Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
Registered Member
I'm finally giving myself permission to brag
Posted by ExCell
Posted Thu, May-26-11
Male 6'
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/159/165
BF:
Progress: 122%
Default I'm finally giving myself permission to brag

Greetings, all. I joined this forum in January of 2010, and met my goal weight in May of that year. I haven't been back for a while, but I had this date circled on my calendar, because I promised that one year later I would still be at my goal weight.

So I've given myself permission to brag today. A year later, I'm below my goal weight. It really, really, really works!

I'm no expert or dietitian, but I hope that in sharing I can help others in the midst of their own transformation. Here are some things I've learned about food, diets, and myself:
It's not fat, calories, or cholesterol I needed to watch out for; it was sugar.

Dietary fat is not the same thing as physical fat on my body.

Exercise does my body a world of good in innumerable ways. However, it is not necessary to exercise to lose weight. I did it completely through diet.

Butter is better for me than margarine. Most things that are natural are better for me than things that are artificial.

Any nutritional benefit I get from bread can be gotten more efficiently from vegetables.

My basic meal consisted of meat, veggies, and starches. I eliminated the starches and added more meat and veggies.

Eggs, sausage, and bacon are better for me than cereal, toast, bagels, muffins, pancakes, and waffles.

It's not just donuts and ice cream that kill me with sugar; it's also things like ketchup, barbecue sauce, soda, sweet tea, and smoothies.

Skipping meals screws up my metabolism and doesn't help me lose weight at all.

Meal replacements were a horrible idea, whether it was a shake, an energy bar, or fruit. I only got results when I ate real, nutritious food.

Any diet that leaves my stomach growling is never going to work in the long run.

I had to avoid any food that I could eat endlessly and still be hungry, like potato chips and french fries.

To keep myself honest, I had to weigh myself every day. The thrill of a new middle digit was exhilarating, and the slightest increase was agony. But for me, the scale was my driving force. I couldn't have succeeded without it.

The biggest lesson I learned is this: Protein is king.

Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
Not uploaded yet
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After
Not uploaded yet

by Angey on Thu, May-26-11, 12:59

Congratulations! I'm a scale junkie too. Been LC off and on since 1999. I admit I abuse the diet because if I gain 30lbs, I know now that I can lose it with LC. I am really trying to break this cycle and am trying a restart and more of a commitment long term. I'm going to continue my scale but am better at journalling my weight and graphing it so I don't get down when it fluxuates. Best of luck continuing your WOE. Thanx for the inspiration!

7 comments [read all comments]

Article tools