Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 22:04
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 145/140/? Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Cool Snowboarding: energy & cold tolerance way up!

I went snowboarding today with a friend and it was absolutely wonderful. It was my first day out this season which normally gives me about 80% pain and 20% enjoyment. I generally feel lethargic, cold, sleepy and severe muscle exhaustion and I was psychologically prepared for this. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I didn't feel fatigued at all, my motivation and confidence were very high and I didn't get cold. My male companion who I board with on a regular basis was exhausted much before I was. So for me, my first day of snowboarding was 99% pleasure and about 1% pain (of course there's always frozen toes to account for that).

I have definately noticed how I don't seem to be phased by cold temperatures anymore. It was -10 C which normally would FREEZE me but it felt fine. The whole winter so far I've been noticing this. Has anyone else noticed their tolerance to cold temperatures has gone up?

Anyhow, just wanted to post this to motivate anyone new who might be checking the boards and wondering about some of the benefits of this way of eating. I also find it motivating to read the amazing changes that occur for other Paleo eating people.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 10:54

Plan: Neanderthin/Paleo
Stats: 147/123.2/121 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 92%

Thanks for sharing that!
I have just spent the last 2 weeks being bad and eating small amounts of bread (wholewheat) due to having very bad flu. I found that I just couldn't stomach bacon/eggs and other Paleo type foods while I was ill, so I had some bread and soup that contained thickeners.

Now that I'm feeling well again I plan on being extra strict about my Paleo diet, in the hopes of getting through Christmas without eating lots of sweet things.
I'm also looking froward to having that resistance to the cold that you were telling us about. It's starting to get very cold here!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 20:28

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello Arcticslug!! just wondering how long you have been eating this way?? also, don't know where you live but have you ever heard of Raging Buffalo Snowboard park? take care....and enjoy the snowboarding season! Kay
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 00:34

Plan: paleo, neanderthin, herbal
Stats: 185/182/180 Male 6-2
BF:
Progress:

I've noticed this phenomenon a little myself. Being tall, thin and from texas, I have always been sensitive to extreme cold. Over the last 2-3 years I have been keeping with the hunter&gatherer diet on and off again. This season I have been pretty strict and i have noticed that a) my exposure to sickness is not only shortened but less vigorous (that i consume herbs certainly helps) and b) the cold does not bother me as much. Last night I was outside for extended periods of time in just a white t-shirt and pants while it must have been nearing freezing and though slightly uncomfortable i thought it actually felt good.

I think part of this may be a function of improved blood flow.

john
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 13:01
Registered Member

Plan: neanderthin
Stats: 183/137/115 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

I've been following the paleo diet for about 6 weeks now and I've found I'm alot more comfortable outside this time of year than I ever was before. On the other hand, I get really cold in the house as soon as the temp drops to 73. Oh, well.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 14:45
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 145/140/? Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

Hi kay3osu.

I've been eating like this for about 3 months. It's great, although at the moment I'm on a business trip and have been eating somewhat "less-than-paleo" for the last 2 days. Not too badly though. Anyhow now I'm getting back on track. And no, I haven't heard of Raging Buffalo Snowboard Park. I live in northern British Columbia where it's generally quite cold. Lately though it's been almost freezing temperature instead of way below....everyone blames it on global warming.

Anyhow I am still having a much better resistance to cold and it feels great!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 17:09

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Arcticslug, well that would make sense then that you have never heard of raging buffalo! well, it's in Chicago, IL and it's snowboarding only. i'm sure nothing as great as the places you can snowboard. well, take care...stay warm K