Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 16:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Unhappy Help.... please

I must be the most useless cook on the planet! I am trying to make chicken wings and they are not working out!

I got the receipe off here.... 1/4 lb butter and one bottle of Franks Hot Sauce 354 ml. Covered the wings in sauce and baked them at 450C for 35 mins. Well.... all the sauce melted off the wings and went to the bottom of the pan and I had to pour it off so the wings would crisp up???? Now the wings look like albinos! Is this what L/C wings look like? I have lots more sitting in the sauce ready to be cooked and I dont want to wasted them. I want them to be covered in thick sauce and browned like the ones I buy at the grocery store.

Could someone please tell me what to do???

Akiwican
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 16:19

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

other people do other things, but here's my own totally self-invented method.

Pan fry wings on medium to medium high in the largest non-stick frying pan you have. Man, is this a mess--chicken fat splatters everywhere. This renders off some of the skin's fat, and the longer I do it, I find the more I like the wings later.

Then take those wings, coat with sauce and cook for another 20 minutes at 400 degrees in oven. The sauce will still slide off some, but you just roll them around in it and put them on your plate, and the sauce stays put then--at least for long enough to eat them.

I will admit that some people might find the meat of my wings overcooked with this method, but I don't want the skin wiggly, so I like them this way.

The way restaurants in Buffalo NY do it is by first deep-frying the wings in hot, hot oil (then I forget what--but it was all shown on a FoodTV program about a month ago). The sauce might stick better because there's corn syrup in it--just a guess. After what I've been reading about what happens to oils when you heat them, tho, I'm glad I do it my way!

HTH!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 16:28

BF:

Thanks so much for the speedy reply Razzle. I did read that other people cook their wings like you do too. I will try that next time, but for now I am stuck with doing the next batch the same way as they are already in the sauce.

We just ate some of the first batch and they did actually taste good. Not as good as the ones I have bought from the store {which are farely low carb}. You are probably right about why the sauce sticks to the restaurant buffalo wings.

Back to the kitchen.....
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 18:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

What I do is simmer the wings in the hot sauce - with a little water added - on top of the stove until they swell up. Use a wide frying pan. Then I lay them on a tray and broil them until crispy. The wings are infused with the sauce and it's not quite as messy as deep frying them.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 20:14

BF:
Default Thanks Karen

That sounds good too. I will be making them again as they were a success with DH and the kids even though they were not the same as the bought ones. I definately like them more crispy, so will try to achieve that next time.

Akiwican