Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 19:04

Plan: LC, IF,no sugar
Stats: 294.5/278.3/180 Female 5'9" (top weight was 309)
BF:yes/I/do
Progress: 14%
Question Exercise or not to exercise?

I am Sunsea and I have 119 pounds to lose...I am here for the second try and was LCing a couple years ago but drifted away on the carb train again. I have a question...I read in 2 different books that exercising will increase your appetite and that just eating on the program will get the weight off...what do you guys think?...I do walk my dog...but it means vigorous exercising...like an hour or two at the gym...what are you thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 19:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsea
I am Sunsea and I have 119 pounds to lose...I am here for the second try and was LCing a couple years ago but drifted away on the carb train again. I have a question...I read in 2 different books that exercising will increase your appetite and that just eating on the program will get the weight off...what do you guys think?...I do walk my dog...but it means vigorous exercising...like an hour or two at the gym...what are you thoughts?

Hello Sunsea, ahhh California, my ultimate dream!!
It is my personal belief that we are deluding ourselves if we think we can do this without making huge changes in our lives. I did not get this way overnight and it certainly isn't because I took care of myself. Every Doc out there will tell you to get at least a 1/2 hr a day of some kind of excersice, and it's true, the more you do, the more you can and want to do. BUT start off slow...Since I have a leg fusion, I am very limited in the activities I can do, so for now I walk (HIKE) and I just bought a rebounder so every other day I bounce.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 19:37

yeah..I heard about the rebounder on another thread...does it just shake/bounce the fat off of you or what?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 19:43

Quote:
yeah..I heard about the rebounder on another thread...does it just shake/bounce the fat off of you or what?

ya I wish. No it's just like a mini trampoline for 1, it's alot of fun. I've always heard that to keep up with excersising, it has to be something that you like, it took me a long time to find it but this seems to be doing the trick, looking into disc golfing too...
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 19:51

ok...I will...thx
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-12, 07:07
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Dr. Atkins said that exercise is not an option. Think about trying some HIIT. It doesn't take too long and is very good for you. HIIT
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-12, 09:51
Absurdtive

Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

I really like the Primal Blueprint approach to exercise--move frequently at a slow pace (i.e. walking), sprint sometimes, and lift heavy things. So your moving frequently at a slow pace activitiy can be whatever you enjoy--walking, hiking, bike rides around a nice park, canoeing, etc. The sprinting basically is HIIT, as Becky recommended above. Weightlifting is also very important. Don't use those silly Barbie dumbbells though. Weightlifting should feel like Lifting. Weights. If it doesn't, it's not heavy enough. Goal should be a weight that you can only lift for 4-8 reps in one set. Check out the Primal Blueprint website--they have a fitness e-book that you can download for free if you subscribe.

--Melissa
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-12, 12:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Don't get sucked up into the "more is better" thinking when it comes to exercise. Do some resistance training, maybe some HIIT and leave it at that. Too many women get on here and they're absolute exercise fanatics and they can't lose an ounce. I think it has something to do with excess exercise causing release of cortisol and depressing certain thyroid hormone production.

You can lose weight without exercising and exercise might not have a huge impact on your weight loss, or it might, it just depends. However, it is very good for you and who knows, you might be one of the lucky ones where it helps you lose weight faster.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-12, 13:19

Stats: 265/231/175 Male 72 inches
BF:265/231/175
Progress: 38%

Exercise does not appear to lead to weight loss.

Is it good for you? Yes it is.

Think first for flexibility, muscle tone and balance. Very light exercise can get this done eg walking, lifting light (5-20#) weights, slow calisthenics. If you are out of shape, these are excellent starting points.

To build muscle or endurance or cardiovascular endurance, you really have to up the duration and intensity.

The biggest thing for an exercise program is to select something that you want to do 3-7 days a week no matter where you are or what other things are on your plate. To a large extent is does not matter what. Just do it.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-12, 14:06
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
I really like the Primal Blueprint approach to exercise--move frequently at a slow pace (i.e. walking), sprint sometimes, and lift heavy things. So your moving frequently at a slow pace activitiy can be whatever you enjoy--walking, hiking, bike rides around a nice park, canoeing, etc. The sprinting basically is HIIT, as Becky recommended above. Weightlifting is also very important. Don't use those silly Barbie dumbbells though. Weightlifting should feel like Lifting. Weights. If it doesn't, it's not heavy enough. Goal should be a weight that you can only lift for 4-8 reps in one set. Check out the Primal Blueprint website--they have a fitness e-book that you can download for free if you subscribe.

--Melissa

I like this approach also.
I walk a lot and have for many years for my work. I believe that losing more than 100 lbs makes it a bit tricky to do many things...but walking is good.
The lymphatic system drains away the fat we are losing and the walking helps it do its work.

Very cute pooch, Sunsea!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-12, 17:59
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 267.2/182/160 Female 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

I've been trying to exercise a bit everyday. Either walking, the elliptical or rebounding. It definitely helps my blood sugar readings. They've been going down a lot faster than my weight.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-12, 21:43

Plan: Back to Atkins Induction
Stats: 276/213/146 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Intense prolonged cardio has been shown to be bad for you.

I've lost almost sixty pounds and have not consistently exercised. And when I do, it's more a primal type. What on earth would one do at a gym for over an hour? Besides ogle, that can take up a fair amount of time if I'm not careful lol.

I love the primal fitness also, and I love the way I feel when I do it. I'm now incorporating it into losing my next 80 lbs. Playing wall ball with the kiddos is great and wacking the crap outta that ball really releases some stress, let me tell you!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 07:49

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 389.6/222.6/225 Male 6'2"
BF:24.6%
Progress: 101%

definitely exercise! do some walking, an hour a day! make it a habit and it will change your life.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-12, 12:04

thx Anthony for your post...I just got a new doggie...he is a rescue...he had 1 day left b4 the shelter euthanized him...he is a Maltese. I started to walk with him...he will get me out to walk...the only thing is...and it's kinda cute... is after a few yards of walking...he sits down and he doesn't want to go any further...then I coax him and then he goes and then he sits down again...hopefully he will get the hang of it. He is a great buddy.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-12, 14:10

Quote:
thx Anthony for your post...I just got a new doggie...he is a rescue...he had 1 day left b4 the shelter euthanized him...he is a Maltese. I started to walk with him...he will get me out to walk...the only thing is...and it's kinda cute... is after a few yards of walking...he sits down and he doesn't want to go any further...then I coax him and then he goes and then he sits down again...hopefully he will get the hang of it. He is a great buddy.

Been walking with my doggies (both rescued) and I'm sure they think I am tryin to kill them even though they are much bigger than your little guy. Don't know how far you want to go, but they sell body harnesses for dogs like for babies, so you could walk as far as he wants to go, then slip him in that while you kept walking...My husky is all gun ho at the start, but on the way back as she gets tired, she gets in front of me and slows down to slow me down