this calf and put as much time in training her as I would have spent on the foal. This is not the cow I milked This one was Valerie.A herford.

Yum on the burger patty.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 20:54

BF:

Thanks for the new thread Jo!!! I think I started in here about 3 but not sure. I will see if I can find it.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 03:10

Plan: Atkins 72 induction
Stats: 225/125/125 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jo,

Thank you for starting our thread and for bring over all our relevant A-72 info. I love reading that post it reaffirms I am 100% on plan. His quotes reinforce my resolve to never stray and be in the 5%!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 03:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/213.0/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 23%

Good morning everyone, I have finally had a breakthrough. I dropped a pound. Yay!!! Keep trudging on. Thanks Jo for starting up the new thread.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 04:01
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Huge Congrats on your NSV!
Quote:
I bet you are working harder now then you did before you "retired"!
Quote:
Oh please, it's easy to start a thread, so anyone can start it! I just like to be able to post all of our Important Atkin's 72 Info on the 1st page of the thread so we can refer to it when needed!
Quote:
My dad was stationed at Moron AFB outside of Sevilla from 1957-60 when we returned to the states. I was in 3rd through 6th grades. The first year we were there, I went to school in an office building in downtown Sevilla. We had to walk two blocks to get to a vacant lot for recess. After that we went to a new school on the base.
Okay my military history:
1959-1960 Dreux AFB, France (I was born in '59)
1960-1962 Mildenhall, England
1962-1964 Aviano Air Base, Italy
1963-1967 Dreux AFB, France
1967-1970 Moron AFB, Spain
(Santa Clara Elementary school on base ~ I only remember the name because Santa Clara is the patron saint of music and music is one of my passions! Actually I taught myself to play the guitar when we lived there!)
1970-1976 Sembach AFB, Germany
1976-1978 Orlando, Florida (Dad retired in '76)
1978-1980 Ft Bliss, Texas (married Army dude in '78)
1980-1981 Bad Kreuznach Army Post, Germany
1981-1983 Germershiem Army Depot, Germany
1983-1985 Ft Bliss, Texas
1985-1987 Garrison Chievres, Belguim
1987-1989 Ft Bliss, Texas
1989-1992 Mannehiem Army Post, Germany
1992-1993 Ft Bliss, Texas
1993-1996 Bitburg AFB, Germany
1996-1997 WSMR, NM (divorced Army dude in '97)
1997 to present New Mexico
Quote:
The last time Patty and I were in Alamogordo was in 1990 when we moving to South Carolina from Arizona. It had already changed by then. Now, living in Florida, I don't know when the next opportunity, if any, will present itself to go there again. It sure was a nice little town.
Wow that is a while back! It's still a nice little town! But it would completely blow away if the AFB wasn't here. We don't really have anything that would keep the town afloat unfortunately!