Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 11:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/225/180 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 55%

I blanche the brocolli for a minute or so and it gets really nice and green and looks soooooo nice in the salad.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 13:07

Stats: 175/150/125 Female 5'2''
BF:
Progress: 50%

I just peel everything that isn't the head part. It takes some time but it's very much worth it!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 17:17

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi - I didn't add fruit, but I did add sweetner. I think you could also do the sweetened nuts that use splenda and butter and spices. For fruits, I think you could use a little apple, melon might be good but it would not allow you to use it as leftovers (melons don't play well with others when left to sit over night ) blueberries would be good too. I really like using the packaged broccoli slaw to make this.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 13:53
based on real events

Stats: 198.5/190.5/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 13%
Thumbs up

Ha, you guys are wonderful! I was looking all over the web and even hit the search on here just in case someone had this recipe, I found many variations but none that were similar to what we eat....I decided to do a visual here and taadaaa..here it is!...super thanks! The only difference we do is only half a big red onion, one large floret, and adding lots of grated cheddar....other than that its very similar to how we make it. I will let you all know if the natives can distinguish the splenda from the real thing!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 02:36

Plan: Atkins-modified diabetic
Stats: 259/259/130 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

I made this today w/o the chopping and peeling and mess, and found a way to make the dressing sweet and smoky (without the nuts, raisins or sweetener) because I had none of that stuff, it took me like 10 mins tops to make:

1 bag frozen broccoli, thawed in fridge
1/4 lb bacon, fried, drained and crumbled
1/2 C mayo
2 T whipping cream (unwhipped liquid)
shredded (or diced) cheddar cheese to taste
finely diced onion to taste (I like lots)
dash black pepper
1 T SF LC maple flavor syrup

Cook the bacon the easy way: lay 2-3 layers of paper toweling on a glass or microwave safe large plate or platter, and lay the bacon strips on the paper towels (if it is easier you can hack the slab of bacon in half before peeling off slices to cook, this makes it a bit easier to lay on the plate). Cover with 1-2 more pieces paper toweling and cook for 40 secs to 1 min per slice, depending on how high your microwave oven wattage is. When the bacon is done you will know because the fatty parts are even crispy! Let sit too cool.

Meanwhile, mix the mayo, cream, pepper, onion in a small bowl, adding the syrup slowly and tasting the mix for your level of sweet. Don't forget how bland cold broccoli can be...sometimes a stronger flavor is good, especially if you are going to let it sit in the fridge awhile. Crumble the bacon and add to the mixture, then in a large bowl, put the broccoli pieces and mix the broccoli up with the mayo mixture, coating it evenly. Stir in the cheese shreds/chunks and put in the fridge for about 1 hour before serving.

I keep shredded cheese and diced onion in good freezer bags in my freezer. Why? I hate chopping onion and the cheese stays nice a bit longer than if I were to shred it and put it in the fridge. My store seems to always have pre-shred cheese on sale for some reason so I will continue to buy it for recipes. I don't shred block cheese, however...the pre-shredded packs contain a pretty insignificant amount of preservative anti-caking powder which keeps the shreds from sticking together. And frozen broccoli is not only already chopped and washed, it seems a *teeny* bit softer and less likely to need peeling than the raw stuff. I hardly noticed a difference but then the last time I had fresh broccoli in this salad was a few months ago.

**Yields about 2-3 cups salad.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 23:31

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

we make this recipe all the time but it is a little different

the listed recipe is

Broccoli Salad

2 heads broccoli - sometimes we use broccoli slaw
1 medium red onion
8 slices bacon
1 cup mayonnaise - thinned with a bit of cream
1/2 cup sugar (substitute Splenda) - for myself i combo splenda and stevia
3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar - we use balsamic vinegar
1 cup pecans, chopped - we use sunflower seeds and slivered almonds
and for myself, i leave out the raisins

delicious recipe and the broccoli slaw i buy only has two grams net carbs per serving. we make this all the time