Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 04:47

Plan: very low fiber
Stats: 225/225/150 Female 67 in.
BF:dont know
Progress: 0%
Default Lowering Cholesterol...

I was wondering and wanting to take a bit of a poll, who all on this board had there cholesterol lowered on a low carb diet?

(I ask because my doc has me on a low fat/ low cholesterol diet and it is kind of icky)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 06:51

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 330/140/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Read Dr. Malcolm Kendrick's "Great Cholesterol Con". You can do a web search for that book title and Eades and it will pull up his blog with a review of the book...which was enough to get me to order it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 07:32

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

I've had weight loss surgery, but even before that, I went on a low-carb, unrestricted fat diet when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Not only did it greatly improve my glucose numbers, but it also cut my high triglycerides by more than half, bringing them well into the "normal" range, and it decreased my LDL and total cholesterol (neither were technically high to begin with but dropped significantly anyway).

Please research (even just via Google) - you'll quickly discover that consuming dietary cholesterol is NOT what causes high blood cholesterol levels, so eating a low-cholesterol diet is unlikely to help. Further, eating fat does not increase cholesterol unless...wait for it...you're also consuming a lot of CARBS. But they like to just blame it on the fat :P

And finally, high cholesterol isn't actually always bad. For example, you can have high LDL without it being harmful because there are actually 2 types of LDL, commonly referred to as the small particles and the large "fluffy" particles. If you have primarily "fluffy" LDL, it's not dangerous. However, most docs don't even know to order the test to determine the type of LDL you have (and I believe that test is quite expensive). Also, if your total cholesterol is high but your RATIOS are good, that's a better indicator of health than the actual individual values.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 07:46
Registered Member

Plan: LC - hi fat
Stats: 191/160/155 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Let it clear. I am on a low carb life style. About 30-50 per day. The ONLY numbers I care about are HDL, Trig and LDL pattern. Cholesterol and FAT are good for you. I have tested this on myself. Results are...

2010 VAP test-30 pounds lost
Total cholesterol=417
HDL=60
trig=87
LDL=333
LDL pattern A

2011 VAP test (another 6-8 pounds lost)
Total cholesterol=347
HDL=72
trig=52
LDL=259
LDL pattern A

Intersting that my LDL did go down in my second year of VLC (very low carb/hi fat).

I don't think my doc likes my numbers, but I don't care.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 10:04

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Echoing what BradC says.

My latest #'s, as of last week: (off the top of my head, can't find paper right now)

TC = 250's
LDL = 152 up a bit from 131 last time
Trig = 88 up from 64 last time (cause I KNEW I had been eating too many carbs/sugar!!!)
HDL = 81 unchanged

Doc THINKS I'm on a lowfat diet. He noted the LDL getting up there, but can't say much else because of the ratios and HDL.

Anyway my point is, eat LCHF, it's the ratios that matter, if in doubt ask for the VAP/NMR. I think there are labs you can get it direct for a not to unreasonable fee. It's my ace in the hole if things get ugly with the doc.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 05:44

Plan: Syndrome X - Atkins
Stats: 201/193.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:36/32/21
Progress: 12%

When I was diagnosed with high cholesterol and TG I was also diagnosed with IR. I ate 2-3 eggs with soy cheese, 2 beef patties w/soy cheese, and a piece of protein and green veggies each night. I took omegas and ate olive oil on all salad greens. My overall dropped, my HDL rose, my TG dropped. I should have stepped it up then. I plan to do this again and increase my omegas so I can eliminated the drugs! LC worked well, I just did not stay with it then.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 09:05

Plan: WAPF
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 0'0"
BF:0%/0%/0%
Progress: 163%

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisser4
plan to do this again and increase my omegas so I can eliminated the drugs!

Take your chances: http://thehealthyskeptic.org/when-i...e-is-not-better

I agree with Chris Masterjohn, Kurt Harris, Ray Peat, Chris Kresser, etc. about keeping PUFAs as low as possible.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 10:01
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 146/134/134 Male 165cm
BF:

I was sceptical of fish oil after reading Ray Peat's article:

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/fishoil.shtml

I thought it was probably better to just eat fish.

But I ended up taking 1g per day after reading Chris Kresser's guide to fish oil:

http://thehealthyskeptic.org/the-de...il-buyers-guide

... and his comment on Ray Peat:

"I’ve read a lot of Ray Peat’s stuff, as well as other research suggesting n-3s aren’t essential. Overall, I believe the epidemiological and clinical evidence supports the hypothesis that DHA reduces CVD mortality and improves other outcomes."

http://thehealthyskeptic.org/why-fi...urce-of-omega-3

It seems Kresser has changed his tune, which he admits in the article cited above by Jay1988 (and which is admirable).

Ray Peat is often regarded as a bit off the wall. Perhaps we might take him a bit more seriously!

Ned Kock has an interesting alternative to fish oil:

http://healthcorrelator.blogspot.co...l-softgels.html
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 11:07

Plan: WAPF
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 0'0"
BF:0%/0%/0%
Progress: 163%

Lipid researchers and three of the four people I cited all agree that 4% of caloric intake being from PUFAs is ideal, whereas Cordain and such seem to be PUFA-heavy.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 11:53

Plan: LC
Stats: 260/218/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Definitely!
Progress: 38%

After a year on low carb my picture:
HDL way up
TG way down
LDL up a bit
fasting glucose normal
That adds up to going from moderate CV risk to low CV risk. This is a typical pattern for those of us on LC.
My doc didn't really want to hear about my diet, but did say "keep doing what you're doing". That's good enough for me.
I would say, try low carb for 3 months and ask to have your bloodwork checked again.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 15:00

I use Omega 3,6,9 from fish, borage, and flax. My cholesterol is genetic. My daughter was just tested and at 19 she is showing high total cholesterol (249). She eats oatmeal every morning during the winter and eats a lot of salad, fish and chicken. She loves fruits and veggies. My sister eats almost no red meat, little poultry and mostly fish (no shellfish) and lots of fruits and veggies is now on a statin. Doc even told her it is genetic. Lovely! When I was a vegetarian (I really don't like meat/fish) I had high everything. Sucks!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 03:13
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 146/134/134 Male 165cm
BF:

Is 249 high?. See Table 5 in this article. Seems like 200 to 260 is the sweet spot.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=3836
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory b
Is 249 high?. See Table 5 in this article. Seems like 200 to 260 is the sweet spot.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=3836

Not for a 19 year old girl with PCOS and is 3rd generation (as far as they know). Because of our family pre-disposition to MS/IR, diabetes, and heart disease it is considered high. My docs want mine down below 145. All things relative you know. She exercises, eats well, but is at college and does not do as well as she should. We are trying to keep her as healthy as possible while she is young so she does not have the same issues my sister, nieces, and I have had to deal with. None of us were diagnosed as early as she was. I also have 2 nieces with PCOS and we are doing the same with them.

Shawn