Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-12, 17:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/115/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress:
Default Super Awkward Moment

I just need to vent about what happened today at work!

I'm a nanny. I feed the kids whole foods: veggies, fruit, cheese, and nuts with less focus on grains, but certainly only give them high fiber grains. NO sugar. Their parents are as strict with the kids' meals, but seem to have no problem including "all fruit" popsicles (20g carbs/bar... I checked), and for snacks, heavy on the dried fruit and zero nutrition crackers.

The way I feed the kids is considered healthy by the parents, who (from recycling evidence) eat a lot of processed food and take-out.

I do NOT preach my methods for what I deem "healthy eating." I'll tell *you* that I was low carb since 1999, started fat fasting a few months ago, and evolved that into eating Primal with dairy. Since there isn't a "primal" forum, I came here, because it's the closest.

This morning the mom and I were discussing another child's obesity. I explained that I'd recently read that obesity can be defined as a form of mal-nourishment. I thought that would be a middle ground that pretty much most people would agree on, and that would be that.

She said, "Oh, I agree. Those people are just eating way too much FAT!"

I couldn't let that one slide, even with my boss. I said, shaking my head, "I don't buy into the theory that fat is bad. In fact, (my wife) and I eat like cavemen and it really works for us."

Boss: "But it's not like you're eating 80% of your calories from fat!"

Well, what could I say? I couldn't lie. I said, "Yes, that's about what I eat."

Boss: "You eat 80%? FAT? What is the rest? Protein?"

Me: "Yes, and vegetables."

Boss: "Well, different things work for different people," as she chomped a banana.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-12, 17:57

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

When you're feeding the kids when their parents aren't around, do you hold back on the grains & excess fruit? I'd find it hard not to.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-12, 18:05

BF:
Progress:

We keep a log of what we feed them.

Grains, somewhat, but the whole premise of eating like our ancestors is that they ate all of the animals, including organ meats, so they got all their micro-nutrients. I don't see how kids can get those unless they eat whole grains. It's not like the parents will give them vitamins to supplement, you know?

I feed them plenty of fruit, too, for the same reasons. Oh, and beans. Nutrients with fiber. Gotta keep 'em regular.

I justify it for two reasons:
1. Not my kids so I have limited control.
2. Whole food is better than processed. A step in the right direction. Get them used to it early on so they appreciate it for a lifetime.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-12, 21:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You can get everything from vegetables, roots, nuts and so on that are in grains. More since grains have a lot of phytates and things that bind to minerals and iron. In fact, they spray grains with vitamins because they lose so much during processing. Not to mention the farmers spraying their fields with Round-Up (herbicide) before harvest to increase the yield.

I don't think grains have anything to offer anyone, except calories.

But yeah, it isn't your battle to have.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-12, 13:18

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Do the parents log the processed and take-out foods - or do they not feed them to the kids?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-12, 15:07

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I hope you are feeling better about this now that a few days have passed.

Consider that everything you do IS helping these kids have a better diet as an adult.

Changing other peoples thinking and information ONLY happens if they are listening. ANd you may have planted a seed that needs time to sprout.

Afterall, listen to all the TV and it is still fat is bad and fat makes you fat--not very educated thinking. Unfortunately most people do not want to be educated.

I'm glad you are feeding the kids so well; even if the parents are not feeding as well as you do, know that they are still eating better than 75 % of the rest of the American children.

You should be proud of that. Keep up the good effort.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-12, 15:19

Plan: SBD; Glycemic Index
Stats: 206/190/160 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 35%

I agree with everything that Arielle said. You're up against decades of misinformation. And these are your employers. But they do seem to care about their kid's nutrition. You might have gotten her thinking. You planted a seed. If she cares as much as she seems to, she may read up on what you said.

And feeding the kids whole food (even if it is grain) is better than chips and candy and "fruit juice" and Lunchables.

You're doing the best you can.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-12, 06:07

BF:
Progress:
Default Godd news!

I have noticed that the parents have backed off of grains a bit! I'm also giving them eggs and bacon for breakfast a couple times a week and the parents are okay with that, too!

Nancy, I've read about the phytates and processing it's scary, for sure.

Deirdra - It's funny you should ask about the log. Now that the kids are old enough to remember what they ate the day before, I've noticed that only the primary meals are written in the log. For example, this week I asked, "What is this sticky red blob on the dining room floor?" The answer, "That's a popsicle that Mommy gave us." (Mind you, the child said this sheepishly, as he knows it's "not healfy.") He also told me he got to eat a lollipop with a tootsie roll in the middle. And after swim class they had granola bars and fruit snacks. None of this was in the log. There must be some kind of twisted (denial) rationalization behind it. Out of sight, out of mind?

Arielle - Yes, I'm feeling better. I'm doing everything I am able to do, including teaching them what is "not healthy" and they understand that things that are "not healthy" are "special treats." Thank you so much for the kind words of encouragement and support.

Jadeite - That's what I keep telling myself! The less grains may indeed be a result of a planted seed!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-12, 20:07

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

The mother's surprise about the 80% fat in your diet is probably because she is thinking you are eating pure butter or something. Most people think an egg has NO fat at all, and the same with poultry and "lean meats." Until you see the fat content of foods diagrammed in a colorful pie graph, I think it's hard to comprehend. At least, that is what has worked for me.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-20-13, 12:32

Plan: Moderate Carb Paleo
Stats: 165/146/135 Female 5'4
BF:36%/30%/25%
Progress: 63%

I know some people who would pay extra for a paleo nanny. You should consider it!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-20-13, 14:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoatime
I know some people who would pay extra for a paleo nanny. You should consider it!

Wow! That would be a pretty neat gig!