Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 09:06

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%
Default Paleo Apocalype Food

We just saw The Road last night and we trying to think of paleo friendly food to store for an apocalypse. It would definitely give you the upper hand on people eating ramen noodles and canned fruit coctail. This is what we came up with:

nuts, seeds, dried fruits, raw honey, pemmican, canned fish/chicken, dried coconut

This stuff would be easier to carry around with you too rather than big bulky cans. Any other ideas? 2012 is right around the corner! Don't act like I'm weird! I know all you paleos think about this kinda stuff too!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 10:35

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I don't intend to store or carry food after the apocalypse. Our family is getting ready by toughening our bodies, not hoarding supplies. IF has taught me that I don't need to eat every day, and distance running has taught the missus that she can get anywhere on her own in an emergency.

I've been meaning to learn some more about edible wild plants and hunting and butchering animals. If I can't learn to kill what I eat, I don't think there's any hope for me.

But seriously, even though it looks inevitable, people have been predicting the apocalypse forever and they've all been wrong so far. I'm holding out hope that nothing that drastic will happen.

Last edited by capmikee : Fri, Dec-11-09 at 10:41.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 11:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
This stuff would be easier to carry around with you too rather than big bulky cans. Any other ideas? 2012 is right around the corner! Don't act like I'm weird! I know all you paleos think about this kinda stuff too!

Well yeah, but not because of some stupid year picked because someone's calendar didn't get any higher. Sheesh! If I thought that way I'd think every December 31st was the end of the world because my calendar ends at that point. Can't resist poking a little fun at you.

I should read Jared Diamond's book, "Collapse", that'd probably put the fear into me.

I figure if civ truly collapsed I'd probably raise chickens and guinea pigs for eatin'.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 11:48
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
We just saw The Road last night and we trying to think of paleo friendly food to store for an apocalypse. It would definitely give you the upper hand on people eating ramen noodles and canned fruit coctail. This is what we came up with:

nuts, seeds, dried fruits, raw honey, pemmican, canned fish/chicken, dried coconut

Going to see tonight. Your review?

Heh, the question of food after some apocalypse never ends well, does it. I'm not going to be the first to say it!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 11:57

The first to say what? We should eat human flesh? I'm not ashamed!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 11:57

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I've been meaning to learn some more about edible wild plants and hunting and butchering animals. If I can't learn to kill what I eat, I don't think there's any hope for me.

In The Road, all animals and plants have died, so people can't hunt and gather. Unless they hunt each other...

It's not paleo, but maybe grains would be a good option, as it's easy to keep large amounts and it takes a long time to spoil.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball
In The Road, all animals and plants have died, so people can't hunt and gather. Unless they hunt each other...

Well, that's just the end for everybody. Having heard nothing else about this movie, that sounds kind of dumb.

I had the same problem with The Matrix. The story says that they blotted out the sky with clouds so the machines couldn't get solar power. But they don't explain how they grow food for the humans without plants converting solar energy to digestible calories. All of our food comes from the sun via plants, one way or another, and the fact people will accept a story that ignores that fact just shows how isolated we have become from the realities of our food.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 12:11
Experimenter

BF:

I don't think the movie is meant to be taken that literally, Capnmike. I haven't seen it but heard a little about it.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 12:17

No doubt. And in fact, I loved The Matrix. But I wasn't sure what was driving this particular discussion.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 12:18

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I had the same problem with The Matrix. The story says that they blotted out the sky with clouds so the machines couldn't get solar power. But they don't explain how they grow food for the humans without plants converting solar energy to digestible calories. All of our food comes from the sun via plants, one way or another, and the fact people will accept a story that ignores that fact just shows how isolated we have become from the realities of our food.

The Matrix is way too dumb and I don't understand why people like it. The Road, though, is a good book (I haven't seen the film yet). It doesn't make any sense that plants and animals died and humans survived, but if you can accept the premise, you can enjoy a good story. Cormac McCarthy also wrote No Country for Old Men, so if you liked that book/film, you may like this one too.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 12:23

The Matrix is above all else a kung fu movie. If you don't like kung fu, you're not going to like The Matrix. There are some gadgets and comic-book philosophy thrown in, and I like those things too. No accounting for taste, I guess.

I didn't see No Country for Old Men.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 13:36

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

In the movie the biggest threat to the main characters are cannibals . Yeah it is kinda stupid that humans survived but no animals. I was mostly kidding about the 2012 thing but I think there is always a slight interest in what a post-apocalyptic society would be like, that's why we all want to see those kind of movies. I would probably eat bugs and worms before I would eat gluten grains, seriously.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 14:16
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

From the ads below: http://www.paleokits.org/

Here's a fun question: If the apocalypse happened tonight, how many days of food do you have access to?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 14:20
Experimenter

BF:

Me too AimeeJoi. I suspect some of those fat grubs that turn into Japanese beetles would taste pretty good given appetite as a sauce.

I was thinking about "The Road", haven't seen it or read the book, but kind of thinking about what the message might be. Perhaps it's the futility of survival when your species is doomed to die anyway? Then that got me to thinking about what is the meaning of life? Long ago I decided the question was really stupid. There is no meaning to life, other than the ones built into us to survive and reproduce. Life is the meaning of life, IMHO. Everything else is stories we make up to explain why we don't just run off the edge of a cliff. But the real explanation is easy. If we didn't have a strong will to exist built into us, we wouldn't be here today.

But what would be the purpose of continuing to exist if your food sources were taken away, except perhaps a few years of scavenging or cannibalism? In the end surviving to reproduce is a losing proposition since you can't really sustain yourselves anyway. So I thought about a father and son surviving in that fashion and was struck by the futility of their survival instinct and probably also the father's innate desire to protect his genetic heritage by ensuring the survival of his son. Anyway, I thought that was rather sad.

If you strip away kind of the point of life (to create more life) then what point is there in continuing on? Probably none unless you get a lot of enjoyment out of living. Maybe they have a lot of pretty sunsets to watch.

Ok, done babbling.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Everything else is stories we make up to explain why we don't just run off the edge of a cliff.

Those are some pretty important stories.

I'm always hearing stories about how a simplistic view of Darwinian evolution is seriously lacking. Plenty of research on altruism shows that individuals will not only sacrifice their lives to preserve the genes of their immediate family, but also of their species. Research on coevolution suggests that it can even cross species boundaries. I recently heard that even the evolutionary purpose of sex isn't so simple: bighorn sheep rams have gay sex in order to maintain social bonds. Rams who don't participate get cast out from the herd.

http://seedmagazine.com/content/art..._animal_kingdom

Considering all of that, I don't think it's such a stretch to include love as part of the meaning of life, not just living.