Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-11, 22:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/134.6/125.4 Female 160cm
BF:35%
Progress: 37%
Default happyas

I've been enjoying Atkins Diet for almost 3months. My Doctor ordered blood teat and the results just came back. I'm in absolute shock, my Cholestrol has always been great and today it was doubled. My doctor has never seen anyones Cholestrol go up that fast ever she said. I'm so upset of the results, just when I thought I had found a new way of eating. Has anyone else ever experienced this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-11, 04:52

Plan: Mixture .. mainly Paleo
Stats: 168/163/120 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Sorry to hear that Happyas, yet it is good to know about it. Did the doctor say it was due to your diet? I have never followed Atkins myself as I thought it was too strict in the beginning stage, but plenty of people seem to get on fine with it. I am sure that you will have many replies from people who have done well with Atkins. I am not qualified to say, but I wish you well. I have not been a member for long, but I find that many people are very helpful and very knowledgeable. Welcome to the site.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-11, 06:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

When your body is mobilizing fat for burning, it does show up in the blood. When you settle into another stage of losing weight, it calms down, and so does the blood levels.

Six months out you have a much better picture.

Besides; the lipid hypothesis was based on rigged data. You'd think that would disprove it; but it's dogma now.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-11, 16:53
Registered Member

Plan: LC - hi fat
Stats: 191/160/155 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Cholesterol and FAT are good for you. Happyas, you will need to be more specific with your numbers. What is your HDL, LDL and triglycerides? High cholesterol is not necessarily a bad thing. Don't freak out, get some info under your belt. Same situation happended to me. A nice link for you to read and some nice stickies at the top of this page. Here is the link....

TOTAL CHOLESTEROL MEANS NOTHING
http://drjamescarlson.blogspot.com/...ns-nothing.html

#5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-11, 02:21

Thank you for your replies, well, going by my Doctor the reading is awful. I've always been 4.8 mmol/L whatever that is. Six weeks of being on Atkins it's 7.6 mmol/L. I was loving Atkins until she told me how bad my reading was. I'm sad about that.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-11, 03:23

HDL...1.42 LDL...5.69
3 months ago prior to starting Atkins.HDL was 1.23 LDL was 2.77. I was loving the Atkin LC...not sure what to do now.
Thanks for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC
Cholesterol and FAT are good for you. Happyas, you will need to be more specific with your numbers. What is your HDL, LDL and triglycerides? High cholesterol is not necessarily a bad thing. Don't freak out, get some info under your belt. Same situation happended to me. A nice link for you to read and some nice stickies at the top of this page. Here is the link....

TOTAL CHOLESTEROL MEANS NOTHING
http://drjamescarlson.blogspot.com/...ns-nothing.html

#7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-11, 04:04

BF:

I understand your concerns happyas. There is an article in Mail Online about Professor Cynthia Kenyon and eating low carb. Demi posted an article on this site regarding this. I have read about Cynthia Kenyon for a long time and she is very much into low carb. It is an interesting read. I am not strictly low carb, but I know that my body fares much better when I am. Everything you do is up to you though. Good luck.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 23:36

Dear Sayria, I totally agree with you. I love low carb it has been the best thing I have ever tried. I'm never hungry and I have never eaten so many veggies in my life.

It's all the fat that has driven my cholesterol up, so I'm still doing Low Carb just not the fat. Hope this is ok, I so don't know what I'm doing.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-11, 05:36

BF:

Dear Happyas I can't make up my mind about all the fat either. A few years ago I stopped eating bread because it gave me really bad heartburn to the point of being sick. My heartburn disappeared within 24 hours and I noticed that my weight was going down. I started to eat in a way that I called Nature's eating pattern. Meat, fish, eggs, cheese, salads, fruits, veggies, a bit of potato, drop of milk, small amounts of cream and some butter. Occasionally I would eat a jam and cream scone which never seemed to bother my system. I lost something like 42 lbs or more eating this way. I didn't eat larger amounts of protein or huge amounts of fat. Anyway, I loved this way of eating and was delighted with my weight loss. I felt so much better eating this way. I guess it was more Paleo, but not strictly so. Then for some reason I started to add more carbs and I found that the bread didn't affect me so badly. If I built up the carbs I would begin to suffer with my digestion. The carbs I am talking about are mainly the ones containing flour. Before I knew where I was I had put a lot of weight back on, but not quite as much as I was when I started this WOE. Since putting it back on I have been going round in circles doing low calorie, low carb, eating only when hungry etc and getting nowhere. My calories were only 1200 - 1400 and I was still losing and regaining the same 2 lbs over and over. I didn't do much with the low carb simply because I couldn't stick with it for long. I would much rather have a slice of toast than egg and bacon. I joined this site to hear what other low carbers were doing and I find they are a fantastic group of people with a great deal of knowledge. Before joining I thought I was the only one who read science articles etc, but I am not because a lot of these people are very knowledgeable. People I know outside of this groupd don't seem to study the subject at all, so it was great for me to discover such knowledgeable, interesting and helpful people. I am at the stage now where I have talked myself into going a bit higher fat and keeping to lowish carb. No flour etc, but fruits (mainly berries) and veggies. Only started this three days ago and the first day I put a lb on; no difference today. I want to try and stay with it because I think it is far healthier than eating loads of carbs. I am not sure about the fat levels. I don't eat the fat on meat because I simply cannot stand it, but have added butter and cream etc. I saw an article regarding fat on these pages, but can't say where it was now. If I come across it I will let you know. Good luck Happyas.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-11, 15:32

Hi Sayria

Gee, your story sounds the same as mine. For 3 months I lost and gained the same 2lb. The scales became my enemy because they did'nt reflect the hard and honest work I put in.

I too started with cutting out the bread and felt so much better, however I was always looking for food. So I started the Atkins diet and I was never hungry again. The weight didn't come off and some-one told me to have my thyroid check and to tell the doctor I was on 1200 calories a day and still no weight loss.

My test came back "low Thyroid" and now I'm on Thyroxin 50mg one a day. It's been a week tomorrow since being on the thyroxin and it's been a week since cutting out cream and butter. I have plent of good fats from seeds and cold pressed oils, so tomorrow I weigh myself again (only do this once a week) The next weigh-in will be the test, because in the past it's been 2lb on 2lb off.....so I will see.

It's been so good hearing from you, I thought I was the only one with this problem, thank you so very much.