Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 13:49

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%
Default I think I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown

I think I'm going to be sick.

My company just announced yesterday that they will be laying off 7000 people effectively immediately ongoing up until the early part of 2009 because of the turbulant economic times.

I'm gonna be sick.

Being a consultant that doesn't sound good. Already spoke to my manager and he said that technologies already cut what there gonna cut, but there are no guarantees.

Did I mention I'm gonna be sick.

I'm trying to keep my head up, praying that I'll be bypassed, but I know in the interim I need to get my resume updated and start looking to see what's out there just incase I get I'm axed.

Dive deeply into who you really are, and have the courage to explore your most treasured dreams. Keep yourself connected to those dreams, and they will play out upon the stage of your life. ~Ralph Marston

Live life abundantly and enjoy yourself in your “Journey To Wellness” because it is by the grace of God that we are able to do so. ~Gail~

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of you heart ~Psalms 37:4
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 14:36

Plan: ?????
Stats: 239.9/196/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 46%

All you can do is think positive and prepare. We hear rumors about dh's company a few months ago and socked away every extra dime. He is officially unemployed this week.
Just prepare and hope for the best!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-08, 10:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 110/89/100 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 210%

Oh sorry...I know it is very unsettling.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 22:57

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Hope you're feeling better today... Better to be prepared and start networking now... In this economy one never knows...

TJ
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 23:44

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 257/232/200 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Wow,
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 13:45

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Make a plan

We're laying off 24,600.

I'm not trying to play "can you top this." This will be my fourth career layoff. It happens, more in some fields than it others. Get your papers in order, reduce outflow as much as possible, and make a plan for what you will do the first week you're unemployed. I'll finish my next book.

What Color is Your Parachute is the book to get on your way out the door. The more preparation you can do while you still work there, the smoother the transition to whatever will be your next adventure.

It's hell to live through, it can (but doesn't have to) ruin finances, and you can use sick time to interview if you see it coming. In no way does it have to ruin a way of eating that works.

You will probably be ok on the other side. Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 14:04

Plan: Maintaining
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5' 7"
BF:I'm/at/GOAL!
Progress: 105%

Several of my friends have been laid off just in the last month. I just thought I would share with you my friends Robyn's feelings about it.

She was laid off without any notice 2 weeks ago and she is a single mom of two very small children with no help whatsoever from her ex. Robyn sat at home and cried for two days. Then she got extremely sick for three days - yes the :Puking: - we couldn't even get her to answer her phone. Then after the 5 days of suffering she called me and said. "Everything happens for a reason - yes I am still worried and stressed - but I will get up everyday and thank God for my kids, my life and I know deep down either I will get a better job or he will provide for me what I need so that I can take care of my babies."

I am really hoping you don't get laid off and that you are just worrying for nothing, but if that is not the case I really hope you will look and see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Get everything in order now in case you need it.

Good luck!!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 19:43
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I'm on my 4th career and may be on my way to a 5th one. I've been reading your posts here for a while now. You *can* and *will*come out on the other side just fine because you have a great attitude. That counts more than anything else when things get tough, and don't let *anyone* tell you otherwise.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-08, 09:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm sorry you're going through this. Sure is a scary time right now. I'm unemployed too. I've never had any problems getting jobs before but this time looks different.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-08, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
This will be my fourth career layoff. It happens, more in some fields than it others.

Thanks everybody for your positive feedback.

Like you carver this will be my fourth or fifth career layoff...I've lost count. Being an I.T Consultant/Contractor it can happen more often. You'd think I'd be use to it by now, but you never get use to it. Change takes adjustments, it's a transition and I'm just trying to do it smoothly no matter how much it will make my nerves go haywire.

Yesterday, we found out that 4 V.P.s and their teams got the boot and now they are moving on to Sr. Management. That being said, I have cleaned out my office and brought everything home. No. I don't know for sure if I'm getting the boot yet, but if and when I do - I don't want to have a bunch of office desk crap to have to carry out the door with me. I always do this when there is a possiblity of a layoff. It helps me to prepare mentally and I just like having just my purse in hand when I walk out. Don't want to hear any extra drama or boo hoo's and were sorry stuff...just walk out the door without all the crap of sad looking peers.

So next Wednesday, we will here of more layoffs.

In the meantime, my employer who actually outsourced me to this site that is doing the laying off has assured me that they will have another project ready for me so that I SHOULD have a smooth transaction into the next project/contract.

Fortunately, my contract states that the company I'm outsourced to is required to give me a 30 day notice or pay me for the 30 days should they want me to leave sooner.

Hopefully, everything goes as smooth as my recruiter/employer states, but I've learned from past experiences not to rely on that and to seek out future contracts for myself.

Well, here's hoping all this worry is for nothing, but heck let's be realistic here...these are turbulent economic times therefore, I will continue updating my resume this week.

However, to keep me sane, I'll swim my tail off on Saturday morning which always takes a lot of stress away followed by sailing on Sunday. Were scheduled to have 90 degree weather this weekend so if there are no gale force winds on Sunday - then after church service I will sail my blues away.

Here's hoping for the best to us all in these crazy times.

Dive deeply into who you really are, and have the courage to explore your most treasured dreams. Keep yourself connected to those dreams, and they will play out upon the stage of your life. ~Ralph Marston

Live life abundantly and enjoy yourself in your “Journey To Wellness” because it is by the grace of God that we are able to do so. ~Gail~

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of you heart ~Psalms 37:4
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-08, 22:10
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/191/162 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 50%

Sh!t......what else can I say to that other than I hope you get contracted to another project....right quick! The USofA is in turmoil...cant predict where or who it is going to happen to.......GE....gm, ford, b of a, citibank all are trading from 1994 COST...HELLO....CRAZY....I will say this....all of the employees at my work are safe....I will NOT let them go for a minute...a(minus the receptionist) we always seem to hire bad recoptionist...I am truly hoping for a new project for you that will last a year......in IT terms that will work ya?

Praying for you....and I so DONT say that lightly!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 03:05

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeeM
Praying for you....and I so DONT say that lightly!

Me too, wishing you well!!!

TJ
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-08, 13:08

Well the day has come.

Just received notice today that my last day will be January 2, 2009.

Well, at least their letting me hang around through the holidays.

Looks like it's gonna *really* be a change for the New Year for me.

Well, folks, here goes.

#14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-08, 13:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I'm so sorry this is happening to you! I can relate having just been told my last day in my current job is Friday and having to go back to my old job until I can find something else (significantly less $.... sigh).

I will tell you what my good friend always tells me when bad stuff happens: If not this, then something better.

May we both find it quickly.

take care, Julie
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-08, 15:32
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I have faith that your new year will be a good one *with* the changes.