Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 11:53
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principal
Stats: 147/147/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Preferred carbs?

Hello to all Schwarzbeinians!

Since TSP allows a decent amount of carbs, I was wondering if anyone found that certain carbs were "better" for them than others. By better I mean more conducive to weight loss, higher energy, less bloating, etc. I seem to be having a problem figuring out what works best for me. When I began this program I'd basically stick in fruit wherever I had free carbs as a kind of dessert to my meals. But I started to wonder if maybe that sugar wasn't stalling me. So now I've limited my fruit intake to one serving a day and fill my carbs with other things, like potatoes or rice or nuts.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Tal

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 19:09

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi, Tal. I started out eating rice and potatoes and gave them up, not so much because they were stalling me, but because I found after a while I just didn't want them.

One of the things though that I keep going back to in the book is that if you eat enough non-starchy veges, you don't necessarily need to eat the starchy veges to make up the difference. I eat artichokes and avocados mostly for my starchy veges.

Avocados are particularly good because they have both carbs and great fat! And I love olives. It helped when I started counting all my carbs to see where I was. Also, don't forget to subtract the fibre carbs, they don't get absorbed by our bodies.

Fat is the other thing. I find that if I skimp on fat, I start to stall. And the more I read, the more I come to the realization that fat is perhaps the most important part of our diet. Also, animal fat is looking more and more like it is actually better for us than vegetable fats, at least polyunsaturated fats and hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated fats.

I can't wait to see what Dr. S. says in her new book. Amazon says I should get it by the end of next week or the following Monday!

Hope this helps,
;-Deb

#3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 16:02
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principal
Stats: 147/147/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Thanks Deb!

Deb

Thank you so much for the reply. I love reading your posts. I always find them well-worded and very wise and intelligent!

I agree that counting all the carbs helps. I've been a little lax about that since the beginning but I am now going to be more careful.

Interesting what you said about the fats. I'm a vegetarian so I don't exactly get those animal fats, except eggs and cheese, if there is any fat in eggs... Anyway, avocados sound like a good idea.

Tal
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 15:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question New Schwarbein Book

Hi there Debpenny,

It's good to read something from you again. I think it's a lovely idea to put your photo on the page, it's like I know you better just by seeing your face.

What is this interesting bit of news about a new SP book? I am still waiting for the first one to come into my library, I ordered it a couple of weeks ago, it's taking some time I must say, but I'm keen to read it.

What is this new one about?

Banana
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 11:10

BF:
Default TSP book

Hi, thanks for the lovely comments. It's great to be appreciated!

I ordered the TSP book and Amazon says it's supposed to be delivered by the 8th, but it hasn't even shipped yet. So I don't know when it will be here. But I am waiting with bated breath. I can't wait to read it.

;-Deb

#6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 13:57

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

Dew Tal, I try to pay attention to the glycemic levels of especially fruit. I love berries and cherries, they are all low glycemic. I try to keep bananna consumption limited, but do have a serving occasionally (they can make me feel bloated when I was eating low fat and would consume a lot per week.)Melons have the opposite effect on me I suppose because of the liquid content acting as a diuretic<of course watermelon if they are real ripe has to be kept in correct portion sizes as it has a higher glycemic level>. I like TSP because of the encouragement to consume a variety of good foods.

Have you tried fitday.com to see how the total picture is showing on the plan? I made a seperate post asking others about this site. I just discovered it! I think it may help me see where I might be missing the mark sometimes. I just do not lose if I don't limit my carbs to around 60 per day, but yet I feel terrible if I don't have at least that much as per 'TSP' guidelines. So I think the fitday.com site may help me with that balance by seeing the percentages. Of course someone on this plan will have a high percentage of fat on the pie chart, but that is to be expected.

Deb, I have the same message from amazon.com and understood that the 8th is when it is to be delivered *by* ~ if so I guess we can start reading by tommorrow evening! ~ I hope.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 14:53

BF:
Default But it hasn't shipped

But it hasn't shipped, Rosa, that's the problem. I've had this happen before when I preordered a book. They think it will ship by a certain date, but then the book isn't delivered to them by the publisher until after that date. They don't change our "expected delivery date" until they get the book in stock. So, at this point, I don't know when I will get my book...

About your 60 grams of carbs a day: I mix mine up. Some days I get 10 if I'm lucky. Other days I get close to 100. I haven't had any major stalls yet and I am hoping that by keeping my body guessing, I may not. At least that's my theory. I basically eat carbs as my mood affects me. Sometimes, all I want is a steak for dinner or some baked chicken -- no veges. I don't find that feel like I miss anything when I do this either.

;-Deb

#8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 08:48

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

Deb, it is the 9th and I am not reading the book, and I presume you are not either. I contacted Amazon yesterday via e-mail. They told me as some other poster on this forum said also:" I have contacted the publisher by phone for more information about this item. The representative with whom I spoke indicated that the publication date has been pushed back until fall. No month could be specified from the information they had as well." Oh well! I thought 'expected delivery date' meant I could expect it to be delivered by that date!? silly me! But I guess they cannot do that with a book that is not published.

I know after experimenting that I have to watch my carb count very carefully to lose, I can maintain very well on her suggested carb count. So if I *ever* reach goal, I know I can have more daily then.