Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-01, 09:48

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 147/147/110
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question No energy & tired easily during exercise???

It will be week 4 for me doing the Atkins diet. Prior to the atkins diet - i worked out in the gym fairly regularly. I stopped for about a week or so during introduction.

I started back up and OH MY GOODNESS! It's so hard doing cardio - i get completely exhausted and get tired much easier. It feels like my body has no fuel when i'm exercising - any suggestions?

Thanks sooooo very much!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-01, 10:01

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Vicki-
Are you taking a multi-vitamin or anything like that? Also, I often find that when I take some time off from exercising, even if only a week, it is much harder to return to the level of activity I was doing before right away. Are you trying to do as much cardio as you did before you took the week off? Perhaps you should try to work your way back to that level of exercise.
It always amazes me at how long it takes for people to get in shape but how quickly our bodies can get out of shape!!

#3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-01, 10:12

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 147/147/110
BF:
Progress: 0%

thanks fern....yep, taking multi-vitamin. i've been trying to get back up to speed for the past week. ugggh!!!! i'm not doing anything differently - in fact, i feel like i'm doing much less! before i worked out before, i would eat oatmeal & i would be taking work out supplements too. since there is no caffeine - i've stopped that. i just feel sluggish

any ideas what i could eat before working out that would give me some extra oompf?

thanks again!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-01, 10:16

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Sluggish

Vicki, are you taking any supplements? Calcium and Magnesium help with fatigue and muscle cramps. Potassium is a good idea too for the first while. When I started this WOL I found it difficult to maintain the same intensity and duration I had while eating low fat. However, with the supplements and about 2 weeks I was back up to 45 minutes on the Nordictrack (first thing in the morning before breakfast). My energy levels are through the roof. Your body does need to adapt, but it will happen.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 13:41

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Vicki-
I find that it is very hard for me to actually get up in the morning to do cardio, but once I am up and out of bed and doing cardio on an empty stomach, I get into it and I feel better for the rest of the day! Sometimes it is harder for me to do cardio late at night b/c I am tired after working all day.

Let us know how things are going.....

Linda