Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-11, 15:30

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Interested in Paleo diet

I've been on Atkins for quite a while. I've read a little on paleo sounds a lot like atkins induction.
Is dairy allowed? I love cheese milk I can't stand.
fruits too? I"m missing strawberries!!
Any good links to read. I prefer ones with layman's terms. LOL I'm working on my bachelors and don't want to have to spend a ton of time looking up a lot of terms.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-11, 16:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/125/115 Female 5'
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 83%

Check out robbwolf.com . He provides nearly everything on his website that is in his book "The Paleo Solution, the Original Human Diet" He also has a very interesting podcast every week.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-11, 16:56
4 phases Use them

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 250/250/180 Male 70 Inches
BF:ack/ack/ack
Progress: 0%

Depends on the Paleo person...

Mark Sisson is Dairy Agnostic, others say don't include it.

My question for you is what phase of Atkins are you in? I have been in OWL and just moved to Pre-Maintenance and strawberries have been there since OWL

To Quote Atkins own book:
During the first week on OWL, increase your daily carb intake from the 20 grams a day on Induction to 25 grams a day-going up one level. I recommend you add either another salad, half an avocado, a cup of cauliflower or six to eight stalks of asparagus or another vegetable. Continue to eat this way for the rest of the week. As long as your weight loss continues steadily, you can go up another level-to 30 grams daily-the following week. If you are a veggie lover, you may be happy continuing to add more salad greens and other vegetables. Or you may choose to add a half-cup of cottage cheese, an ounce of sunflower seeds or a dozen macadamia nuts. If you have been feeling fruit deprived, now is the time to add berries, the fruits lowest on the glycemic index. (Thirteen average-size strawberries contain 5 grams of carbs.)

Have you actually read the chapters on OWL or have you been cruising on induction?

Last edited by JohnGibson : Tue, Apr-19-11 at 18:23.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-11, 17:43
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGibson
Depends on the Paleo person...

Mark Sisson is Dairy Agnostic, others say don't include it.

My question for you is what phase of Atkins are you in? I have been in OWL and just moved to Pre-Maintenance and strawberries have been there since OWL

To Quote Atkins own book:

During the first week on OWL, increase your daily carb intake from the 20 grams a day on Induction to 25 grams a day-going up one level. I recommend you add either another salad, half an avocado, a cup of cauliflower or six to eight stalks of asparagus or another vegetable. Continue to eat this way for the rest of the week. As long as your weight loss continues steadily, you can go up another level-to 30 grams daily-the following week. If you are a veggie lover, you may be happy continuing to add more salad greens and other vegetables. Or you may choose to add a half-cup of cottage cheese, an ounce of sunflower seeds or a dozen macadamia nuts. If you have been feeling fruit deprived, now is the time to add berries, the fruits lowest on the glycemic index. (Thirteen average-size strawberries contain 5 grams of carbs.)

Have you actually read the chapters on OWL or have you been cruising on induction?

You beat me to it. I was going to ask the exact same thing?

OWL?? or still trying to stay within induction guidelines?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-11, 18:43

BF:

I'm still under induction guidelines. My ultimate goal is 150 so I'll be going owl about 160. I know if I don't go owl I'm in trouble from past experience. Thanks guys!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-11, 19:58

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylakala
I'm still under induction guidelines. My ultimate goal is 150 so I'll be going owl about 160. I know if I don't go owl I'm in trouble from past experience. Thanks guys!!

Hmmm ..... just catching up on journals and followed a link. So out of curiosity, how are you going to work through all the rungs of OWL and learn what your triggers are, what your stalling foods are, and what your CCLL (critical carb level for losing) is with only 10 lbs left to go? That's when you should be moving on to pre-maintenance and establishing your CCLM (maintenance level). Sorry to butt in, but I've been reading so many posts lately by people who claim to be doing Atkins, but are really only doing induction - they're not following the whole plan! I'm not saying that this applies to you, but a lot of people don't seem to understand that OWL means ongoing weight-loss and is meant to be the major learning portion of the whole plan.

< Sorry, back to my hidey-hole >
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-11, 20:25
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
I've been on Atkins for quite a while. I've read a little on paleo sounds a lot like atkins induction.
Is dairy allowed? I love cheese milk I can't stand.
fruits too? I"m missing strawberries!!
Any good links to read. I prefer ones with layman's terms. LOL I'm working on my bachelors and don't want to have to spend a ton of time looking up a lot of terms.

Dr. Atkin's clearly states that when you have finished 2 weeks of induction or are beginning to get bored with your food choices, it is the time to move to OWL if you have not already.

If you were in OWL you would have already added strawberries back into your meal plan and know if they are a safe food or a trigger.

It seems like before you jump ship, you need to work the plan AS WRITTEN. Atkins is 4 PHASES. Not just one--induction.

The predominance of your weight loss as Glendarc stated should be in OWL--it's called ONGOING WEIGHT LOSS for a reason

I have to agree with everything the Glendarc posted.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

Glendarc--you need to come out of your hidey hole more often!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-11, 21:21
Registered Member

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 163/145/000 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 11%

If you're interested in Paleo, I'd definitely recommend Mark Sisson, too. Most of his stuff is free. I've yet to actually buy anything from him; the majority of your information can be found on his site. I still have every intention of buying the book. I even have an Amazon gift card I can use. I've just been too lazy about it.

I also have one of Wolf's books, and I've seen where he disagrees with Sisson on some points. For those items, I basically assess all their reasons for the opposing viewpoints and decide what'll work best for me. I prefer Sisson's fitness plan; he seems more oriented towards combination exercises, spending less time working out and more time enjoying life.

In fact, having a fitness plan is the only reason I can see for you going Paleo at this point. I've read Atkins, too, and he only says to exercise, doesn't give step-by-step plans, from what I recall. Wolf and Sisson do. Paleo is different from Atkins in that it doesn't tell you to phase in certain types of foods at certain time, at least not in either of the plans I've been studying. Both Sisson and Wolf are of the opinion that working out is NOT an option, so if you're not prepared to work out at least 4-5 days a week, neither of those plans is for you.

I've found that there's a lot of freedom in going Paleo. Still a lot of foods I'm not allowed to touch, but infinite combinations of what I'm allowed, so I'm pretty content. This is it; I'm learning to happily feed myself within a set of parameters that is flexible to a certain extent but doesn't change. There's no carb ladder, nutrition is pretty simple. Meat + vegetable, nuts + fruit or some combination thereof. No grains at all, some dairy on occasion, depending on how your body handles dairy. It's not for everyone, but I'm pretty pleased with it thus far.

I would suggest really researching Paleo; read Sisson and Wolf and Cordain. I wouldn't do it just because you want fruit. You can have fruit on Atkins. I love what I'm doing, but I also researched it for a month before I started. I think you can avoid a lot of frustration if you look at all your options, make your decision and stick with it.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-11, 21:35

BF:

Excellent post and excellent advice, toryrose! It's good to hear the same advice from the other camp ... we're not that different but sometimes one approach works better for a persons lifestyle than another.

I'll be looking forward to others of your contributions!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 05:20

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Try this : http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblo...-manifesto.html

He takes all the bull out of Paleo ! Just me : Mark= money ! And I do read his stuff ! but all in all Kurt Harris MD shows the facts !
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 07:08

BF:

Awesome information.
I know what you mean about going to the next phase. I was thinking along those lines myslef.
I have done owl for a few weeks and then gone back to induction a couple of times.
I can eat almonds and continue to lose weight.
Strawberries not so much.
It is hard for me to go off of induction because I want to lose quickly. LOL I know its a process
I will start adding more veggies this week and keep studying the paleo diet. I haven't had any almonds in a week or so. I might just go get some.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 07:18
4 phases Use them

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 250/250/180 Male 70 Inches
BF:ack/ack/ack
Progress: 0%

Kaylakala,

check out Sisson's free ebook for primal Fitness: While I am still doing Atkins Pre-Maint, to be honest, I am really moving toward a more Paleo Approach.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prim...eprint-fitness/

Ron, Look there is nothing wrong with profiting from your advice and wisdom. I truly hope that Mark can not catch the money bug that so many in so many different areas have. To be honest, even Atkins Nutritionals did the same thing by getting into bars and shakes. Originally they were setup to sell his vitamins.

But, again there is nothing wrong with profit from one's knowledge. I give mark a pass, because about 90-100 percent of what he writes in his book is available on his website, what I do like about the book is that it puts it at your fingertips so you don't have to go search for it.

And to be honest, I used to run my own website / blog on a different subject and if it gets popular, either you suck it up and pay for it or you find some way to make it pay for itself.

Mark's daily apple's web traffic and web bandwidth are incredible, the amount of visitors and the amount of data downloaded from there make me think the back end for the site isn't cheap.

Anyhow... Like I said, I give mark a Pass, because from the way he writes, and comes across he doesn't seem excessively out for the money, but really wants to promote this lifestyle.

Cheers!

John
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 07:45
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Awesome information.
I know what you mean about going to the next phase. I was thinking along those lines myslef.
I have done owl for a few weeks and then gone back to induction a couple of times.
I can eat almonds and continue to lose weight.
Strawberries not so much.
It is hard for me to go off of induction because I want to lose quickly. LOL I know its a process
I will start adding more veggies this week and keep studying the paleo diet. I haven't had any almonds in a week or so. I might just go get some.

This jumped out at me.
Strawberries are an allergic/sensitive food for many people. And I mean allerigc--strawberries=anaphlactic shock. It could be that you have a sensitivity to strawberries. You may want to try blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries.

One thing that I will say is that induction level carbs DOES NOT mean you will lose faster. Many people find that by following OWL and climbing the carb ladder, their losses either picked up or remained consisitent.

You really are doing a great disservice to yourself and sabotaging your sucess by attempting to follow induction until 10 pounds to goal.

JMO

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 08:16

BF:

As usual, cnmLisa beat me to it! Definitely try some other berries if strawberries are a staller for you, and work your way up the ladder to add more variety.

Some of the higher carb veggies and fruits on occasion can help to ensure that you don't get bored and end up back on the SAD and on the road to regaining all you've lost. Even if you find that you can't go much above 30 or 35 grams of carbs, it still doesn't mean that you can't experiment with some of the higher rungs! Just keep the portions small.

We all want immediate results -- unfortunately nature doesn't work that way. The moral of the old tortoise and the hare fable still holds true -- slow and steady wins the race!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 09:08
Registered Member

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 163/145/000 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 11%

I'm with JohnGibson on his opinion of Sisson. I don't think Sisson is all about the money. I haven't spent a dime on what I've learned from him, and I really don't think he's going to get rich off of a $10 book on Kindle, which will be my only Mark Sisson purchase. OTOH, he does sell his personal advice and guidance for the program, and I don't see anything wrong with that. I my 2002 Atkins, Dr. Atkins pushed his company's offerings, and he had every right to. If you don't make at least *some* profit, how are you going to continue to be able to spread the word?

The sheer volume of the information Sisson gives away indicates to me that his primary motive is to make people healthy. The costs of running his site are probably pretty big and include bandwidth *and* employees, among other things. As I said, I haven't given him a cent, and I've already lost 18 pounds just through the tips I received on his site. I'm down from 163 to 145 and still going.

But thanks for the link, Ron_Mocci. More reading for me, at least!